BMW S1000RR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, this winter after freezing one night in the dainese perf'd suit, I started doing some research, testing, etc. to find some more appropriate cold weather gear. I stopped short of heated gear, but I go through my go-to gear, hot weather, and mostly about the cold weather options I found, how they worked at different temps, and what I settled on good for 30 deg F range.

·
Registered
2004 BMW R1150R, 2017 BMW R1200GS, 2020 BMW S1000RR
379 Posts
Thank you for the information. Lots of good info. Living in CO, always looking for ways to stay warm while riding.

·
Vendor
3,760 Posts
Hey all, this winter after freezing one night in the dainese perf'd suit, I started doing some research, testing, etc. to find some more appropriate cold weather gear. I stopped short of heated gear, but I go through my go-to gear, hot weather, and mostly about the cold weather options I found, how they worked at different temps, and what I settled on good for 30 deg F range.

Enjoy those heated grips on a 2010... thats nice ride advantage.

·
Premium Member
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the information. Lots of good info. Living in CO, always looking for ways to stay warm while riding.
absolutely! hard part about there is leaving loveland in moderately warm weather, then getting to the top of trail ridge and realizing it's freezing! big delta top to bottom.
Enjoy those heated grips on a 2010... thats nice ride advantage.
yeah they are! i kept forgetting i had them for a while, but they are nice!

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
For me, I've got 3 distinct sets of street gear:
1. 2-pc a-stars race leathers (warm weather to cold weather). They're not perforated except in a couple areas, so, they work remarkable well in the cold, and even pretty well in the heat IF I can keep moving and get airflow. Stuck in summer heat in stop-n-go and you'll sweat your ballz off. Not fun.
2. 2-pc a-stars Valparaiso gear with removable thermal and rain liners (can use both at the same time, or either - great feature!). This works very well with both liners in for weather as cold as I'd ever want to ride in (40deg F, 30deg ONLY if I get caught in it). And if I wanted to I could always add my thin thermals for extra warmth. With both liners out, and all the vents open you can ride in all but the hottest weather as long as you keep moving, even in summer. The entire back panel folds down out of the way so the vents on front run the air totally past you and you actually get a lot of airflow at speed. If you're stopped, you'll sweat more than in full mesh gear, but a lot less than in leathers.
3. Mesh jacket and mesh pants. Not as much protection as either, but, the only thing you'll be comfortable in when it's REALLY hot.
4. For my (new to me) ADV riding, I picked up an a-stars Andes Pro Drystar jacket (nice because the rain layer is IN the outer shell and not a separate liner), and semi-matching (slight color mismatch - WTF a-stars?) Andes V3 Drystar pants (same outer shell material). These seem to be even warmer than the Valparaiso I have, thought I haven't tried them back-to-back. Which is good, because I'm more apt to ride the ADV bike when it's colder and nastier than the 'RR.
5. I bought some thin, aluminized glove liners for pretty cheap at REI, and they really seem to work, especially considering how thin they are. In cold weather, I put them in a jacket pocket if needed, even with the heated grips on both bikes.

Be safe!

·
Premium Member
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For me, I've got 3 distinct sets of street gear:
1. 2-pc a-stars race leathers (warm weather to cold weather). They're not perforated except in a couple areas, so, they work remarkable well in the cold, and even pretty well in the heat IF I can keep moving and get airflow. Stuck in summer heat in stop-n-go and you'll sweat your ballz off. Not fun.
2. 2-pc a-stars Valparaiso gear with removable thermal and rain liners (can use both at the same time, or either - great feature!). This works very well with both liners in for weather as cold as I'd ever want to ride in (40deg F, 30deg ONLY if I get caught in it). And if I wanted to I could always add my thin thermals for extra warmth. With both liners out, and all the vents open you can ride in all but the hottest weather as long as you keep moving, even in summer. The entire back panel folds down out of the way so the vents on front run the air totally past you and you actually get a lot of airflow at speed. If you're stopped, you'll sweat more than in full mesh gear, but a lot less than in leathers.
3. Mesh jacket and mesh pants. Not as much protection as either, but, the only thing you'll be comfortable in when it's REALLY hot.
4. For my (new to me) ADV riding, I picked up an a-stars Andes Pro Drystar jacket (nice because the rain layer is IN the outer shell and not a separate liner), and semi-matching (slight color mismatch - WTF a-stars?) Andes V3 Drystar pants (same outer shell material). These seem to be even warmer than the Valparaiso I have, thought I haven't tried them back-to-back. Which is good, because I'm more apt to ride the ADV bike when it's colder and nastier than the 'RR.
5. I bought some thin, aluminized glove liners for pretty cheap at REI, and they really seem to work, especially considering how thin they are. In cold weather, I put them in a jacket pocket if needed, even with the heated grips on both bikes.

Be safe!
sounds like a great variety of gear for various weather! my buddy did his first adv ride on fire trails up in WA/OR area and found every flaw with his gear in cold rain during that time! he did it a couple years and refined his collection to account for it. I remember him cussing as he'd bought what was advertised as a 'waterproof boot' and ended up with soaked cold feet the whole time. bad timing!!

Reactions: ZZZ

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
sounds like a great variety of gear for various weather! my buddy did his first adv ride on fire trails up in WA/OR area and found every flaw with his gear in cold rain during that time! he did it a couple years and refined his collection to account for it. I remember him cussing as he'd bought what was advertised as a 'waterproof boot' and ended up with soaked cold feet the whole time. bad timing!!
Well, as Bret Tkacs (ADV instructor) said, waterpoof boots just mean that when water finally runs INTO them from the top, it can't get out and your feet stay in puddles of cold water... :ROFLMAO:

Yeah, I believe in gear, and having the right gear if you can afford it. I've accumulated all mine over years, so it wasn't a huge initial outlay. If you could only afford one versatile set for all weather conditions, I'd say the Valparaiso or Andes gear could cover it all. Not as cool in the pure heat but easily able to keep you warm in cold conditions, but not as protective as full leathers. A great compromise if you had to make it.

I'm actually gonna pick up all new specific MX gear, for riding my KX and the KTM on really hot days, either local or on a long summer trip where if I'm staying for days somewhere (like Moab) where I'll bring it.

·
Premium Member
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, as Bret Tkacs (ADV instructor) said, waterpoof boots just mean that when water finally runs INTO them from the top, it can't get out and your feet stay in puddles of cold water... :ROFLMAO:

Yeah, I believe in gear, and having the right gear if you can afford it. I've accumulated all mine over years, so it wasn't a huge initial outlay. If you could only afford one versatile set for all weather conditions, I'd say the Valparaiso or Andes gear could cover it all. Not as cool in the pure heat but easily able to keep you warm in cold conditions, but not as protective as full leathers. A great compromise if you had to make it.
good point. if water can't get in, can't get out either haha.

living in TX, i've tried to buy cooler stuff that breathes well, especially after getting way to close to heat stroke on COTA in August once. just been doing more cold riding this winter and decided i should quit torturing myself.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
good point. if water can't get in, can't get out either haha.

living in TX, i've tried to buy cooler stuff that breathes well, especially after getting way to close to heat stroke on COTA in August once. just been doing more cold riding this winter and decided i should quit torturing myself.
I've had NON-waterpoof boots turn into buckets, literally pouring water out after I got home. Of course, that was usually with boots on over jeans or leathers, so the water just hit my shins and ran down into my boot, but also having the water run down my arms and filling up my gauntlets. Then there's the water running down the back of your helmet, the back of your jacket, and then the crack of your @$$ and meeting up with the water pouring down the back of the tank into your crotch to form a nice cold puddle to soak your ballz in for a while. Ah, the joys of motorcycling! :ROFLMAO:

Yeah, definitely have to pick gear based on the conditions you typically ride in, or WANT to ride in. If all you're going to do is ride in SoCal or AZ, then perf'd leathers and mesh gear is the way to go. Living in CO, I'd ride in everything from 100+ heat, to 40deg F (or 30 if I got caught in it), in anything from brilliant sunshine to pouring rain or snow, sometimes all in a single afternoon. For people up North (Eh?) they can probably skip the mesh gear and something like the a-stars suits above might be all they need, just using the liners to best effect.

·
Premium Member
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've had NON-waterpoof boots turn into buckets, literally pouring water out after I got home. Of course, that was usually with boots on over jeans or leathers, so the water just hit my shins and ran down into my boot, but also having the water run down my arms and filling up my gauntlets. Then there's the water running down the back of your helmet, the back of your jacket, and then the crack of your @$$ and meeting up with the water pouring down the back of the tank into your crotch to form a nice cold puddle to soak your ballz in for a while. Ah, the joys of motorcycling! :ROFLMAO:

Yeah, definitely have to pick gear based on the conditions you typically ride in, or WANT to ride in. If all you're going to do is ride in SoCal or AZ, then perf'd leathers and mesh gear is the way to go. Living in CO, I'd ride in everything from 100+ heat, to 40deg F (or 30 if I got caught in it), in anything from brilliant sunshine to pouring rain or snow, sometimes all in a single afternoon. For people up North (Eh?) they can probably skip the mesh gear and something like the a-stars suits above might be all they need, just using the liners to best effect.
so true. in college in IA, i'd ride the old HD back home in Nov, snow on the ground, no helmet, no windshield, miserable cold, but just what i did. actually got pulled over riding in just long sleeves one night in sleet. buddy from high school had became a cop, pulled me over, yelled "i told you not to drive that thing when you're fcked up!" i told him i was stone sober. he paused, then yelled at me "then you're just an idiot, now get your a$$ home!" hahahaha

in FL you had to just accept downpours, bad enough my phone would drown sometimes. got dang used to riding in rain!

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
For the cold commutes down here, mid-winter sees sunny days but may start at below zero, and not get to 10deg celcius as a max.

I wear wool thermals under leather pants, and Alpinestars Andes V2 Drystar jacket. Gloves are Gerbing XR12 heated gloves, wired to battery but only plugged in when engine running.
Biits are my year round A* SMX plus, with wooly socks.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
For the cold commutes down here, mid-winter sees sunny days but may start at below zero, and not get to 10deg celcius as a max.

I wear wool thermals under leather pants, and Alpinestars Andes V2 Drystar jacket. Gloves are Gerbing XR12 heated gloves, wired to battery but only plugged in when engine running.
Interesting, that's a lot colder than I'd ever think it would get down undah. Even when I used to visit my friends up in Canada, at least once a month, I still couldn't relate to temp "C" vs temp "F". Zero C I can always remember (32deg F), but anything else is just a mystery to me. :)

·
Premium Member
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Interesting, that's a lot colder than I'd ever think it would get down undah. Even when I used to visit y friends up in Canada, at least once a month, I still couldn't relate to temp "C" vs temp "F". Zero C I can always remember (32deg F), but anything else is just a mystery to me. :)
had no idea it got that cold there either i guess. i do the same thing, C=(F-32)*5/9 if i remember right, but i never just hear a temp and know what it means.

always thought it was funny that most of these suits/gear brag about being from kangaroo as it's the best for lightweight strength, then my AUS friends told me those things are pests down there. all about the marketing i guess to take something that's almost waste and turn into a premium product!

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
yep, down here it gets cold, gets bloody hot, loads of bloody snakes and spiders, and roos all over the place. I've hit 3 in cars, never on a bike though.

so 0 celcius is 32F, I've commuted in -4 which is about 25F, and hot 44deg C which is 111F - its not pleasant.

·
Premium Member
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yep, down here it gets cold, gets bloody hot, loads of bloody snakes and spiders, and roos all over the place. I've hit 3 in cars, never on a bike though.

so 0 celcius is 32F, I've commuted in -4 which is about 25F, and hot 44deg C which is 111F - its not pleasant.
sounds about like Texas. scrote soaking hot in summer, down under 30 deg in winter, scorpion in my kitchen, passed a couple hogs in town on the way to the gym this morning, killed 3 deer in last 2 years with cad, aprilia, and rental car while other car was in the shop from hitting a drive shaft laying in the road.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts

Come on up to CO, where you can have almost that kind of temp swing....in one day. :)

·
Premium Member
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Come on up to CO, where you can have almost that kind of temp swing....in one day. :)
so true. i've flown into in a legit blizzard one evening, and been out drinking beer with my shirt off in the sun the next day at lunch. more temp swings than my bipolar ex wife!

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
so true. i've flown into in a legit blizzard one evening, and been out drinking beer with my shirt off in the sun the next day at lunch. more temp swings than my bipolar ex wife!
I remember on Dec 17th years ago riding with my best friend in CO, and we left his place in Loveland where it was a cool 60deg and overcast, got to Allenspark and it started dumping snow on us at 30deg, so we immediately headed down 7 to Lyons to stop at Oskar Blues for a beer, and it was a bright 70+deg and sunny, all in the space of less than an hour! I remember another time when it was a legit blizzard in the morning, left 8" of snow on the ground, and it took me 1-1/2 hours to do the 9mi to work. At 1pm it was 70+ and all the snow had completely melted.

·
Premium Member
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I remember on Dec 17th years ago riding with my best friend in CO, and we left his place in Loveland where it was a cool 60deg and overcast, got to Allenspark and it started dumping snow on us at 30deg, so we immediately headed down 7 to Lyons to stop at Oskar Blues for a beer, and it was a bright 70+deg and sunny, all in the space of less than an hour!
not the least bit surprised!

·
Registered
25 Posts
You can say that again!

These Chinook winds are crazy and really melt the snow. What part of CO are you in? Did you get affected by the Chinook two weeks ago? Middle of January and high of 64 here in Denver! I saw the foothills had a high wind warning of up to 80 mph, one of my friends had a tree blow down but no other damage.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts