BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was out on a ride today, about 7,500 miles on my bike. For both my GF and myself, the bike suddenly began being inconsistent in spinning the starter with the clutch in and bike in gear. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes it doesn't and then does. Starting in neutral is unaffected/fine.

My presumption is that it's the clutch switch, but thought I'd check if anyone else is seeing this, or if there's a known cleaning or other issue that i should look at before taking it it.

KeS

·
Premium Member
1,476 Posts
hasn't got a clutch switch that affects the starting of the bike you only have to press the started unless the us version is different, i know mine doesn't so id be looking at the starter button or the side stand switch or gear position sensor......................
Oh yes there is a clutch switch, and I'm pretty sure it's not just for USA bikes either. Use the search function. You'll find lots of references to clutch lever replacements where shifting and starting are affected if the really fine metal switch arms aren't addressed.

·
Administrator
7,705 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so were saying that u need to pull the cluch lever to start your bmw............
I'm saying that normally, I can start the bike either in neutral with the lever out or in, or in gear with the lever in. Now the bike has begun intermittently failing to start in gear with the lever in. Hence the presumption that it's the clutch switch.

KeS

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
o i c i just assumed we all put bikes in neutral when were not using them....

id say its the clutch switch then mate lol, ohh i make me laugh.......
;););););)
I never leave a bike sitting around in neutral. Eventually they will find a way to roll and fall over. Leave that to the dealerships where they have to push them around all day, and have better insurance.

KeS

·
Registered
174 Posts
Check the clutch adjustment, if you go to far, at least in my case my bike would not start in 1st with clutch pulled in, futzing around with the adjustment cured it. I was trying to get smoother clutch action on downshifts, sometimes its a dream and other times it is very very notchy like. Let us know if that helped.
Fran

·
Registered
176 Posts
I've had the same problem which is entirely due to the switch. You may also notice that you can't change modes while riding because the clutch switch does not register pulling in the lever. This problem is due to the spring steel strip on the lever not engaging the switch which is on the fixed part of the clutch lever assembly. Its easy to fix. Get a small screw driver and bend the spring steel strip towards the switch. Make sure you test it afterwards. You want to be able to hear the switch clicking about halfway through the lever's travel.
Incidentally, I've just upgraded my levers to the BMW-branded Gilles levers (available from BMW) and they have a much better switch arrangement that won't go our of adjustment.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
the june 2010 bikes have a different updated clutch switch to bikes earlier than june 2010....i dont know if this help but i know that on mine they were different as the dealer at the time said that the clutch switches had been updated but didnt say the reason...

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
the june 2010 bikes have a different updated clutch switch to bikes earlier than june 2010....i dont know if this help but i know that on mine they were different as the dealer at the time said that the clutch switches had been updated but didnt say the reason...
There have been some posts with picts that show something different than on my early bike. While my clutch switch is working fine, the switch itself is extremely mickey-mouse and if anyone has figured out how to retrofit a better/updated part, I'd like to hear about it.

- Mark

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry, didn't post the followup. Bad clutch switch, replaced promptly by the dealer, no info on whether it was an updated part or not.

KeS

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
i had mine fail and I also couldn't change modes while moving, or start it in gear with the clutch "in". Mine failed in the "normally open" position, but still clicked when the clutch lever was pulled in and "sounded" fine.

Seems from what I've read most clutch switches fail in the "closed" position, thus disabling the QS (I could easily be wrong on this interpretation).

Thankfully my dealer agreed with my diagnosis and ordered a replacement under warranty and let me replace it myself; just had to return the old broken one. Much easier than having to schedule an appointment and wait around once it came in.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I've had the same problem which is entirely due to the switch. You may also notice that you can't change modes while riding because the clutch switch does not register pulling in the lever. This problem is due to the spring steel strip on the lever not engaging the switch which is on the fixed part of the clutch lever assembly. Its easy to fix. Get a small screw driver and bend the spring steel strip towards the switch. Make sure you test it afterwards. You want to be able to hear the switch clicking about halfway through the lever's travel.
Incidentally, I've just upgraded my levers to the BMW-branded Gilles levers (available from BMW) and they have a much better switch arrangement that won't go our of adjustment.
Just had this same exact problem. Thanks for the fix!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts