BMW S1000RR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
483 Posts
More likely the change was due to minor shrinkage in the plug material over 4 years, rather than changes in your ears. If you were 16 years old when you had them made and now you're 20...yeah, I could see that. But the difference between a good seal and a not-so-good seal is almost microscopic; a gel lubricant that fills the miniscule gap that's causing noise might just be the ticket. I know you ordered some Crescendo...it'd be interesting if you tried it with your 4 year-old plugs to see if it makes the seal you lost due to potential plug shrinkage. It did for me...
Ears never stop growing, that is a fact. Also your nose. My plugs were 15 years old, not 4 years old, you might have miss-read what I said. I said they have not fit nearly as well for about the last 4 years.
Spoke in depth with Marilyn ( she is a certified audiologist) about this and she said you can figure your plugs generally should continue to fit for about 6 to 8 years max.

Reactions: flyryder and Elk

·
Registered
870 Posts
They work fantastic and the audio is really excellent... I use the version with the dual driver. It is VERY easy to plug in the Cardo, especially if you modify your wire to plug in like I did (see below).
Or see the second attached photo that someone did 3D printing.

Does this look about right?
  • COLOR: 1 ear red + 1 ear blue
  • LENGTH: 22 in (56 cm) SHIELDED wire
  • SPEAKER VERSION: DUAL driver (2 each ear)
  • EAR IMPRESSIONS: NO- need fitting kit to make them
  • CUSTOM EARPLUGS: no
  • CHOOSE SHIPPING: ways USPS First Class Mail

·
Premium Member
483 Posts
Does this look about right?
  • COLOR: 1 ear red + 1 ear blue
  • LENGTH: 22 in (56 cm) SHIELDED wire
  • SPEAKER VERSION: DUAL driver (2 each ear)
  • EAR IMPRESSIONS: NO- need fitting kit to make them
  • CUSTOM EARPLUGS: no
  • CHOOSE SHIPPING: ways USPS First Class Mail
I have everything exactly the same as you are looking at except I did the 3.5 ft cord because I like to use them when I fly on airplanes. Rode to work today in this crazy beautiful Sacramento weather and enjoyed them while listening to Aerosmith :)

·
Registered
870 Posts
I have everything exactly the same as you are looking at except I did the 3.5 ft cord because I like to use them when I fly on airplanes. Rode to work today in this crazy beautiful Sacramento weather and enjoyed them while listening to Aerosmith :)
Thanks. I'm out of the country but will give this a go on my return. My Cardo Packtalk Slim is a bit different - split into two pieces for much lower aerodynamic profile in my X14 - but it should be similar. At worst, I'll get out my soldering iron and heat shrink tubing.

I almost never listen to music when riding. I normally listen to Tool, which provokes far more sociopathic riding than Aerosmith. I want the ear protection, Bluetooth Nav/Phone, and intercom (when rarely with buddies).

·
Premium Member
483 Posts
I got the Crescendo goo and will report back on results of using it over my usual technique of giving my ear plugs a lick.

·
Premium Member
483 Posts
I gave the stuff a go yesterday. It made inserting the earphones easy but probably no easier than a little lick. I am sure the Crescendo is more sanitary than a lick.
I did feel like the stuff doesn't dry out so if the earphone moved a little in my ear it was like having a wet willie but that may also help keep them sealed. I am going to give it another try today and see if it is a thumbs up or down for me.

Reactions: shifty_90
21 - 28 of 28 Posts