BMW S1000RR Forum banner

Cold weather gear selected after some research, go-to gear, and hot gear as well

2K views 22 replies 7 participants last post by  verrucktaxe 
#1 ·
Hey all, this winter after freezing one night in the dainese perf'd suit, I started doing some research, testing, etc. to find some more appropriate cold weather gear. I stopped short of heated gear, but I go through my go-to gear, hot weather, and mostly about the cold weather options I found, how they worked at different temps, and what I settled on good for 30 deg F range.

#4 ·
absolutely! hard part about there is leaving loveland in moderately warm weather, then getting to the top of trail ridge and realizing it's freezing! big delta top to bottom.
Enjoy those heated grips on a 2010... thats nice ride advantage.
yeah they are! i kept forgetting i had them for a while, but they are nice!

#3 ·
Enjoy those heated grips on a 2010... thats nice ride advantage.

#5 ·
For me, I've got 3 distinct sets of street gear:
1. 2-pc a-stars race leathers (warm weather to cold weather). They're not perforated except in a couple areas, so, they work remarkable well in the cold, and even pretty well in the heat IF I can keep moving and get airflow. Stuck in summer heat in stop-n-go and you'll sweat your ballz off. Not fun.
2. 2-pc a-stars Valparaiso gear with removable thermal and rain liners (can use both at the same time, or either - great feature!). This works very well with both liners in for weather as cold as I'd ever want to ride in (40deg F, 30deg ONLY if I get caught in it). And if I wanted to I could always add my thin thermals for extra warmth. With both liners out, and all the vents open you can ride in all but the hottest weather as long as you keep moving, even in summer. The entire back panel folds down out of the way so the vents on front run the air totally past you and you actually get a lot of airflow at speed. If you're stopped, you'll sweat more than in full mesh gear, but a lot less than in leathers.
3. Mesh jacket and mesh pants. Not as much protection as either, but, the only thing you'll be comfortable in when it's REALLY hot.
4. For my (new to me) ADV riding, I picked up an a-stars Andes Pro Drystar jacket (nice because the rain layer is IN the outer shell and not a separate liner), and semi-matching (slight color mismatch - WTF a-stars?) Andes V3 Drystar pants (same outer shell material). These seem to be even warmer than the Valparaiso I have, thought I haven't tried them back-to-back. Which is good, because I'm more apt to ride the ADV bike when it's colder and nastier than the 'RR.
5. I bought some thin, aluminized glove liners for pretty cheap at REI, and they really seem to work, especially considering how thin they are. In cold weather, I put them in a jacket pocket if needed, even with the heated grips on both bikes.

Be safe!

#6 ·
sounds like a great variety of gear for various weather! my buddy did his first adv ride on fire trails up in WA/OR area and found every flaw with his gear in cold rain during that time! he did it a couple years and refined his collection to account for it. I remember him cussing as he'd bought what was advertised as a 'waterproof boot' and ended up with soaked cold feet the whole time. bad timing!!

Reactions: ZZZ
#11 ·
For the cold commutes down here, mid-winter sees sunny days but may start at below zero, and not get to 10deg celcius as a max.

I wear wool thermals under leather pants, and Alpinestars Andes V2 Drystar jacket. Gloves are Gerbing XR12 heated gloves, wired to battery but only plugged in when engine running.
Biits are my year round A* SMX plus, with wooly socks.

#12 · (Edited)
Interesting, that's a lot colder than I'd ever think it would get down undah. Even when I used to visit my friends up in Canada, at least once a month, I still couldn't relate to temp "C" vs temp "F". Zero C I can always remember (32deg F), but anything else is just a mystery to me. :)

#14 ·
yep, down here it gets cold, gets bloody hot, loads of bloody snakes and spiders, and roos all over the place. I've hit 3 in cars, never on a bike though.

so 0 celcius is 32F, I've commuted in -4 which is about 25F, and hot 44deg C which is 111F - its not pleasant.

#15 ·
sounds about like Texas. scrote soaking hot in summer, down under 30 deg in winter, scorpion in my kitchen, passed a couple hogs in town on the way to the gym this morning, killed 3 deer in last 2 years with cad, aprilia, and rental car while other car was in the shop from hitting a drive shaft laying in the road.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.