BMW S1000RR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed this probably a couple or a few weeks after my 6k mile service. When my bike (2014 S1000RR, 9500 miles now) is in neutral with the clutch out it makes this clunking noise that you can actually feel through the whole bike. Noise is non-existant when the clutch is in.

I found this video on youtube which has the exact sound that I'm hearing if you listen closely, it's an inconsistent rattle/bumping noise.

Anyone have any ideas? I haven't really been riding much lately because I've been pretty bummed about it. Other than this it seems to ride fine, I think!

·
Registered
988 Posts
I am told that this can be a result of slop inside the clutch basket; the "steels and fibers" fit inside grooves in the basket and those channels can open up. I am not sure if that is what you are experiencing or not, but supposedly that was an issue with my old motor (BMW tech told me so, but I did not confirm the mechanical situation).

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Naw, I've never dumped the clutch. I'm actually pretty gentle on the bike, other than when I'm doing an aggressive ride or on the track. No excessive revving, no clutch up wheelies, etc.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Does not sound that bad to me. All production clutch baskets and bearings are a little noisy . Ive heard it on new bikes, when you pull in the clutch lever in neutral it gets quieter. STM makes a beautiful aftermarket slipper clutch. They have much tighter tolerances so you will not hear the clutch basket wobble .They are good enough for the street.No need to use the heat treated milled clutch components many race bikes use. It is the same on MX bikes, they too have the same issues that is why the racers usually replace with Hinson components .

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does not sound that bad to me. All production clutch baskets and bearings are a little noisy . Ive heard it on new bikes, when you pull in the clutch lever in neutral it gets quieter. STM makes a beautiful aftermarket slipper clutch. They have much tighter tolerances so you will not hear the clutch basket wobble .They are good enough for the street.No need to use the heat treated milled clutch components many race bikes use. It is the same on MX bikes, they too have the same issues that is why the racers usually replace with Hinson components .
It's pretty bad in person, the video doesn't do much justice, it's just the only thing I found that can somewhat show what I'm experiencing. The noise is very noticeable, and the FEELING it makes is far worse than the sound. I can literally feel this clunky feeling in the bike while in neutral with clutch out, it feels really bad.

·
Registered
566 Posts
It's pretty bad in person, the video doesn't do much justice, it's just the only thing I found that can somewhat show what I'm experiencing. The noise is very noticeable, and the FEELING it makes is far worse than the sound. I can literally feel this clunky feeling in the bike while in neutral with clutch out, it feels really bad.

Mine does this too, it's been doing it for a long time. I've had a friends 13 S1000RR over the other day with 2600 KM on it and tried it. It does it too, but at an almost undetectable level. I'm not too worried about it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mine does this too, it's been doing it for a long time. I've had a friends 13 S1000RR over the other day with 2600 KM on it and tried it. It does it too, but at an almost undetectable level. I'm not too worried about it.
Yeah? Hmm. I dunno, it wouldn't have bothered me if it did it when I bought the bike..but it didn't start until after the 6k mile service. Maybe around 7-8k miles I noticed it while sitting in traffic. I notice that the noise/clunk gets worse for a little bit after I give it a rev in neutral. So weird!

·
Registered
639 Posts
I can only encourage you to listen to other bikes to compare. Maybe that will help ease your mind or at least confirm if yours is worse than others. Hopefully it is not. If it is , then bring it to the dealer.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a few friends with S1Ks, they don't have anything at all like this. Their idle in neutral is just smooth and flawless. :(

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, I'm going to bring it in next Friday to have them check it out. No other choice at this point, I guess I'm just an unlucky one! They told me they've never had to do a clutch on an S1000RR

·
Registered
566 Posts
Yeah, I'm going to bring it in next Friday to have them check it out. No other choice at this point, I guess I'm just an unlucky one! They told me they've never had to do a clutch on an S1000RR

Keep us in the loop.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What was found on your clutch issue?
Hey, I ended up having to cancel my service appointment due to stuff coming up, so I haven't been down to have it checked out yet.

Still suffering the same issue, nothing has really changed.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Okaaay, really really late update. Bike's at the shop now, decided to sit on it until I needed my 12k service. Turns out it isn't the clutch, it's the cam chain making the noise. It's getting fixed under warranty.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mine is doing the same thing, time to get it in the shop I guess.
hey! when you bring it in tell them that the clutch springs are loose, that's what it ended up bring with mine! and it was covered under warranty. make sure to get your cam chain and tensioner checked as well!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts