BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I was just wondering if anyone has run the Road 5's on the S1000RR and if they worked at all.

I have the tools and equipment to mount/balance my own tires and was considering the Road 5's for daily commuting and weekend canyon carving. I'd swap to a Q3+ or similar for track days next year and don't mind putting in the work to swap tires when needed. Maybe someday I'll have a second set of wheels.

I've run two sets of the Road 5's on a Yamaha FJ-09 and loved the tires. The FJ-09 is a little heavier and half the horsepower. I generally put around 8-10k miles / year on my motorcycles so I need a tire for commuting that will last a bit longer while also working at a street pace in the mountains. These tires were great for as fast as I wanted to go on the Yamaha FJ-09, but I've no clue how they might work with the S1000RR.

Even being gentle on the Metzler Racetec K3, they don't look like I'll get much mileage at all (They were on the bike when I purchased it).

Suggestions are welcome and appreciated!

Also considering options like the Michelin Power RS, Bridgestone Battlax T31, etc...

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Hello! I was just wondering if anyone has run the Road 5's on the S1000RR and if they worked at all.

I have the tools and equipment to mount/balance my own tires and was considering the Road 5's for daily commuting and weekend canyon carving. I'd swap to a Q3+ or similar for track days next year and don't mind putting in the work to swap tires when needed. Maybe someday I'll have a second set of wheels.

I've run two sets of the Road 5's on a Yamaha FJ-09 and loved the tires. The FJ-09 is a little heavier and half the horsepower. I generally put around 8-10k miles / year on my motorcycles so I need a tire for commuting that will last a bit longer while also working at a street pace in the mountains. These tires were great for as fast as I wanted to go on the Yamaha FJ-09, but I've no clue how they might work with the S1000RR.

Even being gentle on the Metzler Racetec K3, they don't look like I'll get much mileage at all (They were on the bike when I purchased it).

Also considering options like the Michelin Power RS, Bridgestone Battlax T31, etc...
I'm at 31000kms +/- a few hundred and on my 3rd set of Racetec K3 RR tires same as came on the bike on delivery last year April. I like the feel and think the longevity I get from them is reasonable given the bikes capability to eat tires. I'd love to hear what other people chime in with as their tires of choice for commuting purposes + weekend fun in canyons. My bike will never see a track as I can't afford to replace it when I crash. I rode to Colorado last year and had a new set put on at 11,000kms then rode 7 days around the state through a lot of mountain roads then slabbed it home. Got 11k kms on that set before putting new tires on this spring. I've now put over 9k on this set and they look like they can take at least another 2-3k kms. If nothing else they are consistent for the riding I do and I commute a lot on my bike when the weather is nice. Car is for rainy days or cold mornings/evenings when riding to/from work wouldn't be fun anyways.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I'm at 31000kms +/- a few hundred and on my 3rd set of Racetec K3 RR tires same as came on the bike on delivery last year April. I like the feel and think the longevity I get from them is reasonable given the bikes capability to eat tires. I'd love to hear what other people chime in with as their tires of choice for commuting purposes + weekend fun in canyons. My bike will never see a track as I can't afford to replace it when I crash. I rode to Colorado last year and had a new set put on at 11,000kms then rode 7 days around the state through a lot of mountain roads then slabbed it home. Got 11k kms on that set before putting new tires on this spring. I've now put over 9k on this set and they look like they can take at least another 2-3k kms. If nothing else they are consistent for the riding I do and I commute a lot on my bike when the weather is nice. Car is for rainy days or cold mornings/evenings when riding to/from work wouldn't be fun anyways.
:surprise:so you're getting 10k km out of k3's ??

I only got 3000 out of them. I can get 10k out of Rosso 3's if I'm gentle with them, but nowhere near your mileage...mostly commuting but with 2 track days and a week long scratching in the twisties.

·
Registered
748 Posts

Rosso Corso 2

·
Registered
736 Posts
my rear K3 only lasted about 5,000 kms. Worth it though as its a great tyre.

I recently put Roadtec 01's on one of my bikes, also a really good tyre. Handles wet roads really well and its pretty good for weekend scratching (but not as good as the K3). I would expect a much longer life out of them too.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
my rear K3 only lasted about 5,000 kms. Worth it though as its a great tyre.

I recently put Roadtec 01's on one of my bikes, also a really good tyre. Handles wet roads really well and its pretty good for weekend scratching (but not as good as the K3). I would expect a much longer life out of them too.
How many miles do you have on the Roadtec 01's? My experience with them was that they run flat down the center really early. I was getting some uneven wear towards the shoulders, but that was from an overly soft stock suspension issue on the FJ-09.

I've read a lot of good comparisons and reviews showing the Road 5 as a great all around tire, even on sport bikes. So I'm really leaning towards trying them, considering their lifespan. The pairs that I had on the FJ-09 maintained a nice rounded profile on the rear, even at fully worn. I treated metered on-ramps like drag trees and rode that bike with TC off and regularly floated the front wheel. The CP3 engine was a lot of fun, and I see why it gets the hooligan nod of approval.

·
Registered
758 Posts
You say you want to commute and do some canyon carving? It's a tradeoff, longevity vs. grip...buy the right tire for canyon carving and don't worry about the mileage...cause tires are a lot cheaper than bike parts! At least on the front!

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
You say you want to commute and do some canyon carving? It's a tradeoff, longevity vs. grip...buy the right tire for canyon carving and don't worry about the mileage...cause tires are a lot cheaper than bike parts! At least on the front!
While I agree that tires are cheaper than bike parts I don't see why there can't be as balance struck between longevity and grip. After all Michelin and many other tire brands are running 2 or in some cases 3 different compounds in one tire to provide just this balance of reduced wear in the center from slabbing it to and from places and soft grippy velcro like compounds near the edge to keep you from losing control. Add in all the fancy electronics our bikes have (DTC,ABS,DDC) and you can really dial in for fun on the twisties without having to buy 2 sets of tires between services. Track days well thats a different story and with no experience on a bike at a track and only reading/seeing pictures or videos and I can safely say that the best way to get the most out of a track day is to have the right training, proper suspension setup, and proper tires. I wouldn't want to trust road tires to sustain the workout a track can dish out hence why there's track only tires on the market.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Dont know how some get such high miles from the K3s when the front wears out super fast. They must weigh like 135 lbs or something.
But I would look at the Metzler M7 RR if I were you

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dont know how some get such high miles from the K3s when the front wears out super fast. They must weigh like 135 lbs or something.
But I would look at the Metzler M7 RR if I were you
Man, I wish I had seen this before I went to work this morning. That looks like exactly what I'm looking for and at a good price too! I'd have ordered a pair because those seem to tick all my boxes.

But... I went to commute this morning and the rear tire was flat. I was really hoping to get another 1 to 1.5k miles out of the set, so I grabbed the car keys and drove the beater to work today. I ordered a pair of Road 5's because I've trusted them on previous motorcycles and have taken them to about an 1/8" of the edge in the mountains and they also performed well for emergency stops in the rain without drama.

That said, I'm not fast. My first time in the mountains on the RR, I did hit 45 degrees of lean according to the dash, but that was also while being towed along by faster riders with good lines who were purportedly "taking it easy and chilling". I'm pretty sure I hit 40-45 degrees on a regular basis on my FJ-09 as well (measured by pausing video at max lean, take a screenshot, then use the rotation tool in a picture editor to level the horizon and check the angle). So I have confidence the Road 5's will handle my current pace if they handled a heavier motorcycle without issue.

I'll get something specific for the track next year when I'm more familiar and comfortable/confident on the RR (it's still new to me).

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
This is the 4th set of Metzler M7's I put on mine since the OEM Supercorsa's wore out. I highly recommend them. Sticky, and reasonably priced (WAY cheaper than the Supercorsa's). While they don't make you feel like Superman like the Supercorsa's do, they're a great tire, sticky even at lower temps (40deg F), and I've gotten from 4,300-5,500 miles out of them. The key to tire life on the street is proper STREET tire pressure. 99% of the people who THINK they're fast enough on the street to run race tire pressures on the street, AREN'T, and all low tire pressure does is eat tires. I got 5,600+ miles out of the rear Supercorsa though I had to replace the front at 2,700mi. I was running my usual 40psi rear, 34psi front, and I know that kind of mileage isn't a fluke or because I baby it, because a couple others here got about that running the same pressures. People told me they would only last 1,500mi! LOL

·
Registered
241 Posts
This is the 4th set of Metzler M7's I put on mine since the OEM Supercorsa's wore out. I highly recommend them. Sticky, and reasonably priced (WAY cheaper than the Supercorsa's). While they don't make you feel like Superman like the Supercorsa's do, they're a great tire, sticky even at lower temps (40deg F), and I've gotten from 4,300-5,500 miles out of them. The key to tire life on the street is proper STREET tire pressure. 99% of the people who THINK they're fast enough on the street to run race tire pressures on the street, AREN'T, and all low tire pressure does is eat tires. I got 5,600+ miles out of the rear Supercorsa though I had to replace the front at 2,700mi. I was running my usual 40psi rear, 34psi front, and I know that kind of mileage isn't a fluke or because I baby it, because a couple others here got about that running the same pressures. People told me they would only last 1,500mi! LOL
I run 39 psi rear and 34 psi front like Ive done with all tires on all bikes Ive ridden. But the Metzler K3 front tire is just about at the wear bars at 1900 miles! Ive never ever had a front tire wear that fast, the back has plenty of tread.
Have a set of Pirelli Diablo Corsa II ready to go when needed. I would never buy the Metzler K3s ever.

·
Registered
136 Posts
(I didnt read all the replies)

My wife and I recently bought a new to us 2016 that had a set of these on it with about 200 miles of use. We took the bike right tot he track and I was surprised at the level of grip they provided. They hadnled well and in my opinion they probably make a great street tire.

That said, my wife was able to over heat them on the track and we changed them out for standard track tires.

Anyone want to buy a set of the Road 5's with less than 300 miles on them I have em for you.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
(I didnt read all the replies)

My wife and I recently bought a new to us 2016 that had a set of these on it with about 200 miles of use. We took the bike right tot he track and I was surprised at the level of grip they provided. They hadnled well and in my opinion they probably make a great street tire.

That said, my wife was able to over heat them on the track and we changed them out for standard track tires.

Anyone want to buy a set of the Road 5's with less than 300 miles on them I have em for you.

Awesome, I'm glad a track rider was impressed with the grip levels on these given their street bias.

What kind of pace do you and your wife run? Were you using stock recommended pressures or close to the recommended 34 front & 40 rear? I'm wondering if they overheated because of lower pressures or from fast pacing. Was there any drama from the tires or did they give you good feedback at faster riding paces?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Pace? Well I rode them slow, medium and fast. I am former racer as is my wife. We are both instructors at a local track day org. So, we put a little pace on them. Not race pace but enough to keep the slow and medium speed riders behind us.:grin2:

We ran them at 34 both front and rear I believe. That was the hard part as I could not find anything for pressures other than what Michelin recommended on their website which said run what the OEM Manufacturer of the bike says to run. :serious:

We took them off because the profile of the tire is street oriented not track oriented and they were not up to the task of running at pace for an entire day. There was no drama with them and in a pinch if there was no tire vendor to by new tires, we could have run them all day if needed.

Again though, keep in mind these are a street tire for sure, they just happened to not get upset on the track too much at a moderate pace for a few sessions.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Pace? Well I rode them slow, medium and fast. I am former racer as is my wife. We are both instructors at a local track day org. So, we put a little pace on them. Not race pace but enough to keep the slow and medium speed riders behind us.:grin2:

We ran them at 34 both front and rear I believe. That was the hard part as I could not find anything for pressures other than what Michelin recommended on their website which said run what the OEM Manufacturer of the bike says to run. :serious:

We took them off because the profile of the tire is street oriented not track oriented and they were not up to the task of running at pace for an entire day. There was no drama with them and in a pinch if there was no tire vendor to by new tires, we could have run them all day if needed.

Again though, keep in mind these are a street tire for sure, they just happened to not get upset on the track too much at a moderate pace for a few sessions.
That's perfect, thanks for your impressions. Judging by the track-day junkie folks I've ridden with, I'd objectively says I might be fast novice or slow intermediate category. I'll find out for sure next spring =)

It's good to know I'm not likely to out-ride the tires just having a bit of fun in the mountains.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I got 7380 miles and 2 trackdays (advanced group) out of my Dunlop Q3+ before hitting the wear bar and having to change both tires. It also included many hundred times riding on one wheel. I was pretty impressed! Especially my last set lasted me ~4300miles.

I ran 34/36psi street and 32/30 track on this set, and 31/34 previous set. No track miles or one wheel riding on previous set either.

Tire pressure really makes a difference on these tires.

·
Registered
121 Posts
For a low cost great tire that last long and does well all around the Z8. Otherwise in North America I would be looking at the road smart 3

My go to tire for a daily commute option is the now some what old Metzeler Roadtec Z8. The Z8 is a great honest tire it was the original knee stagger sport touring tire. Also, at least from the German vantage point Metzeler should have improved them but not got rid of them. The German police pretty much keep that tire in production because it’s their tested tire for their motorcycles.

I was stopped by the German police for passing for passing on the right, a more serious offense than speeding. The police officer checked my documents and looked over my bike. He noticed the Z8 and started telling me how much he loved the tire and used it on his personal machine. Than he let me go.

Germans don’t like the Michelin Road 4/5. Yes they can do all they advertise, but the W rated speed is a falsehood for the autobahn. The intricate channels and reverse camber groves don’t fair well for kind duration at 200kph or 120 MPH.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts