BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Thinking of heading to CSS in Spring. Is there any preference between Las Vegas Motor Speedway, Willow Springs and Laguna Seca? I realize this is probably a secondary consideration, but I thought I'd ask. In reality, my schedule will probably dictate which of these I choose. Thx!

·
Registered
164 Posts
I was in your position more recently as well. I ended up going with Willows bring your own bike weekend in March - my deposit is in. I just can't justify the cost and or the time to do the Vegas or Leguna Seca locations. I can trailer my bike to the hotel in a days drive. If cost were no barrier, I'd be doing Leguna Seca hands down. If cost were less of a barrier I'd be doing Las Vegas. If it took more than a day to trailer there I might consider using their bike or even doing the full two day schools anyway.

My 0.02 cents. Actually give those cents back, that trip still isn't gonna be cheap. :grin2:

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
I did Las Vegas Motor speedway twice now. I love it because of the location.

The first time I was there I thoroughly enjoyed all the great high end food you can get there.

The second time around, I mostly went to small cheap but fantastic food places. I also rented an XR and rode to the Death Valley, Zion national park and 2-3 other national parks.

I know these have nothing to do with the track itself but I found it relevant when I was choosing where to go.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I've been to COTA (new CSS track), and done all 4 levels on Willow, and Laguna, never been to Vegas but agree it's a great location. Unless you're 20 years old though, don't expect to have energy left to gamble/party after the class.

COTA is my favorite, you get to ride on the newest motogp track and recognize all the turns from TV, plus the facilities and garages are so immaculate you can eat off the floors--which I have done (5 second rule). But COTA is twice the cost and summers are brutally hot here. Laguna is my 2nd favorite, it's an iconic track and there's nothing like the corkscrew, doing a wheelie up the hill followed by a 60' drop that will turn your stomach is one of the most amazing riding moments in my life (see pics). Plus there's always a threat of the track being shutdown, so go while it's open and they still allow earth destroying fossil fuel engines--bring DB killer, they check.

Willow is a great little track too, no complaints, it's just hard to get to. My avatar pic is from Turn 14.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,100 Posts
I'm in the same boat. Trying to decide where to do my first 2 day camp.
I think I'm leaning towards Laguna Seca myself.

Me and the girl would fly in, rent a car and make a week out of it. She can shop the 2 days I'll be in school.

Reactions: eagle734

·
Premium Member
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thx for all the good replies! I think you've basically confirmed what I suspect--I'll have fun and learn no matter which track I schedule at. In all likelihood, I'll take the one that best matches with my schedule. I have international trips for work in Jan and March so I have to work around those.

I'd love to go to COTA, especially since it is 200 miles away from me. But I am concerned the heat may make this less attractive so I will likely head West sometime in Feb - April. Apart from the TX heat in August, I also hope to avoid rain out west in the Spring. I don't ride now in the rain and I sure hope it doesn't happen while I am on the track. Nothing I can do about that one though.

Oh, nice pics Eagle! I have to ensure some BADASS pics like yours! Those taken by the CSS track photographer or by other means?

Thx again!

·
Registered
831 Posts
Oh, nice pics Eagle! I have to ensure some BADASS pics like yours! Those taken by the CSS track photographer or by other means?

Thx again!
Yep, they always have a photographer there, buy your entire CD for the days you're there, worth every penny.

btw, just realized you're in TX! I just got an email Ridesmart is doing a COTA track day in March 11/12. Time your CSS class before that if you can then put your new skills to the test at COTA. There is also MSR Cresson near you and they have frequent track days starting this spring.

You may also want to consider YAmaha Champion School, they travel all over to the best tracks too. I haven't been yet but planning on it next year once they release schedule. Ienatsch takes a different approach than Keith Code, based on the curriculum I saw, but can't go wrong with either one. You're getting 1:1 coaching for an entire day from some of the best teachers in the world.

Kudos for seeking out training and getting better. Best investment you can make for your S1000RR..

·
Registered
601 Posts
Hello,

Thinking of heading to CSS in Spring. Is there any preference between Las Vegas Motor Speedway, Willow Springs and Laguna Seca? I realize this is probably a secondary consideration, but I thought I'd ask. In reality, my schedule will probably dictate which of these I choose. Thx!
As you said, either track you go to you will have fun and thoroughly enjoy yourself! A little more specifics on the track may help you decide. Vegas is fun because of the location and it's a visually challenging track. It doesn't have any elevation changes. Streets is a tight and technical track with the most corners. It's a great coaching track because it is smaller with a lot of cut outs so we can sneak around the track easily :grin2: Location isn't that great for a girlfriend to head out shopping anywhere though, she would much prefer Vegas or Laguna for that. Laguna is one of those tracks you have to ride once because it's Laguna Seca! Super elevation changes, great wide track and fun location as well. Lovely restaurants in the area. Weather can be finicky there. Hope that helps!!! Maybe see you at one of schools days!!! Let me know if you have any more questions about the school. :grin2::grin2:

·
Premium Member
1,100 Posts
I went ahead and put my deposit down for a 2 day camp on June 21/22 @ Laguna Seca.
:wink2:

Reactions: eagle734

·
Registered
145 Posts
Laguna is a bucket track for me.

I'm in LV for a conference just before the CSS event. So I seriously concerned that track. But it's not a track on my bucket and the CSS instructors don't have it high on their Top 5. I signed up for VIR. So 2 days of L4 at VIR for me.

Next year, maybe COTA or Barber.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I went ahead and put my deposit down for a 2 day camp on June 21/22 @ Laguna Seca.
:wink2:
YAY!!! so cool!! Tick that one off the list come june! :grin2::grin2:

Laguna is a bucket track for me.

I'm in LV for a conference just before the CSS event. So I seriously concerned that track. But it's not a track on my bucket and the CSS instructors don't have it high on their Top 5. I signed up for VIR. So 2 days of L4 at VIR for me.

Sweet!!! VIR is great, Barber is amazing.....Haven't done COTA yet. Maybe see you at one of the schools!! :grin2::nerd:

·
4,663 Posts

Do you mind sharing CSS staff top 5 tracks?

When are you going to VIR? May?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Do you mind sharing CSS staff top 5 tracks?

When are you going to VIR? May?
Different staff have different favorites...so this it's scientific...But the general consensus was...

1. VIR (probably overall favorite)
2. Barber (very close 2nd plus you have the museum)
3. Miller / UMC
4. Laguna (because it's Laguna)
5. Sonoma
Also I heard a few staff like the Washington track...The Ridge?

Yes, I'm doing May @ VIR.

·
4,663 Posts
VIR 1st, wow. It's the track I go to the most. Getting sick of it lol

If I don't do Laguna in March, I'll either do VIR or Barber. Hopefully I'll get to see you there.

·
Premium Member
1,100 Posts
I'll probably do my 3/4 classes @ Barber in 2018. :smile2:

·
Registered
601 Posts
Different staff have different favorites...so this it's scientific...But the general consensus was...

1. VIR (probably overall favorite)
2. Barber (very close 2nd plus you have the museum)
3. Miller / UMC
4. Laguna (because it's Laguna)
5. Sonoma
Also I heard a few staff like the Washington track...The Ridge?

Certainly each staff member has their own favourite. I'd mostly agree with this list above but I'd put the Ridge higher and Laguna lower. Mid Ohio was actually my fav track layout followed by Barber but we don't go there anymore (sniff). Cota may be on some of the gang's list (I haven't ridden there yet) and Sonoma is pretty high for lots of guys too.

Hope that helps!:grin2:

·
Registered
601 Posts
VIR 1st, wow. It's the track I go to the most. Getting sick of it lol

If I don't do Laguna in March, I'll either do VIR or Barber. Hopefully I'll get to see you there.
Once I know my confirmed dates I'll let you know. There is a chance I will do Barber, love that place!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts