BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There doesn't appear to be anything in the service interval checklist regarding changing coolant out. Says "check level", but that's about it.

For a bike dedicated to canyon riding, no track, no "wild-ass" extremes, what's the thinking on coolant life?

·
Registered
893 Posts
Should be done when the valve clearances are done, as the mechs will need to detach/lower the radiator to do so, and WILL lose some fluid.

When I had the local dealer do the valve clearances on my '16 at 30k km, they ticked the "check level" of the coolant, but being pedantic I checked everything again when I got the bike home - the overflow bottle was empty, so I ended up draining and refilling the system myself.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Incorrect. Coolant is lifetime according to BMW.
Interesting, I could have sworn mine was done by the dealer at my 18,000mi service. I'll have to look at my receipt.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
then its a mystery why the overflow was ok before the service and empty after the service.
Maybe they needed the fluid out of your bike to top up someone else's bike :grin2:

·
Registered
257 Posts
Just had the annual service on my 2015 at 9,000 miles. I asked whether I was due for a coolant change and was told it gets done with the valve adjustment and I guess that's at 18k? At this rate my bike will be 10 years old by then.

I'm used to doing it every 2 years so I'll probably do it myself next summer.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Just had the annual service on my 2015 at 9,000 miles. I asked whether I was due for a coolant change and was told it gets done with the valve adjustment and I guess that's at 18k? At this rate my bike will be 10 years old by then.

I'm used to doing it every 2 years so I'll probably do it myself next summer.
Yeah, without checking, I think they changed mine out at my 18,000 mile service as well. I wonder if they're just charging us for that???

·
4,587 Posts
Two dealerships told me every four years or 36k miles for coolant change.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts