BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
newbee just got coding plug installed with first inspection.
now i can select slick mode and user mode.
funny thing is that the bmw japan(not the dealer) reqired me to sign on the legal disclamer saying that i fully understood that slick mode and user mode are only for closed track not intended for street.
and
i need to disconnect the connector inside passenger seat to disable tail lamp and blinkers to be able to use slick mode.
that way it can not be used on street.
so everytime i hit race track, i disconnect the connector.
then i need to hook it back on to ride on street but it actually stays on slick/user mode untill i select other mode.
is this requrement only for japan?
how do you guys go about it?
can i buy coding plug from other country that does not reqire disconnecting the connector?
thank you for your help!

Attachments

·
Registered
535 Posts
disconnecting the connector for tail light and blinkers is weird but I understand. Here in Oz we don't have to do that. we just stick the fun plug in and away we go.

Japan is strange and strict.

Funny laws.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I don't know for a fact but read on one of the forums that if your in slick (or track for a R) mode in Europe and get into a problem your insurance might not pay up. Any facts on that?? Or even if you have the plug in on the street, is there an issue?

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts
I don't know for a fact but read on one of the forums that if your in slick (or track for a R) mode in Europe and get into a problem your insurance might not pay up. Any facts on that?? Or even if you have the plug in on the street, is there an issue?
Well I've had my Slick plug in since its first 1000km service. I use USER mode exclusively with DTC and ENGINE in the SLICK Map. I popped an engine at the track and BMW covered the replacement no questions asked. In fact the dealer even said "Thats what this bike is designed to do, so of course its covered"

2nd engine the Slick plug stayed in, but the dealer did re enable the run in limiter which I didn't dare disable prior to doing another 1000k's. Its since had a water pump changed also under warranty. Again no questions asked.

All good reasons why I wont get it flash tuned, as sure as hell that would understandable void my warranty. Which for a AU$22k engine, I'm not keen to tempt

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i dont think riding on slick mode affects warranty.
but I'm not sure about insurance as they always find a way not to pay

·
4,681 Posts
There are two different things. Dealership could just be telling you because it's the policy. And functionally, you can ride with slick mode without disconnecting plug in the tail.

Have you tested keeping tail plug connected in slick mode?

I highly doubt BMW just programmed RR specifically for Japanese market. This sounds more like policy than anything else. Try it, and report back.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Bump.

Luke is looking for ways to bypass this special limiter. Japan & Taiwan bikes both have it..... and I'm from Taiwan....

Code plug is only a resistor I believe. The protection is not in the code plug.

If there is a solution, it must be in Japan. There was a member named Piper mentioned a few years ago about a after market part that can bypass this. I hope he sees this thread. (I sent him a PM.)

·
Premium Member
273 Posts
Yep same here Macca. Flash tune can f right off. Slick mode would have no bearing on an insurance claim at all. I know this for a fact. At least in AUS anyway.
In the US, it is the same only we call it a warranty. :) Insurance is for cases where you hit a 'roo, and your bike (or worse your body) needs repaired. :) Have a good day mates!

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts
Bump.

Luke is looking for ways to bypass this special limiter. Japan & Taiwan bikes both have it..... and I'm from Taiwan....

If there is a solution, it must be in Japan. There was a member named Piper mentioned a few years ago about a after market part that can bypass this. I hope he sees this thread. (I sent him a PM.)
Buy a GS911

·
Administrator
6,799 Posts
It's probably the limiter that is programmed in. It limits the power of the motorcycle over all. Not the run in limiter. There is a power limiter that is on some over seas models that is a retrofit/backfit item available in ISTA/P. If this is it, a dealer needs to do it as a GS911 is not capable.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bump.

exactly.
i know a shop in tokyo sells hand made bypass adaptor that plugs in-between the tail connector for 200usd
trying to find something cheaper or software solution
please let me know if anyone know something

btw slick mode dont affect warranty and insuarance

·
Registered
33 Posts
With Esys, under "3001 CONFIG_COUNTRY_SPECIFIC", 6 try and set "RearIndicator_JapanCheck_Enable" to not activ "nicht_activ = 00" and se if that helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have been inquiring on the coding pug as my dealer apparently didn't give to me when I got the bike (requesting now). I found someone with an extra wiring harness to allow the operation of the lights when I finally do get and install the plug (seems to be the one you mentioned from Akiba).

Have also heard that someone with some good skills may be able to by pass this through the wiring and cant believe that its that "hard" but you're likely going to pay for it.

Now, time to get the damn plug!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts