BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've narrowed down my next bike purchase to either the BMW S1000R or Suzuki GSXS1000.

I've been set on the BMW since it was released but I'm starting to have some reservations.

I'm actually starting to think the GSXS1000 might be better than the S1000R. The differences are seemingly minor details at this point.

Sure, the S1000R is technically the better bike, but is it 46% better? The S1000R is 29% more expensive for the base model and 46% more expensive for the premium model. I've never actually seen a base at the dealer, so generally speaking, the BMW is nearly 50% more money than the Suzuki.

Is it 50% more bike, I'm starting to think not.

Now I know you all own BMWs, but the Suzuki most likely was not out when you all bought your BMWs.

If you could go back would you consider the Suzuki? If not, howcome?

·
4,587 Posts
I own a 2015 RR. I test rode s1000XR and s1000R.

For a street bike. I would get 2016 GSXS1000. Be sure to get the one with ABS. I did not test ride it, on paper it's the better value for sure. Be sure to test ride both before making a decision.

On a side not, test ride the s1000XR, it's a fun bike. I personally did not like s1000R that much.

·
Registered
6 Posts
for the money both bikes are great its just what kind of engineering do you prefer, what feel, what quality, what style, what sound. all personal preference

·
Registered
29 Posts
Not even in the same league.

S1000R is with Tuono 1100, 1290 SDR etc

GSX1000 is with the Z1000 etc. S1000R is an weapon of a bike when you want it to be and a ***** cat for the occasions you don't want balls out power. DDC, cruise control, heated grips round off the package nicely.

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not even in the same league.

S1000R is with Tuono 1100, 1290 SDR etc

GSX1000 is with the Z1000 etc. S1000R is an weapon of a bike when you want it to be and a ***** cat for the occasions you don't want balls out power. DDC, cruise control, heated grips round off the package nicely.
How are they not even in the same league? They make within five horsepower of each other, they're within five lbs of each other, they're both naked sport bikes, **** they even have similar styling cues.

The BMW definitely wins in the gadgets department, but are they worth nearly $5,000?

What specifically makes the BMW worth the $5,000 premium over the Suzuki? Just sitting on them at the dealers I'm hard pressed to tell the difference.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
?

Where did you get these numbers? Everything I have seen places the S1000R at ~150 HP RW, and the GSX-S at 145+ HP, with the two running roughly equal to ~10,000 RPM, where the BMW starts to generate a bit more.

·
Super Moderator
6,258 Posts
Yeah I read the Suzuki has 145 and the BMW has 160. But the difference between the technology and how the rider aid system integrates into the bike is something you cannot explain nor will you see it until you ride both in anger. Simply sitting on them will tell you nothing. To be frank, talking about them in the same sentence is just ignorant.

·
Registered
29 Posts
How are they not even in the same league? They make within five horsepower of each other, they're within five lbs of each other, they're both naked sport bikes, **** they even have similar styling cues.

The BMW definitely wins in the gadgets department, but are they worth nearly $5,000?

What specifically makes the BMW worth the $5,000 premium over the Suzuki? Just sitting on them at the dealers I'm hard pressed to tell the difference.
Because you should make your mind up by just sitting on it at the dealer....

Ride it and you will feel the difference. My girlfriends got an 07 CBR1000RR which would **** on a GSX1000 and my S1R belts her bike. Forget what the spec sheet says an ride it. Michael Neeves from MCN even said its not bad but not in the same league...

Don't short change yourself and try and convince yourself it's a better bike than the BMW cos it's not.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
Yeah I read . . . the BMW has 160.
Rear wheel? Where did you see this?

E.g., Cycle World dyno'd the S1000r at 150.9; Sport Rider, 150.8

This is plenty of power. And roughly the same as the GSX. :smile2:

Which one appeals is up to the individual rider. The broader powerband, and often more torque, is what makes these bikes fun on the street.

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Every dyno Ive seen has had the Suzuki at about 145 and the bmws at about 150 at the rear wheel. That's pretty damn close if you ask me. **** I bet you could get the Suzuki up to 150 wheel and still be well under the BMWs price tag.

So in a straight line they should be pretty damn close, I'm asking WHAT exactly makes the BMW better?

I'm not trying to say it's a better bike, but I'm not sure exactly what the BMW does better. Is it more reliable? Does it get better MPGs? So I'm simply asking a freakin' question to find out what exactly makes the BMW better and no one has explained that to me yet. You guys are completely skipping the bit where you say WHY the BMW is better, ya'll are just saying that it's better because it's a BMW.

Also comparing the S1000RR to the Japanese liter bikes is pointless. I don't care about the RR because I'm shopping the single R and it's got a completely different power curve and hp rating than the RR.

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm not trying to say it's a better bike, but I'm not sure exactly what the BMW does better.
Can't figure out how to edit my post. This should read "I'm not trying to say the BMW isn't the better bike, but I'm not exactly sure what the BMW does better".

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
So I'm simply asking a freakin' question to find out what exactly makes the BMW better and no one has explained that to me yet.
A completely valid question.

You guys are completely skipping the bit where you say WHY the BMW is better, ya'll are just saying that it's better because it's a BMW.
A typical problem on any enthusiast site. Many members drank the Kool-Aid and become blind to the virtues of any other brand, while denying any downside to their chosen marque.

I cannot help as I know little about the GSX-S. I looked into newer naked bikes at one time as I vaguely considered replacing my Streetfighter. But none I looked at/rode could compete, including the S1000R.

The bottom line however is that you really do need to try out the bikes, if you can. They all have a different feel. One will appeal to you over the other.

·
Registered
719 Posts
As other have said, you just need to ride both.
I was dead set on buying either an RSV4 or R1. Rode them both and then an S1000RR back to back.
Guess which one I bought? Didn't expect to like the bmw as much as I did.

You're gonna spend 95% of your time riding the thing, not sitting on it in a showroom. You'll probably end up liking one and loving the other.

·
Super Moderator
6,258 Posts
I haven't ridden the Suzuki. The BMW though, its the power delivery of the bike. So much torque and pull down low. The electronics package with heated grips, cruise control, quick shifter and riding modes are number 1 in my book. The genuine accessories available for BMW's are like no other brand. There is more to it than just the HP. Plenty of reviews around anyway where will you get a multitude of opinions. Ride both. Compare price and specs. Make decision. I aint going to argue with you about what bike is best for you. Just stating some facts and giving my opinion. I am a confessed BMW fanboy though.

·
Super Moderator
6,258 Posts
The 160HP I read was from BMW's website. Does not state wheel or crank. I worked for BMW for a while. Rode all of the current bikes daily. I haven't ridden any of its competitors. At the end of the day it comes down to personal preference. They are all just as good as each other or not far off. Not looking for an argument when majority of all this is personal preference.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts