BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I am waiting my Dymag CA5 wheels I need to know how to clean them, especially from chain lube. As far as I know you are not allowed to use solvents. Yes simple green might be a solution but chain lube is really difficult to clean.

·
Super Moderator
6,405 Posts
What does Dymag say? Oh look, here it is: 8.10. Infrequent or improper cleaning of Dymag products will void the finish warranty Advice on wheel cleaning: Only a mild soap applied with a hose or soft cloth should be used to clean Dymag products. So they actually say that you should clean them regularly, I can imagine brake dust staying on the wheels could be bad when you add water.

Personally I like to put a couple applications of a good wax on the wheels before they go on the bike. It makes cleaning so much easier. Mild soap and/or a detailing spray and soft microfiber cloths keep the wheels clean. As I've mentioned before, I have a set of BST's from 2010 and they still look new after LOTS of miles and track days.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Mine aren't carbon, but I like to clean my wheels with Plexus. Seems to make them much easier to clear of chain lube etc. I've read of people using Plexus for carbon wheels but have no personal experience.

I found this: http://www.red-mist.com.au/faq.html

Q: How should I clean my BST wheels?

A: Use warm water with a mild cleaner, avoid petroleum or alcohol based products and don't use aggressive or abrasive cleaners. A mild de-greaser will remove any oil. You can polish them with any normal polish for a painted surface. If you want to refurbish the wheels to get back the gloss and shine, then use a polish with a rubbing compound in it, and complete the process with a finishing polish. USA Distributor Motowheels uses "Plexus" to clean and "Glare" wax to protect.

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
I wipe off excess lube from my chain and it is extremely rare that I get lube on my Rotobox CF wheels, it gets on the tires some times, but the rim seems to be too far inside the tire to get hit. Anyway, 99% of the time I use a car duster to get the bulk of dirt off (I have a 1.5km dirt road to travel on each ride to get to asphalt) then I wipe it down with a damp paper towel (blue towel). They still look like new after over 4 years. When I have found tar or lube on the wheel I'll use WD40 as I do on the plastics. Never had an issue with a loss of high gloss shine. I do not believe that a rim that can survive all types of petroleum lubes but cannot handle WD40, that many use for a lube!

As to your tire slip concern, yes talk to the manu. My Rotorbox were made with a roughened bead seat, much like it was sanded, running a finger across it feels like about 120 grit sandpaper. On metal rims I've never had a slip from using No-Mar tire lube products.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts