BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
Does anyone know how to clear this code or do I have to take it to the dealer? I replaced my running/parking lights with LEDs and I know the led wattage is less than the stock 5W bulbs, so that's why the fault code. Just checking to see if there is a fix within the menu I overlooked. If not I'll take it to the dealer and pay he $40+ that they'll charge. BTW the Sylvania LEDs look awesome!!

·
Premium Member
1,478 Posts
Yeah there is a setting in the dash that allows you to turn off the lamp warning. I have HID lights on mine so I have it turned off. It's really only handy if a globe goes out so you know if you forget to check. Some globes are not CAN bus compatible.
Benny,
I know you're a tech, and most of your advise is good, but I'm sure you're wrong on this one for the reason given, and everybody who asks these questions about resistance based error codes deserves a full and correct answer. I've done that many times since 2010. Too bad many don't search for this subject.

Headlights (HID or otherwise) aren't connected to the CANBUS harness and don't cause LAMPx errors. Headlights are fused in the back like "normal" wiring.

The LAMPx errors only apply to the parking, turn signal, tail and stop lights which are on the CANBUS system and reported to the ECU. This is clearly in the owner's manual. On 2012 and newer S1K bikes, you can turn those specific error codes off via the menu, and on all models (2010 and on), you can also turn them off with a GS-911.

If you said you needed to turn the LAMPx errors off your bike, I'm sure it was because you installed LEDs or other low resistance lamps in the parking or turn signal locations.

·
Registered
704 Posts
The Philips T10 is a 6k error free LED on the 15, may be true for the older bikes as well; disabling the warning means you won't be notified of other canbus connected lamp failures...PnP is the way to go IMO.

·
4,665 Posts
Originally I wanted to put LEDs on my bike, dealership techie said he has to tell the ECU that a lower wattage bulbs are used so warning does not show up.

Disabling the warning is a hack for street use, this is not the correct way to fix this issue. Because when a light goes out or you forget to connect its cable you don't get the warning.

I suggest paying the $40. Or see if you can change the setting with gs-911. I have not tried to do that.

Or get PnP bulbs like Philips ultra whites (what I have), no need to change ECU settings, no errors.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts