BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, new on the forum with a strange one. Despite searching, I’ve not found any posts that specify this issue. ‘14 HP4 with 1500 miles: 2 issues; issue 1, no clutch operation. Bike has full clutch feel at the lever, full articulation at the clutch arm and the cable is totally intact. The micro switch is audible, but the bike will start and take off in gear - with the clutch totally inoperable. Issue 2, no ability to select between modes. Bike seems to be stuck in race mode, but there is no on screen selection available to toggle. The bike was recently serviced and exhibited no issues at that time (appx 1 month ago). Any suggestions appreciated.

·
Administrator
7,451 Posts
Clutch issue needs to have the engine cover removed to inspect. If you say the cable is fine and the arm on the left side of the bike is fine. You need to remove the cover on the right to have a look at the clutch. So if you start the bike in gear, you can't pull the clutch and come to a stop?

With the modes. It could be the switch itself. Or it could be the tps adaptations. Both of these can be checked and reset at a dealer or at least with a GS911.

·
Administrator
6,932 Posts
R Mutt, you mention that the bike was serviced and now it has an issue. Was the oil changed? What oil did they use? I'm thinking that the plates may be stuck together. Did you try cranking it with the clutch pulled in?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies, gents. Correct, the bike will take off as if there is no clutch, if started in gear with the clutch lever pulled in. Will need to inspect plates...and need to look up oil spec from the service. Wondering if there is any possible relationship between the two issues.

·
Administrator
6,932 Posts
Long ago, with single weight oil and wet clutch the plates would stick together. We would just pull in the clutch and kick the bike over until they broke loose, I wonder.........the oil could be a factor especially if it's been in a cold shed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts