BMW S1000RR Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is strictly informational. I have no gain of any sorts. I'm not getting paid. Just passing along a resolution that works for the clutch rattle. I have been chasing the infamous clutch rattle on my 2014 RR for 2 years. Started at 9k. Now have 14k. In neutral with the clutch out at idle it sounded like a garbage disposer. Pull the clutch in and it went away. I found a machinist named Tim Hays. He builds top end high performance clutch components. I mean literally CNC's the custom piece you might need. Very smart guy. He explained to me what causes the noise. I sent him my basket. He installed a custom part. Did some other magic and sent it back. I reinstalled it with all the original clutch parts. Even the old bearings. I wanted to rule out everything except the basket. Noise is gone. Sounds like it should. Smooth at idle. Very happy. Haysmachineworks.com
or Tim @ 704-713-9274

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello. Have the same problem. Can you ask him, what exactly he did with the clutch basket? I am from Lithuania.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is strictly informational. I have no gain of any sorts. I'm not getting paid. Just passing along a resolution that works for the clutch rattle. I have been chasing the infamous clutch rattle on my 2014 RR for 2 years. Started at 9k. Now have 14k. In neutral with the clutch out at idle it sounded like a garbage disposer. Pull the clutch in and it went away. I found a machinist named Tim Hays. He builds top end high performance clutch components. I mean literally CNC's the custom piece you might need. Very smart guy. He explained to me what causes the noise. I sent him my basket. He installed a custom part. Did some other magic and sent it back. I reinstalled it with all the original clutch parts. Even the old bearings. I wanted to rule out everything except the basket. Noise is gone. Sounds like it should. Smooth at idle. Very happy. Haysmachineworks.com
or Tim @ 704-713-9274
or Tim @ 704-713-9274
Hello. Have the same problem. Can you ask him, what exactly he did with the clutch basket? I am from Lithuania.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tim asked me not to share the details. He is super knowledgeable and very professional. Just mail your outer basket to him. You can contact him at his website. Haysmachineworks.com

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I have this issue, but without knowing what specifically the fix is I'm stumped. Also cant be without the bike for the time it would take to mail parts to the US and wait for their return.

I was at the dealers yesterday and asked a mech about it, he had no idea, said book it in, they'll pull the clutch cover and take a look.

Oil is good, Castrol Power 4T 5w40

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I emailed Tim and got a reply back, basically saying to send the clutch basket to him for the fix $300 usd plus return post to Oz - I couldn't stand the downtime, so looks like a new clutch basket is next, I'll have to google for a How To :(

·
Registered
416 Posts
Wow, wish I had seen this sooner. I sold my S1K due to clutch rattle. Practically gave it away.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just went through this on a 2013 so thought I would share my experience.

A mechanic whom I trust and respect told me it was the drive shaft bearing, so I replaced that but the noise persisted. After doing some research I decided it might be cam chain noise so I took a $50 gamble on the silver cam chain nut but that didn't solve the problem either.

Here's where it gets tricky. I'd been doing a lot of research and the evidence was pointing me toward the outer clutch basket. LOTS of bad info out there about it being the springs on the back of the basket - such as "if you remove the basket and the springs rattle, it's the springs". It's not. The springs rattle regardless, and putting in tighter springs will only temporarily solve the problem. If the springs are tight it will mask the real issue which is:

The drive gear on the back of the basket actually starts to loosen a bit. The play in the drive gear causes the springs to rattle around more than they would normally which makes it seem like it's the springs but like I said, it's not.

I bought a used (500 miles on the donor bike) unit off of ebay, got it installed, and problem solved.

Here's where it gets interesting though:

The unit I found on ebay was off of a 2020. I mistakenly checked the part numbers wrong and thought they were the same but they are not. After receiving the piece, I inspected it and determined it was virtually identical to the old one apart from what seemed to be a weight saving measure they did on the inner teeth that hold the plates in place. There's a bit of material shaved off of the newer ones (see attached photos).

After doing some very careful measurements I decided to give it a shot and see if it would fit. I got the new outer basket in place no problem, outer basket installed, clutch plates in, retaining springs, pressure plate, springs, etc... all no problem. Tested functionality before reinstalling the cover and everything seemed to work as expected (I could tell at this point that it was fine, I was just trying to be extra cautious since even the parts sites - including BMW - said it wouldn't fit). Test fitting went great, everything functioned, so I applied some three bond, reinstalled the cover, started it up, and the noise was gone. Took it out for a quick ride and everything is perfect.

So here's the deal: If your clutch basket sounds like a garbage disposal idling in neutral (like OP says) and the noise goes away when pull in the clutch lever, just replace the outer clutch basket. It's a $1200 part from the dealer, but if you can find one from a newer model with low miles it will absolutely solve your problem.

You can see from the photos below (top image in each is the 2013 basket, bottom image in each is the 2020 basket) that they are damn near the same thing. Only difference is the material shaved out of the "teeth" which don't even touch anything.

***editing to add that everything else inside the basket is very different. Part of me wanted to see if I could just do a full swap to the newer version but that seemed too risky. If you order one on ebay my suggestion would be to ONLY use the outer basket as I know that part works and leave everything else that comes with it alone.

·
Registered
2016 S1000rr
61 Posts
Hate to bring up an old thread. But would this also work on the 15-16 models? Is there any difference between the 14' clutch to the 15' clutch that would make this swap unachievable? Mine is making a horrendous noise exactly like described and plan on fixing it this winter when I've got the bike torn down for overhaul.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I agree. I could have replaced the basket. But the problems will return. The majority of RRs have this rattle. The OEM design has a simple flaw. Mine is still silent 10k after Tim modified.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
FYI. Unless you have a well equipped machine shop and the knowledge you will never solve it. $300 is a bargain.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts