BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thankfully I caught the last open track day for the season at my local track here in Belgium, Circuit Zolder. This was my second time here; the first being with my previous 2005 R1 back in April. I LOVE this track and will miss being 20 minutes away from an (ex) Grand-Prix circuit.

The organizer was running 4 groups that day; 2 instructional and 2 open, split between "snel" and "mindersnel" running 5-7 sessions per group at 20 minutes a piece. To give you an idea of lap times... Markus Reiterberger (IDM Superbike/WSBK S1000RR) runs 1'30"ish on a good day. Lots of fast "snel" guys run low 1'40"s to low 1'50"s and "mindersnel" folks run 1'55"+.

Belgium's weather is generally cool and rainy with sunshine in short supply. Rain fell the day before and temps hovered between 45F-55F 24 hours prior. The morning was cool, wet, and slick. Within 30 seconds of the first session people were crashing out. I skipped my first session in an attempt to let a dry line begin to form on track. My 1100 session was slow (2'30" to 3'00") and cautious; I had no interest in being a hero. By 1300 times were starting to drop and by 1500 it was all systems go. I managed a 1'55" in my 4th and last session, which was 4 seconds faster than I ran with my R1.

The bike is 100% stock apart from some Stomp Grip and crash protection. I ran the Metzelers at 28R/32F off the warmers, which felt great all day. Once they have heat in them they stuck quite well. The bike itself was amazing. The power, brakes, blipper are all so, so good! Watching my footage back, there are tons of places where I was simply too slow getting on the throttle. Part of this was intimidation and the other was fitness... I'm clearly not in good enough shape to hustle this bike like I should. The only real issue that came up was some serious brake fade/lever inconsistency. Not sure what's up with that. Otherwise, great day, amazing bike. Cheers.

Best lap:

Playing with lap traffic:

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
This is great! You were clearly much faster than most guys in the group and that too with the stock bike

When did you notice the brake fade and lever inconsistency issues?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When did you notice the brake fade and lever inconsistency issues?
In my third and fourth session, the lever would start hard (lever fully extended) to rather soft with less of a reach. The bike would still stop... I could modulate and brake as deep as I wanted... but maybe this is the ABS vagueness people talk about. I ran the bike in Race mode all day and only engaged ABS once. THAT got my attention!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How did you find the auto blipper. Any lurching or inconsistent shifts going down?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Yes, I had a few inconsistencies with the blipper; a few times no downshift available, one false neutral, and one time it seemed to double shift into first... but I chalk all of that up to rider error/foot placement/still on throttle.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Yes, I had a few inconsistencies with the blipper; a few times no downshift available, one false neutral, and one time it seemed to double shift into first... but I chalk all of that up to rider error/foot placement/still on throttle.
Interesting. Mine's a bit jumpy at times, but no missed shifts or false neutrals yet. I find it works best with a good firm shove as far down as it'll go.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
The only time it has not downshifted for me - I had the throttle opened ever so slightly - not realizing I did it. Otherwise it has been flawless - much better than upshifting - which is a 50/50 of really smooth shifts to really hard shifts.

Honestly don't think I've had the ABS activate once this year maybe once or twice last year - I brake pretty hard ride in advanced/expert group mostly run mid pack.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey tclewis573,

Ik heb me voor komend seizoen ook de Metzeler racetec RR gekocht voor mijn HP4 (achteraan in 200/60R17) voor het makkelijker insturen en de betere grip op circuit natuurlijk :laugh:.Welke bandendruk rij jij op de Metzelers?
Zolder blijft ook nog steeds één van mijn favoriete circuits en ik ben voor komend seizoen al 2X ingeschreven voor Zolder en 1X voor Francorchamps.
Hoe oud is je S1000RR? Heb jij DDC?(Ik worstel nog steeds een beetje met mijn instellingen voor de DDC).
Ik merk wel op je filmpje dat je weinig voorveerspanning hebt (ver uitgedraaid op rechtse stuurhelft)...?

greetz
Goedi

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey tclewis573,

Ik heb me voor komend seizoen ook de Metzeler racetec RR gekocht voor mijn HP4 (achteraan in 200/60R17) voor het makkelijker insturen en de betere grip op circuit natuurlijk .Welke bandendruk rij jij op de Metzelers?
Zolder blijft ook nog steeds één van mijn favoriete circuits en ik ben voor komend seizoen al 2X ingeschreven voor Zolder en 1X voor Francorchamps.
Hoe oud is je S1000RR? Heb jij DDC?(Ik worstel nog steeds een beetje met mijn instellingen voor de DDC).
Ik merk wel op je filmpje dat je weinig voorveerspanning hebt (ver uitgedraaid op rechtse stuurhelft)...?

greetz
Goedi
Hey goediman, everything you're asking is in my original post. Have fun!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Cool video, zolder is my favourite track. I ran 1:50 last year on a stock 2012.

Zolder is quite hard on the brakes and I also run into some brake fade when my pads are getting worn. 24 of april i have the first day on my new 2015 bike there. Really interested in what the DDC feels like in comparison to 2012 non DDC fork.

·
Registered
3,626 Posts

Zolder is quite hard on the brakes and I also run into some brake fade when my pads are getting worn. 24 of april i have the first day on my new 2015 bike there. Really interested in what the DDC feels like in comparison to 2012 non DDC fork.
I have DDC on my '15 also, please do post about it as I'm curious to see your thoughts about it on-track.

Have fun and be safe!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

I will miss Zolder. Unfortunately I won't get to ride it again before I leave the country. Even with the fade I was out-braking everyone. However I was in mindersnel so.... probably not hard to do!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts