BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I am in the market for custom ear plugs, preferably that also have the option of communication built in. I was looking at those from E.A.R. Does anyone have any recommendations?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Also using earmould in au and just waiting now to pick up a new pair with bluetooth

·
Premium Member
466 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
For what it's worth.
I've had 2 different brands of custom fitted hearing protection made and neither will stay in my ear canal when putting on and removing the helmet. Even the soft bubble gum style will not stay in place.
Maybe I'm weird.
EAR UltraFit ,the yellow tapered baffle style is the only protection to stay in place.
Go Figure ??

·
Vendor
2,842 Posts
You could visit the international motorcycle shows and they usually have a vendor that does these molded ear plugs on the spot. Check out the new BMW S1000XR while you are there. Just not in TEXAS. BMW was a no show in TEXAS event.

Reactions: bennymx

·
Registered
452 Posts
I attended the International Motorcycle Show last year in Chicago and had the last set of custom hearing protection made that will not stay in place.
And YES I did checkout the new S1000RR.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Late to this, but I’ve tried many and found that wired custom plugs inevitably catch on something and the wire gets pulled out of the ear piece if it’s all silicone. I think they make as much doing repairs as new sales. Consequently, my next set will be from Big Ear; they make theirs with the wire captured by a hard shell on the outside while retaining comfort via all silicone on the inside.

·
Premium Member
466 Posts
Late to this, but I’ve tried many and found that wired custom plugs inevitably catch on something and the wire gets pulled out of the ear piece if it’s all silicone. I think they make as much doing repairs as new sales. Consequently, my next set will be from Big Ear; they make theirs with the wire captured by a hard shell on the outside while retaining comfort via all silicone on the inside.
EVERY SINGLE time someone post about Big Ear they are a spammer.... Let's see how you play out....

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Not me. On my current mounts, I’m got 43,000 miles on RRs (‘14 & ‘17) and 80,000 miles on my K1300GT. I’ve used wired ear plugs from four different sources that cost from $300 to $900 and I really hate it when the d—- wire gets pulled out. Sorry if I stepped in it.

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
I have the Nonoise ear plugs. They have been good for the first half of a 100 mile ride and then post-break, don’t seal as well as they should. Had the eargasms before these. They lasted 6 months with similar fitment issues.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
so don't get my hopes up for the eargasm, or plan on replacing. the injectible ones were the best. They were actually part of the process for getting custom fit wired ear buds. They fit great, though the sound quality wasn't awesome. the molds were great earplugs though.

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
Well, I have a weird left ear canal. When I try to use the typical "marshmallow" type with the foam piece, I have to jam it in my left ear so hard to keep it from falling out that after a long day of riding and putting it in and taking them out, that my ear is scraped raw and painful. After a day it started bleeding. Screw that. So, I ran across these and they've been the best in-ear earbuds I've aver used, and I've used them exclusively for probably 7 years now. Custom is probably best, BUT, before you spend that $$ try these. I HIGHLY recommend them and they sound good and are cheap and last a long time. Clean the silicone covers regularly and they won't fall off the actual speakers. They make another model with a volume control if you want it. I opted out of those because of the extra garbage in the signal path and, more importantly, the chance of rain shorting it out. Give 'em a try.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Custom would be the way to go if possible. One of my ear canals is slightly smaller than the other.

I have used NoNoise and currently use and prefer the fit of the Pinlock ones.
Good performance.

It's a bad idea to ride without hearing protection for any prolonged amount of time.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Custom would be the way to go if possible. One of my ear canals is slightly smaller than the other.

I have used NoNoise and currently use and prefer the fit of the Pinlock ones.
Good performance.

It's a bad idea to ride without hearing protection for any prolonged amount of time.
it's not just long term hearing damage, but i've had balance issues before too. Not with a helmet, but on HD/choppers w/o anything.

i rode the HD back to my hometown about 2 hours in cold weather one night after partying til 2 am at UNI. So yes, i had a few drinks, but was far from 'drunk'. i was following a semi a lot of the way home to stay warmer, and it changed the air flow dynamics over my ears. when i got home, i put down the kickstand, stepped off the bike, and almost fell over.

i knew it wasn't alcohol, but figured the air over the ears messed up my internal balance. was kinda scary i'd been riding like that.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts