BMW S1000RR Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
The Thailand event was great. It was a fun track to ride and the surface was excellent. It was an all BMW event. A lot of bling too.

·
Registered
150 Posts
The Thailand event was great. It was a fun track to ride and the surface was excellent. It was an all BMW event. A lot of bling too.

BMW had posted it as level 1 and you can only do one day so I didn’t bother. Plan was just to get the first 2 levels out of the way so I could do level 3-4 at Phillip Island sometime in the future.

Hope the guy in the video wasn’t your quickest instructor on track.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #27

BMW had posted it as level 1 and you can only do one day so I didn’t bother. Plan was just to get the first 2 levels out of the way so I could do level 3-4 at Phillip Island sometime in the future.

Hope the guy in the video wasn’t your quickest instructor on track.

Well you will like Phillip Island I’m sure.

Not sure who was riding for that video. Why do you mention it? Does he look slow compared to what you’re used to?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Well you will like Phillip Island I’m sure.

Not sure who was riding for that video. Why do you mention it? Does he look slow compared to what you’re used to?

Yeah, he’s a fair bit off the pace even for a completely stock bike. Typical trackday pace for the top Superstock riders is 1m40, then race weekend 37-38s. To move up from our novice class to the amateur level the laptime needs to be around 1m48 and the posted lap was in the 1m50s.

My PB on my 2012 S1000rr is 1m38, so would be difficult to get much from the ontrack part of the school if the instructor can’t even stay near u on track. I know you wouldn’t be riding at 100% but it’s difficult to ride in a normal way if you back off too much.

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
Yeah, he’s a fair bit off the pace even for a completely stock bike. Typical trackday pace for the top Superstock riders is 1m40, then race weekend 37-38s. To move up from our novice class to the amateur level the laptime needs to be around 1m48 and the posted lap was in the 1m50s.

My PB on my 2012 S1000rr is 1m38, so would be difficult to get much from the ontrack part of the school if the instructor can’t even stay near u on track. I know you wouldn’t be riding at 100% but it’s difficult to ride in a normal way if you back off too much.

Yeah seems like you wouldn't get much out of doing the school, especially if you're faster than all the instructors, which you may be.

Appears you got your riding well sorted out and are only 8 seconds off the MotoGP riders at your home track on an S1000RR. Good job. If you had a MotoGP bike what times do you reckon you could run at your home track? Your claimed personal best lap times are within 3-4 seconds of what the World Superbike riders are doing at Chang, and the same times as the World Supersport Racers.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Now.. seeing Newf on a Motogp would be something special!

Newf is easily the fastest S1000RR in Thailand :D Not by a little.. by a massive margin. He's the fastest private rider in Superstock on his Kawa now only being beaten by factory riders. 2017 WSBK S1000RR best last year was Jordie and he did a 1 min 34 - so newf is only 4 seconds behind him.

As for the video, it did look off pace at 1 min 50. There are 4 other BWMs (inc me) other than Newf that I've seen race the Chang International Circuit. Newf is sub 40s and PB 1 min 38s. Most race in the 1 min 50+ bracket and race ST3 or SB3. There's one rider, Khun Khemchart who joined the training with your guys in Feb. He has done 1 min 47s.

My normal pace is 1 min 47s on dead stock 2015 with DDS and personal best on a stock 2015 with DDS around that track was 1 min 46.6.

As for the Thailand instruction - those I spoke to from BMW said that everyone had a great time and felt it was a great experience. And anything that improves the riding in Thailand is a positive. We need more BMWs in the series to counter these Kawasaki boys! (yes Newf that's a dig at you haha)

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Chang is the 133rd track we have been to world wide. Very nice circuit.

As for the video, that was that person's 12th lap ever on the track, when they let the coaches go out for a few laps the day prior before doing the school, borrowed bike, unfamiliar tires. And you thought we cherry-picked the best possible lap...we were trying to show people the track itself. I was glad to see that someone got the footage, we were busy setting up.

But I don't have any problem with locals chiming in trying to boost their street credit.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Chang is the 133rd track we have been to world wide. Very nice circuit.

As for the video, that was that person's 12th lap ever on the track, when they let the coaches go out for a few laps the day prior before doing the school, borrowed bike, unfamiliar tires. And you thought we cherry-picked the best possible lap...we were trying to show people the track itself. I was glad to see that someone got the footage, we were busy setting up.

But I don't have any problem with locals chiming in trying to boost their street credit.

Chang Is a nice track but it’s very easy to learn and can get boring compared to some other tracks like Sepang. They also don’t have many open trackdays so even being a local rider we don’t get much track time other than race weekends.

Have always been interested in doing one of the CSS schools just never had the chance. There’s always something new to learn and I’m sure they could point out some things that I could try, maybe not making me faster but more comfortable on the bike.

Hopefully they come back to Chang again or maybe even a full track school at Sepang would be good.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Yeah seems like you wouldn't get much out of doing the school, especially if you're faster than all the instructors, which you may be.

Appears you got your riding well sorted out and are only 8 seconds off the MotoGP riders at your home track on an S1000RR. Good job. If you had a MotoGP bike what times do you reckon you could run at your home track? Your claimed personal best lap times are within 3-4 seconds of what the World Superbike riders are doing at Chang, and the same times as the World Supersport Racers.

2017 WSBK support race 2

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hopefully they come back to Chang again or maybe even a full track school at Sepang would be good.
Where do I sign up.

Chang Is a nice track but it’s very easy to learn and can get boring compared to some other tracks like Sepang. They also don’t have many open trackdays so even being a local rider we don’t get much track time other than race weekends.
100% agree - and even the track time pre race is now limited. What 4 x 15 minute sessions last race wasn't it? Just not enough time enough imo.

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Continuing with the overseas schedule, we just finished 2 days in the Philippines at Clark Raceway last weekend.

Next is
Dubai, March 23/23.
Turkey, April 5/6.
Italy (Adria) April 9/10.
Sydney, Australia April 16/17.
Bulgaria April 20-22.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts