BMW S1000RR Forum banner

61 - 80 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Hey Nikk, what's been your learning through your reading on the Motul?
I don't remember off hand as I was focused on seeing if the Rotella was good or bad... bobistheoilguy.com was one site i remember. Don't recall a ton of folks using it though... I could be wrong though...

Rotella T6 syn(blue jug) is JASO-MA certified....

Also for the race bike, Emgo race oil filters filter as well as oem but allow more flow which creates less pressure thus the oil pump turns more freely... ie HP gain of about 1..... but hey, that's a free HP... Motor builder tested and concluded that on a racebike build where he dynoed after each change....

Interesting, oem paper filters filter better, flow same/more air then aftermarket/oiled filters...
Motorcycle Oil and Filters

·
Registered
283 Posts
my buddy swears by Rotella. Used it on all his preivous bikes and now his 1999 VFR800 has over 55K miles and still used Rotella.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Anytime....I'm going after Rotella for sponsorship!!! :D God knows I spend enough with them already!!! Even at the cheap walmart prices.... Every other race/track weekend adds up quick!

·
Administrator
7,705 Posts
Anytime....I'm going after Rotella for sponsorship!!! :D God knows I spend enough with them already!!! Even at the cheap walmart prices.... Every other race/track weekend adds up quick!
I hear ya... same here, seems I go through oil like my household does milk! Maybe I need to get in touch with Motul :)

·
Registered
249 Posts
Hahaha, you got a better shot then I do...motul does some sponsorship I think... ever seen diesel oil sponsoring a motorcycle race? I'll cross sell 'em by saying all the tow rigs need their oil!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
shell oils

HI have used car oils in all my bikes since the 70s been a mech all my life fixing cars .I hate cars only use them when i have to Love bikes in the bm I
use shell 5x40 f/s rotella in and ACTIV 8 its done 10,000 miles had it on dyno produces 190.5bhp at 13,250,, that bike accelerates so hard at 11,000 its a bit scary never had it flat out yet only 168 mph in Germany on the autobahn roads just to busy. Other mods got rid of the heavy throttle ,made the back of my hand hurt ,unwound the throttle spring back and jamed a bracket to hold it.
Fitted them slightly heigher bars ( trac star heli-bars) good now after 2hours in the saddle only my arse hurts ( HEY WHAT A BIKE) UK BIKER

:):)

·
Banned
1,491 Posts
i put alisyn <0wt oil in my bike a few weeks ago, didnt notice any power gains (trap speeds at the 1/4) and after about 20 passes or so started noticing issues with shifting, so ill most likely be going to motul this week.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Reviving a somewhat old thread, but wanted to let you guys know Advance Auto, a major auto parts chain in the USA, carries a variety of motorcycle oil and filters. I've been able to get Mobil 1 Racing 4T in 10W40 for a year at $9.99/qt, but just yesterday I saw they now carry Castrol Power RS Racing 4T in 10W40 at $9.69/qt. It's API Service is SL, JASO MA-2 so it does meet BMW's recommendation. I picked up 4 QT. If you want some but can't find it, I'd be willing stock up and ship 4 quarts in the USA for $55 total (includes tax and shipping cost).

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Reviving a somewhat old thread, but wanted to let you guys know Advance Auto, a major auto parts chain in the USA, carries a variety of motorcycle oil and filters. I've been able to get Mobil 1 Racing 4T in 10W40 for a year at $9.99/qt, but just yesterday I saw they now carry Castrol Power RS Racing 4T in 10W40 at $9.69/qt. It's API Service is SL, JASO MA-2 so it does meet BMW's recommendation. I picked up 4 QT. If you want some but can't find it, I'd be willing stock up and ship 4 quarts in the USA for $55 total (includes tax and shipping cost).
Good to know. Several advanced auto stores close to my place.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Good to know. Several advanced auto stores close to my place.
Forgot to mention to look on an isle that has motorcycle and lawn mower oil. It's not found on the wall with all the auto oil/filters. If for some reason your store doesn't stock it, ask them to order it. UPC is 79191 06079 (there is a 0 way out to the left, and a 7 way out to the right in case they need those too!)

Disclaimer: I don't work for Advance Auto!

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts

·
Premium Member
803 Posts
From an earlier post I did:

I ran a test on Saturday with the 300 V 4T 5W-40. Road my S1Krr to the Dyno, strapped it on and did a pull. It had Castrol 5w30 in her with a little over 500 miles on the oil. Drained the oil ( my does it run out like water when it is that hot) and replaced it with the Motul. Did 3 pulls. As compared to the Castrol, the results where -1.5 wHP, +1.5 wHP, +1.6 wHP. The oil wasn't up to temp on the first pull.

Since then, I can say that empirically that the Motul likes warm temps and does produce 1-2 more wHP. Suggestively, my shifting is nice, smooth, and precise.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
MA2?

Plus one for the motul oil. I love that stuff. Looks like alien blood.
Wen't also to get "alien blood" to my alien, but noticed that the V300 has not JASO MA2-rating?!? Got confused and got back empty handed...

Am I missing something? The V300 has not right rating - only MA.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
The V300 has not right rating - only MA.
Many many good oils have only MA rather than MA2 ratings. I've never seen anything completely definitive about what the difference is (the first post on this thread has some info), but most think it is minor and the fact an oil doesn't have MA2 probably has to do with them simply not wanting to do another expensive test.. At least for awhile, some of BMW's specifically recommended oils for the S1000RR were MA rather than MA2.

MA vs. MA2 wouldn't be a consideration in my selection of oil.

- Mark

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
NO MA2

Many many good oils have only MA rather than MA2 ratings. I've never seen anything completely definitive about what the difference is (the first post on this thread has some info), but most think it is minor and the fact an oil doesn't have MA2 probably has to do with them simply not wanting to do another expensive test.. At least for awhile, some of BMW's specifically recommended oils for the S1000RR were MA rather than MA2.

MA vs. MA2 wouldn't be a consideration in my selection of oil.

- Mark
I don't buy that - if they wan't to sell oil they probably wan't to get ratings what is needed. I would not like to put any lower rating oil for my precious than BMW recommends and lose power for clutch slipping...

There is also MA2 ratings in Motul 7100 Welcome to Motul Why don't people use that?!?

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
I don't buy that - if they wan't to sell oil they probably wan't to get ratings what is needed.
The reason oils are not all up to date with the latest ratings is that these ratings are expensive, both the initial testing, and the licensing fees to be able to print the rating on the bottle. In many ways, these ratings are a profit-center for the organizations who developed them, not unlike Snell, JD Powers, Good Housekeeping, UL Listing, etc. One reason the ratings systems change is to be able to extract additional money from the mfgs who want to put the ratings on their bottles. It happens all the time that oils are on the market which meet an old rating system, but not a new one; a mfg makes the judgment that they don't want to pay more money for more testing and additional licensing fees. Like I said, until a year or so ago, even the oil that BMW recommended for the S1000RR wasn't MA2 rated. And there is no information that MA2 is a "higher" level of rating than MA or that a MA2 oil is "better" than a MA oil - it's just different, a refinement, possibly even just a change for the sake of change.

On the clutch slipping issue, it's very rare to begin with no matter what oil you use, and readily apparent if it ever happens. If there is anyone who has had a clutch slipping issue due to using MA rather than MA2 oil, I've never heard of it.

The Motul is an excellent oil, but If I decided to use it, it would be because it was a true ester-based group V synthetic oil, not because of MA vs. MA2.

- Mark

61 - 80 of 96 Posts