BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I've had my 2018 s1000rr for a little over 6 months and today I hit some oil on the rear tyre whilst travelling <15klm

The rear spun out and I was left with damage to the Alternator cover as seen in the picture.

I am technically ok with bikes and worked on much of my old GSXR however read some mishaps about replacing this.... my questions are:

1) Is the cover sealed with a gasket or sealant ? if so can you recommend which sealant to use?
2) Can I re use all of the bolts? I hear some are one time use and also read somewhere about a plastic screw... but not sure about that last bit.
3) anything else I should factor in before replacing?

Any help would be highly appreciated?

Thanks
Luke

·
Registered
37 Posts
No gasket. BMW calls for semi hardening gasket maker. I use Yamabond 3. Replace the bolts with OEM. Torque to 3NM then 90 degrees(1/4 turn). You can find that piece on Ebay. It's not worth risking snapping a bolt to save $40. Just my .02.

·
Registered
211 Posts

·
Vendor
2,321 Posts
Hi All,

I've had my 2018 s1000rr for a little over 6 months and today I hit some oil on the rear tyre whilst travelling <15klm

The rear spun out and I was left with damage to the Alternator cover as seen in the picture.

I am technically ok with bikes and worked on much of my old GSXR however read some mishaps about replacing this.... my questions are:

1) Is the cover sealed with a gasket or sealant ? if so can you recommend which sealant to use?
2) Can I re use all of the bolts? I hear some are one time use and also read somewhere about a plastic screw... but not sure about that last bit.
3) anything else I should factor in before replacing?

Any help would be highly appreciated?

Thanks
Luke
You can get a chinese clone off ebay. I have not used one yet, but, I have used them for the GSXR with excellent sealing and function.

OEM are usually about $350 used. I have one no scratches no damage if you are interested. I see you are in Europe, so shipping is not going to be cheap nor fast if EMS is used.

I use Yamabond also on the stator cover.

There is no plastic screw involved with the removal of the stator inside the cover. They are all steel screws inside holding the stator to the cover.

Pull really hard. The magnet is super strong and you will think there is something else holding it when you remove all the bolts. Pull on 2 - 3 sides all at once if you can. There is a dowel pin involved in the case to the cover.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Couple of things...

1)I found a replacement part on ebay... im not sure why I need to order the bolts again? can I reuse the old or are they delicate or something? just so I understand.
2) Can anyone recommend a good seal to use in EU/UK? looked for the Yamabond 3 but no luck online even... lots of Yamabond 4 though.....

Thanks.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Any gasket sealer is good, I used black I used grey and both are fine.

Bolts are not reusable per BMW but I had no issues reusing and tracking the bike after.

eBay is the best

·
Registered
585 Posts
Couple of things...

1)I found a replacement part on ebay... im not sure why I need to order the bolts again? can I reuse the old or are they delicate or something? just so I understand.
2) Can anyone recommend a good seal to use in EU/UK? looked for the Yamabond 3 but no luck online even... lots of Yamabond 4 though.....

Thanks.
They are aluminum and as per manual not reusable.
I did reuse them tho.

This gasket sealer worked fine for me

Make sure you put a handful of it and also make sure you clean the surface and remove any residual and wipe it with a break cleaner before applying the new one.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My bad. Yamabond 4 is correct. Amazon has it. The bolts are aluminum. When you install new bolts to 3nm then 90 degrees. You can feel them pulling. The old ones will work. They might break off though. Not worth $40. You need 3 of #3 and 8 of #2. The Chinese knock off might work. You wont know until you try it. But BMW tolerances are perfect. Just get it off Ebay. Bennymx is a ledgend here. Maybe he will chime in.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I know the questions been asked a million times, and may cause debate... im
Going to go for Motul oil as I had this in my GSXR and was great. 5w40 or 10w40?

i appreciate the first number is more related to winter but curious what the run.

25,000klm
2018 s1000rr
Coldest weather here now and until next change will be about 18 degrees Celsius
Hottest will be about 38 degrees Celsius

·
Vendor
2,321 Posts
While I am in Texas and I dont ride in less than 70 degree days, I do start my bike during the winter many times a week. 18c is nothing for the oil on startup. So If it was me, and it is my preference, I use 10w40 ...

Here is the operating temps for various oil weights

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
For those that have removed the cover before.

with some gentle pulling I managed to get the cover off and felt the magnet pull. After some time I managed to get the cover off, but the gears inside fell lose inside. Before trying to restructure I took photos of them loose and a few during the process. I took lots of photos during the process and managed to get everything back so that nothing moves (atleast by my hand i Could not move anything)

Here it is loose straight after removing the cover; mainly the top bar moved;

Here it is back together now;

mostly looks the same just all pushed back and tight/ no movement.

any comments please before I proceed with the new part next week? Should it all feel tight in place right?

cheers

·
Vendor
2,321 Posts
very tight. The bottom gear looks correct, and the spacer is in the shaft correctly. the cover should fit and snap right on with nearly no clearance on the cover to the case. The dowel pins are about the only thing that keeps the cover from going all the way to case sometimes. clean clean clean the surfaces and use just a very light sealant amount. Be sure to put more however around the rubber pass thru for the stator wires as that will leak if you dont put enough sealant.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts