BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
4,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I should have listened to my intuition and replaced the front tire (DOT cup evo), had 3 track days on it, wear bar showed it has enough meat in it, but edges were done. I tucked the front while passing with minimal damage to myself or bike. My Alpin* air vest went off and it felt weird. I picked up the bike, corner worker said bike and I look like nothing happened. He did not even call it in, I continued to ride at a lower pace. Then changed the front tire. The next day I had some of my best laptimes.
@speedfinn will still say my lines are shitty :grin2:

Camera on my bike

Camera from friend's bike, I'm in black/red/yellow with 73Z on back

·
Registered
27 Posts
Cool videos,, glad your ok... thanks for sharing....

Reactions: z00

·
4,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I see nothing.
The forum software changed how to load youtube tags. Maybe you can ask the admin?

But to fix it in Chrome, click on upper right shield, then load unsafe scripts. See attached:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Glad you're ok and the bike has minimal damage!

·
4,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
isn't this a repost from last year??:grin2::wink2: glad you are alright and didn't get run over:surprise:
lol I get 1-2 Z crashes a year.

My passing speed was over 20MPH in that turn, I had plenty of time to get out of his way :grin2:

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
lol I get 1-2 Z crashes a year.

My passing speed was over 20MPH in that turn, I had plenty of time to get out of his way :grin2:
it doesn't look like 20mph, did you know you were carrying that speed difference as you approached them? what was your reasoning to decide to pass in the corner with such a big speed difference? i can't think of a good reason. would it have been possible for you to change your line to pass on the exit?

it looks like you crash for the same reason over and over, underloaded front

·
4,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do you have any full session videos?
Large HD videos, I can do part of a session. Do you prefer video from my bike's camera or from friend's behind me? I would be in full view, a bit far at certain areas.

it doesn't look like 20mph, did you know you were carrying that speed difference as you approached them? what was your reasoning to decide to pass in the corner with such a big speed difference? i can't think of a good reason. would it have been possible for you to change your line to pass on the exit?

it looks like you crash for the same reason over and over, underloaded front
I always like to pass with a decent speed difference. Call it passing with authority :D

I pass in that corner all the time. Yes, I always crash due to tucking the front. How to fix it?

I think my rate for releasing the brakes was not fast enough relative to leaning the bike. But I'll take this type of crash over highsiding any day of the year 0:) Total cost $153 to peg/frame slider, engine cover. Not a scratch on bike. I was amazed when I looked at it.

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
I always like to pass with a decent speed difference.

I pass in that corner all the time.

Yes, I always crash due to tucking the front. How to fix it?
passing with large speed difference at apex has more risk than passing with large speed difference at exit, especially in high speed corners

finish the turn before you let off the brakes

you passed on the inside and then missed the apex by 10 feet

someone mentioned 'bone-headed inside pass' in another thread, but i think it's valid here too

·
Registered
831 Posts
Large HD videos, I can do part of a session. Do you prefer video from my bike's camera or from friend's behind me? I would be in full view, a bit far at certain areas.

I always like to pass with a decent speed difference. Call it passing with authority :D
Glad you're ok and the suit worked, I have the same one but haven't tested the airbag yet. Have you noticed in your suit the magnetic clasp that activates the vest can come apart easily? The velcro that holds it together is no longer working as well. Curious if it's just me or if others are having that issue.

·
4,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Have you noticed in your suit the magnetic clasp that activates the vest can come apart easily? The velcro that holds it together is no longer working as well. Curious if it's just me or if others are having that issue.
Thanks! Nope, mine works fine. Velcro is till strong.

Wonder what happened to yours. You can contact whom you bought it from and Alpe* can examine it. You have to ship it back.

Reactions: eagle734

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
Large HD videos
And the problem with that is? Does YouTube suddenly have a limit? It will just take longer to upload. Go bang your favorite girl with your preferred lambskin condoms while this transpires. Bang her thrice if that's what it takes. We don't care. :wink2: No highlight reels allowed. :laugh:

·
4,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
passing with large speed difference at apex has more risk than passing with large speed difference at exit, especially in high speed corners

you passed on the inside and then missed the apex by 10 feet
This was not a high speed corner, but agreed.

Finishing the turn before releasing the brakes will make it worse. I trail brake, brake release is inversely proportional to lean angle. As I lean more I need to release the brake at the same leaning rate. If I had released the brake a bit faster I would have been fine I think, but with worn out edges the front tire could not handle the load. It's also a late apex corner, I crashed on entry.

·
Premium Member
4,072 Posts
Finishing the turn before releasing the brakes will make it worse. I trail brake, brake release is inversely proportional to lean angle. As I lean more I need to release the brake at the same leaning rate.
Yes, but brake release also unloads the front tire, decreasing front end grip. That is, the 100% friction available for the friction circle for each tire is not static.

As an entirely independent observation, all of the riders I see in the video need to slow down and relearn the basics of line, corner entry, corner exist, etc. It's like watching a disturbed hive of bees.

·
Registered
831 Posts

Can you elaborate on this point? I usually am off the brakes entirely when I hit the apex and start to roll on gas, but I'm technically still turning, specially if it's a double or triple apex. Or did you mean finish the turn-in?

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
Can you elaborate on this point? I usually am off the brakes entirely when I hit the apex and start to roll on gas, but I'm technically still turning, specially if it's a double or triple apex. Or did you mean finish the turn-in?
finish your turn = set your lean angle

he let off the brakes at the same time he increased his lean angle, no bueno

1 - 20 of 70 Posts