BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last weekend I went out for a ride and immediately noticed two small cracks on the glass of my dashboard (see pictures). The weird thing is that they seem to be INSIDE the panel, as I cannot feel the cracks by touching them or even sliding a fingernail across them on the outside. So I have ordered BMW part 62118551434, which is a $224 "repair kit" for the instrument cluster cover, and I have to see if I want to install this myself (should be easy) or take it to the dealership.

Funny (not haha funny...) to see that once my warranty expired for my 2015 bike in March, I have had cam chain failure (which I was able to lobby BMW to cover, as it happened weeks after the warranty expired - phew!), this cracked dashboard, and I also noticed this weekend that my steering damper has stopped damping. I wonder what else is going to break...

Sad thing about modern vehicles, no just beemers, is that they all seem to be designed to spontaneously combust after 3-4 years, right after the factory warranty runs out.

Bummer. Forum members - has anyone else had their dashboard crack from the inside? Any idea on the causes? My bike is in Puerto Rico, so we can rule out sudden changes in ambient temperature. No falls or drops. Scratching my head. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Very odd for sure. It likely was an external hit that flexed the glass and fractured from the back. It is an quick and easy fix. Motomillion sells a screen protector kit that is real nice and I put one on mine. I opened mine to put a piece of tape over the photocell to keep my backlight on. You only need to pull off the one clip holding it to the mount and it comes right off.

Bummer on BMWs price for a piece of glass!!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very odd for sure. It likely was an external hit that flexed the glass and fractured from the back. It is an quick and easy fix. Motomillion sells a screen protector kit that is real nice and I put one on mine. I opened mine to put a piece of tape over the photocell to keep my backlight on. You only need to pull off the one clip holding it to the mount and it comes right off.

Bummer on BMWs price for a piece of glass!!
Thanks for the tip. The piece of glass actually comes with the whole top plastic enclosure, but still $200++ for it is expensive. Although it feels cheap compared to the fact that a whole instrument cluster sells for $1400...!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Last weekend I went out for a ride and immediately noticed two small cracks on the glass of my dashboard (see pictures). The weird thing is that they seem to be INSIDE the panel, as I cannot feel the cracks by touching them or even sliding a fingernail across them on the outside. So I have ordered BMW part 62118551434, which is a $224 "repair kit" for the instrument cluster cover, and I have to see if I want to install this myself (should be easy) or take it to the dealership.

Funny (not haha funny...) to see that once my warranty expired for my 2015 bike in March, I have had cam chain failure (which I was able to lobby BMW to cover, as it happened weeks after the warranty expired - phew!), this cracked dashboard, and I also noticed this weekend that my steering damper has stopped damping. I wonder what else is going to break...

Sad thing about modern vehicles, no just beemers, is that they all seem to be designed to spontaneously combust after 3-4 years, right after the factory warranty runs out.

Bummer. Forum members - has anyone else had their dashboard crack from the inside? Any idea on the causes? My bike is in Puerto Rico, so we can rule out sudden changes in ambient temperature. No falls or drops. Scratching my head. Thanks.

Wow. I don’t even know what to say about that. All I can think is maybe by some helluva chance, a wheelie caused the cracks? Whatever caused it seems more like a stress issue vs impact. I don’t see how any screen protector could prevent stress cracks; but I’m not well versed in that aspect.

Funny you mentioned your steering damper stopped working though! I ended up sliding my bike down the road because of it with 43k mi on the clock. Bike lives on though. Looks like it never happened. Upgraded to Öhlins and I’ll be sure to send it in periodically for maintenance.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update to cracked cluster ”glass” cover.

Upon further inspection and comparing the bike to new ones on the dealer showroom floor, my cluster was a lot looser on the right. So we also changed the rubber bushing and now it fights more tightly. The theory is that it was rocking too much and maybe that caused the cover to stress too much and crack... anyway, we shall see.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same problem on my 2016 plate, put it in the garage, covered as usual, uncovered it 3 days later and a 2 inch crack in the glass!!! Seems some sort of manufacture defect to me, doubt if BMW will be interested though. I'm gonna try and make one out of perspex rather that pay £165 for a new cover. Ridiculous!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts