BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After years of "sometimes good, sometimes bad" seals on my custom silicone earplugs using a common lubricant, I found a product that is made of natural ingredients, is a gel-like substance and seals extremely well. Seems to fill the space between the earplug and ear canal which, while very small, can let sound in. My other bike, an F800GT is known for wind noise issues related to the windscreen design and after using this product, I went riding and found the ride was much quieter, even at 90 mph.

Just throwing this out, in case I'm not the only one with ears that hear wind noise a bit TOO well.

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
Just ordered some to give it a whirl. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I just give the a good lick and then shove mine in. Last thing I need to more lubes and **** to worry about.

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
Crap - I would have tried this but I threw mine away last week because they never seal! Oh well, foam is fine for me.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've tried them all...foam, moldable silicone and custom. Having challenging ear canals meant that custom was the only route open to me. The lube I used previously was too thin to create a good seal, though it made putting the earplugs into the ear easier. This stuff (Crescendo) is more of a "gel", and it solves the problem of sound getting around the earplug. Having spent way too much money chasing solutions to the wind noise problem (including many failed windscreen experiments), this stuff is a reminder that the best solution is usually the simplest.

·
4,645 Posts
What happened to spit on it, rub it in? That works for me, never had issues sealing.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What happened to spit on it, rub it in? That works for me, never had issues sealing.
If that works for you, that's good. For others where it doesn't work, this is a viable alternative.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My custom earplugs don't work at all never have. I lick em and they seal for about ten minutes. I went back to foam ones.
Gonna try this.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My custom earplugs don't work at all never have. I lick em and they seal for about ten minutes. I went back to foam ones.
Gonna try this.
I think you'll be pleasantly surprised, and develop a new appreciation for your custom plugs.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
One cause of sealing problems is our ears keep growing and changing. The life of custom ear plugs is limited.
An audiologist told me that fluctuations in weight will also affect the seal. However, I have had my current custom plugs for about 3 years now, and this Crescendo lubricant made for a perfect seal.

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
One cause of sealing problems is our ears keep growing and changing. The life of custom ear plugs is limited.
This is so true. I got some custom plugs made in 2005 and in the last 4 years they have less and less fit. Had a new set made (finally) about 3 months ago and they are back to the perfect little world I loved when I got my old pair.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Has anyone found a custom-mold earphone solution for under the helmet? I use a Cardo Packtalk Slim for Bluetooth audio integration and intercom when with buddies. But I would like to get both better sound and ear protection. Easy connection to the Cardo/helmet is obviously necessary.

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
Has anyone found a custom-mold earphone solution for under the helmet? I use a Cardo Packtalk Slim for Bluetooth audio integration and intercom when with buddies. But I would like to get both better sound and ear protection. Easy connection to the Cardo/helmet is obviously necessary.
I use these with my PackTalk Bold. My first set lasted about 15 years and I just got a new set done at the International Motorcycle Show:

·
Registered
394 Posts
I use these with my PackTalk Bold. My first set lasted about 15 years and I just got a new set done at the International Motorcycle Show:
Thanks. This looks really interesting.

How well do they work? How is the audio? How is the noise cancelation? How quick/easy is it to connect to the helmet/packtalk each time you put it on?

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This is so true. I got some custom plugs made in 2005 and in the last 4 years they have less and less fit. Had a new set made (finally) about 3 months ago and they are back to the perfect little world I loved when I got my old pair.
More likely the change was due to minor shrinkage in the plug material over 4 years, rather than changes in your ears. If you were 16 years old when you had them made and now you're 20...yeah, I could see that. But the difference between a good seal and a not-so-good seal is almost microscopic; a gel lubricant that fills the miniscule gap that's causing noise might just be the ticket. I know you ordered some Crescendo...it'd be interesting if you tried it with your 4 year-old plugs to see if it makes the seal you lost due to potential plug shrinkage. It did for me...

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
They work fantastic and the audio is really excellent... I use the version with the dual driver. It is VERY easy to plug in the Cardo, especially if you modify your wire to plug in like I did (see below).
Or see the second attached photo that someone did 3D printing.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts