BMW S1000RR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased the bike from a dealer last weekend about 120 miles away. All highway, rode it all the way home, clear roads, plenty of wind hitting the radiator.

Flash Forward to today...

Took my bike out to try and put away another 100 miles so the rev limiter could get removed. While wading my way through stop n go traffic en route to my open riding terrain, I'm at a light and hear this loud ***POWWWWwwwww***!!! Instantly, there's smoke, nasty smelling steam (which ended up giving me a horrrrible headache) and blue smurf looking fluid is splashing all over the front inside of the fairings, even up onto me. If I hadn't had been wearing leathers...

Anyhow, immediately jumped off, shut her down and pushed the bike to a nearby commercial building a block away where I know there's a hose, hosed her down (and me), checked the fluid level, looked at the radiator for leaks, removed the right fairing, lo and behold..the reservoir had blown open and a quick diagnostic of the instruments...warning light - temp was well above 250.

Let her cool down, filled the radiator with water. Cranked her back on and waited....NO COOLING FAN turned on. F this P.O.S. I can't imagine a more harmful thing happening to the motor OR a rider while on a bike. I'm screaming LEMON.

...Less than 160 miles on the bike. I am NOT happy. BMW America, welcome to the suck.

1st poster here, anyone else have issues like these?

·
R.I.P., you will be missed but never forgotten...
2,016 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
I just purchased the bike from a dealer last weekend about 120 miles away. All highway, rode it all the way home, clear roads, plenty of wind hitting the radiator.

Took my bike out to try and put away another 100 miles so the rev limiter could get removed. While wading my way through stop n go traffic en route to my open riding terrain, I'm at a light and hear this loud ***POWWWWwwwww***!!! Instantly, there's smoke, nasty smelling steam (which ended up giving me a horrrrible headache) and blue smurf looking fluid is splashing all over the front inside of the fairings, even up onto me. If I hadn't had been wearing leathers...

Anyhow, immediately jumped off, shut her down and pushed the bike to a nearby commercial building a block away where I know there's a hose, hosed her down (and me), checked the fluid level, looked at the radiator for leaks, removed the right fairing, lo and behold..the reservoir had blown open and a quick diagnostic of the instruments...warning light - temp was well above 250.

Let her cool down, filled the radiator with water. Cranked her back on and waited....NO COOLING FAN turned on. F this P.O.S. I can't imagine a more harmful thing happening to the motor OR a rider while on a bike. I'm screaming LEMON.

...Less than 160 miles on the bike. I am NOT happy. BMW America, welcome to the suck.

umm its called a temp gauge, you might want to check from time to time. Its people like you that force manufactures to have to put warning labels on the top of ladders and on hot coffee raising the the prices for the rest of us.

·
Registered
176 Posts
umm its called a temp gauge, you might want to check from time to time. Its people like you that force manufactures to have to put warning labels on the top of ladders and on hot coffee raising the the prices for the rest of us.
I think you are being a little unfair here. If the fan fails in hot weather the water temperature can rise very rapidly. It would be an unusually vigilant rider who notices the temperature gauge going up and even a warning light is easy to miss if you are focusing on the ride. Between the fan failing and the system going 'pop' could only be a matter of minutes......

·
Banned
470 Posts

you gotta be careful around here. If you try and voice any negative opinion about this bike, or concern, or say bmw without a smile on your face certain individuals (cough cough....dave t...) will start crying.

Come on guys....who wouldn't be totally pissed if this happened to your bike? Especially when he JUST bought the damn thing.

I still think this bike needs a little more QC, flame away.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Fan Issue

Yeah , I want to know if the fan fuse blew. This is an extreme overheat , I have never heard of this before and I have been a service manager at a large dealership and came across a lot of things but not this.I wonder if the fan was working before and maybe the owner or delaership technician was adding an electrical accessory and accidentally shorted something? This commonly happens and would logically explain this poblem.I thought that one of the points to inspect on the PDI sheet was to verify that the cooling fan comes on at a certain temp.?

·
Registered
301 Posts
I'm always checking my bike temps regularly especially when driving in slow moving traffic, city streets, or juyst slow in general.
If the temp reaches over 100, I'm expecting the fan to engange, and I can usually hear and feel it start as well(at least on my last bikes I had).
If the temp had increased above the "normal" level, I would had def. stopped and let the bike cool down if possible.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Nothing wrong and then a loud POWWW and coolant exploding everywhere... this doesn't sound like a slowly developing overheat condition, it sounds like a catastrophic failure. As such, its possible that the bike was fine with good temps until the failure and the coolant temp simply ran away after the system de-pressurized. Thus no warning until the failure.

And the failure might have shorted the cooling fan motor or otherwise caused it to fail. Thus, the cooling fan problem may have nothing to do with the original failure. If the original problem was a failed cooling fan, the bike would have shown a lot of warning with high temps and warning lights anytime it was used at slow speeds and/or traffic.

This might be something as simple as a failed radiator cap and maybe a fuse. If the bike didn't overheat prior to the failure, it is likely something simple and after the dealer fixes it, should be fine.

Still sucks on a new bike, of course.

- Mark

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
when a person pays this amount of money for a bike and it lets go like that with out warning i'd be pissed off aswell,but as things like this never seem to a uk bike im typing this very smugly....bad luck dude let bmw sort it and get a loan bike out of them....

·
Registered
190 Posts
I had something similar happen to me about 5 years back I had a
Triumph T-955 was on the highway and then I hit traffic on a hot day. I was watching the temp guage high but holding aroud 220 next thing I know guage is racing upward and a minivan mom says "I think something is comming out of your bike" :eek: Luckly just a over heat and comming out the over flow.. long story short blown fuse.... Hard to be cool when someone's mom is mocking you :p:D

that 3 cyl. always did run warm!! but it was nice in early spring and late fall (built in heater) LOL.....

·
Registered
285 Posts
OP: just curious, what was the temp gauge reading just before you heard the POW? was it above 220? My fan comes on around 215, which I only see if I am stopped.

FWIW, I raced cars for a long time with engines that cost more to rebuild than than the cost of a new RR - I watched my temp and pressure gauges religiously. I bet I can't go 10 seconds without glancing at the temp gauge on the RR - old habits die hard.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Auto overtemp kill

I am thinking there must have been some contributing issue that caused this all to happen quickly before the ECU could catch it, here's why.

I had a modified 1987 Corvette many years ago. While on a speed run at 174 mph the engine just shut off. I checked the admittedly very crappy gauges on that car and it was at 280 degrees. I pulled over let it cool and did short hops to get home. The ECU had built in safety parameters.

Bottom line is a 23 year old car with a very primitive ECU still had an auto ignition kill built in to avoid catastrophic damage. Adding coolant or fixing a fan relay is MUCH cheaper than a new motor, so my guess is something else triggered this little mishap. I can't believe bikes are 20+ years behind cars in electronics sophistication, usually seems to be closer to about ten behind.

It's good you weren't hurt or scalded at all though. Best of luck getting it fixed and let us know what the final culprit is.

·
Registered
146 Posts
That definitely sucks, but it sounds like a lot had to fail for this to happen. How did the resevoir pop and what exactly popped? The resevoir has an open vent hose, so prior to it building enough pressure to pop, there would have been coolant and/or steam spewing from the hose below the bike. You did not mention what you had to replace to get the system to then hold water.

I believe the radiator cap also functions as a pressure relief valve, or there should be one somwhere else in the cooling system, to avoid this sort of thing. At least that is the way my 14 year old bimmer (car)works. And contrary to to other posts, the ecu on my car does not shut the engine down when it overheats, just a pretty yellow check engine light. I know because it overheated in November due to a cracked heater core hose.:mad:

·
Registered
7 Posts
What are you guys finding is 'normal running temp'? When I'm cruising in 4th at about 95mph I'm at about 167 F. When I'm in stop and go it quickly goes to about 212F. The highest I've seen it is 223F and that's in stop and go on a hot day.
The only issue i've been having recently is squeaky brakes. Anyone else suffering from that? I've got about 1000 miles on my beast so far. Lovin' it.

·
Registered
146 Posts
What are you guys finding is 'normal running temp'? When I'm cruising in 4th at about 95mph I'm at about 167 F. When I'm in stop and go it quickly goes to about 212F. The highest I've seen it is 223F and that's in stop and go on a hot day.
The only issue i've been having recently is squeaky brakes. Anyone else suffering from that? I've got about 1000 miles on my beast so far. Lovin' it.
There are a couple other threads about temps:

http://www.s1000rrforum.com/forum/s1000rr-tech-performance-chat/1962-operating-temp.html

http://www.s1000rrforum.com/forum/s...tires-wheels/2408-mmm-mmm-mmm-mmm-toasty.html

...but I've seen anywhere from about 155 to 205 when moving depending on ambient temps. Stop and go traffic I have seen 231. As far as squeaky brakes yeah I have 'em but it doesn't bother me 'cause as far as I'm concerned it's normal.

·
Registered
596 Posts
There are a couple other threads about temps:

http://www.s1000rrforum.com/forum/s1000rr-tech-performance-chat/1962-operating-temp.html

http://www.s1000rrforum.com/forum/s...tires-wheels/2408-mmm-mmm-mmm-mmm-toasty.html

...but I've seen anywhere from about 155 to 205 when moving depending on ambient temps. Stop and go traffic I have seen 231. As far as squeaky brakes yeah I have 'em but it doesn't bother me 'cause as far as I'm concerned it's normal.
yeah 250 could happen pretty quick, thats not much of a jump sitting at a light even on a 15degC day so its understandable, OP. if they squeek, that means theyre working! lol

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
About what I'm seeing. Not that I've done very much 95 mph cruising. And I wouldn't be in fourth if I did.

- Mark

1 - 20 of 84 Posts