BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I attended CSS at Laguna Seca for a two day school 2 nd week of Oct. Fantastic! Talk about drinking from the fire hose for a newb like me. So much to learn! But I loved it. Not only did it greatly improve my skills but it gave me a better insight into just how skilled the pros are. I will definitely enjoy watching races even more. Since I have been riding my goal is to take some type of advanced rider training every year.
My only mistake is attending the school so late in the year. There is precious little time to practice new skills before the snow flies here in Wisconsin.

·
Premium Member
1,100 Posts
I'm considering the same. A few off topic questions for ya.

Did you fly into L.A?
Rent a car?
Traffic blow?
Where did you stay?

·
Premium Member
461 Posts

Did you fly into L.A?
Rent a car?
Traffic blow?
Where did you stay?
Laguna Seca is a loooong way from LA. SFO or SJC would be where you would want to fly in.
For traffic this can give you a good idea of weekday traffic patterns and when not to be on the road:
https://youtu.be/O4Bx0ygwBxo

Reactions: Torchsport

·
Premium Member
1,100 Posts
Yeah....Never been to Cali, so I know it's a bunch of n0ob questions.

Thanks.

·
Registered
408 Posts

Did you fly into L.A?
Rent a car?
Traffic blow?
Where did you stay?
I did the Laguna Seca CSS in 2015. I flew into Oakland, rented a car and drove about 2 hours to stay in Monterey at a place called the Spindrift Inn. It was nice enough. There are lots of other choices in Monterey and Carmel. It's then about a 25 minutes drive to the track each day. San Jose airport would be about an hour closer, if you have a good flight into there. All drive times are very traffic dependent. I scheduled my flights around the traffic as much as possible. Traffic can get very bad out there.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yeah....Never been to Cali, so I know it's a bunch of n0ob questions.

Thanks.
You can take a regional puddle jumper jet from LAX/SFO/SAN to Monterrey airport (MRY). The flights can be relatively cheap -- google shows $430 from MSP to MRY. I've never been to Laguna Seca -- I've been to the airport and driven through a few times. Monterrey is awesome, especially if you can rent a nice car/bike and do some exploring.

I just drank from the Vegas CSS newb firehose. gotmilk, did Laguna Seca intimidate you as a first-time track?

·
Registered
145 Posts
For those that haven't been to CSS...Dylan, Cobie, Jon G. and the entire team are a class act.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
My only mistake is attending the school so late in the year. There is precious little time to practice new skills before the snow flies here in Wisconsin.
That's what happened for me the first time. I went to a 2 day camp at Vegas in November. So the second time I did their 2 day camp, I did one during the Spring time :smile2:.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I wonder if the Australian arm will ever entertain the idea of a 2 day camp?

BTW. I'll be doing level 2 next January at Eastern Creek.

·
Premium Member
1,100 Posts
The gf and I are planning a trip to California in June. Looks like I'll be signing up for the June 21/22 2 day camp dates. :smile2:

Reactions: s_focker

·
Registered
226 Posts
Salinas is another place you can stay if you're in a budget.

Laguna Seca is a very technical race track. I wish I had the chance to experience it myself. The corkscrew drop off is very unique and will earn your respect after a few laps.

I did a parade lap with one hand on the handle bar and one on my camera, but I could still see the craziness of the track; short, lots of elevations changes and a few blind turns.

How much is the class?

·
Premium Member
1,100 Posts
How much is the class?
2 day camp includes the use of a 2017 S1000RR, gear is provided, as is breakfast, lunch, snacks and liquids both days.

2 students per instructor.

Gotta remember it costs the school good money to rent the whole facility, and pay for emergency workers and corner workers, besides instructor salaries.

$2,600 at Laguna Seca for those 2 days.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I attended CSS at Laguna Seca for a two day school 2 nd week of Oct. Fantastic! Talk about drinking from the fire hose for a newb like me. So much to learn! But I loved it. Not only did it greatly improve my skills but it gave me a better insight into just how skilled the pros are. I will definitely enjoy watching races even more. Since I have been riding my goal is to take some type of advanced rider training every year.
Yay! So glad to hear :)

For those that haven't been to CSS...Dylan, Cobie, Jon G. and the entire team are a class act.
Woot!!!! YAY!!!:grin2:

·
Premium Member
1,100 Posts
The gf and I are planning a trip to California in June. Looks like I'll be signing up for the June 21/22 2 day camp dates. :smile2:
Deposit made. :smile2:

·
Premium Member
1,591 Posts
...Laguna Seca is a very technical race track. I wish I had the chance to experience it myself. The corkscrew drop off is very unique and will earn your respect after a few laps.

I did a parade lap with one hand on the handle bar and one on my camera, but I could still see the craziness of the track; short, lots of elevations changes and a few blind turns.

How much is the class?
Laguna, actually, is not that technical. Just lots of elevation changes.

Sonoma Raceway aka Sears Point, SpringMountain, ButtonWillow are more technical track.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I did CSS this past November in Vegas. Living in Hawaii I never get to see the track so going and trying it out was epic. It was a great experience. The coaches and instructors really want to see you succeed. I had so much fun that I signed up for the 2 day camp this Feb, in Vegas again. CSS was the best investment I have ever made.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Laguna, actually, is not that technical. Just lots of elevation changes.

Sonoma Raceway aka Sears Point, SpringMountain, ButtonWillow are more technical track.
Dunno, I've spectated there tons of times, and all the people I know or read about who races or even rode it call it very technical.

I used to go at least once, usually twice a year from '86 until '90 to see the 2-stroke MotoGP bikes and the AMA superbikes, and TOTALLY regret not doing the CSS that always ran on the Monday after. I had the money, but my friends never did, and they always talked me into going home instead with the promise that "next year we'll do it"....and they never kept their promise. I should have told them to go home without me and stayed myself and did it. One of my many regrets..... :(

·
Premium Member
1,591 Posts
Dunno, I've spectated there tons of times, and all the people I know or read about who races or even rode it call it very technical.... :(
That maybe so but strangely never had any issue riding 9/10 on a trackday at Laguna or Miller Motorsport Park.

I do how ever have issues riding Sears Point. :)

Here is another perspective list of the most technical tracks in the US. I've been on 6 of the noted tracks and somewhat agree to their list.

See if you agree.

Click Here If you dare. LOL >:)

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
That maybe so but strangely never had any issue riding 9/10 on a trackday at Laguna or Miller Motorsport Park.

I do how ever have issues riding Sears Point. :)

Here is another perspective list of the most technical tracks in the US. I've been on 6 of the noted tracks and somewhat agree to their list.

See if you agree.

Click Here If you dare. LOL >:)
Interesting list. Not sure I'd call Indy "technical"....unless you're at 230+mph like the Indy cars of Mario Andretti's era! :)

But, from what I've SEEN (sadly, not experienced) I'd say Laguna is definately up there. Glad to see the big track at Willow as well. Doesn't LOOK like a technical track, but turns 2-7 are, and 8-9 separates the men from the boys!

Reactions: Outta Control
1 - 20 of 35 Posts