BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to install a trailer hitch on my SUV (2010 Infiniti FX50). But it has an aftermarket exhaust (Ark Performance), so the standard trailer hitches available don't fit. Does anyone know a shop that builds custom trailer hitches in Ontario (preferably close to Toronto, but willing to travel to a reputable shop). Been trying to achieve the dream of "starting" going to tracks; really don't want to be renting track bikes or anything.

·
Super Moderator
6,479 Posts
I'd ask the guys at Ark, or check on the Infiniti forums. You are definitely in the minority with that vehicle.

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i've been at it for months, and i've been on other forums for years including multiple Infiniti forums.. just need a fabrication shop who knows what they're doing.

·
Super Moderator
6,479 Posts
Hard to find, too much liability. Can you modify the Class 3 hitch a bit to get it to fit? I've seen a few offset on the right to allow for the big hamster fart can (not that yours is like that).

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I might have to resort to just installing a Curt class III, they fit but those things really stick out like a soar thumb, plus I gotta gut quite a bit from under the car, not a pretty install.. The OE hitch is really good in as in its hidden and very clean welds, but its a class II

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You know, I'd go with that.. But I find as if there's a hurdle at every step. The OE hitch is discontinued, but I found it on website that ships only to US and not Canada. Then comes shipping.. its $140US, the hitch itself costs $300.. so I'm looking at about $600US installed/on-the-road cost. Then there's the trailer, still not sure which one I'm getting that wouldn't exceed a class 2 hitch capacity and still would be useful/spacious. And I haven't even started with bike parts for track (fairings, fasteners, windscreen, water wetter, tire warmers, generator, etc)... This is gonna be a long journey to track lol although it would feel rewarding based on my experience last summer at a 2day track school (FAST riding school).

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
renting a uhaul van for 2 track days will end up costing me the same as having my own hitch and trailer setup, they're good for moving within Toronto, but cost a fortune for long distance back and forth. I'll have to do a bit more studying and see if the OE hitch is the way to go.

·
Administrator
7,669 Posts
Call an Infiniti junk jard. You may get kucky. If they dont have it, ask them to put it on the "wire". All junk yards in LA are connected through this "walkie talkie" system and can locate a part quickly if another junk yard close by has it. Other cities should be the same. if you find one make sure to ask them for the hardware to save you looking for the correct grade 8 nuts / washers / bolts.

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Sal and Chris. I'll see what can be found. Fingers crossed.. I have the whole winter to do make something happen.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts