BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I understand each fork capacity of 602ml with 90-100mm air gap. Btw, 2014 with standard forks. I have bought the relevant tools required to do my own change, but every retailer i have seen sells their fork oil in 1L jugs. My question is: If i buy one jug of 1L fork oil to cover both forks, will i be a little too short (bigger air gap), more specifically, what kind of air gap can i expect with just 1L? Trying to avoid buying a second jug (saving 28$ish CAN)

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello. I understand each fork capacity of 602ml with 90-100mm air gap. Btw, 2014 with standard forks. I have bought the relevant tools required to do my own change, but every retailer i have seen sells their fork oil in 1L jugs. My question is: If i buy one jug of 1L fork oil to cover both forks, will i be a little too short (bigger air gap), more specifically, what kind of air gap can i expect with just 1L? Trying to avoid buying a second jug (saving 28$ish CAN)
Thanx Bennymx. Appreciate the info.

·
Super Moderator
6,463 Posts
Do it right. As others have said, you can get Motul fork oil in 500ml jugs. Or just get another liter jug of your chosen brand and keep it for the next change. No way can you get it done with only 1 liter unless you reuse some of the old stuff. You will like the improvement so much you will be changing it again sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do it right. As others have said, you can get Motul fork oil in 500ml jugs. Or just get another liter jug of your chosen brand and keep it for the next change. No way can you get it done with only 1 liter unless you reuse some of the old stuff. You will like the improvement so much you will be changing it again sooner rather than later.
Thanx Skapan, I was leaning towards getting another litre. Am i right in this thinking: Increasing the air gap to, say, 120mm (vs the std 90mm) requires less fluid (thus possibly being able to use 1L per change)? I understand some have used simlar setups with positive results.

Also, this will be the first time I have done a fork oil change, my bike has 17000kms, the seals look well and no dirt or anything sticking to forks. I rarely do wheelies, if at all, but have done some aggressive riding at places like the track (beg/interm) and yearly trips to the Dragon. My hope is waiting till i hit 30k to do the next fork oil change and seals. U think thats wise?

·
Registered
14 Posts
You'll definitely use less fork oil that way... BMW however "suggests" using 602 mL with 90 mm gap for a standard rider. Seals are not a maintenance item, replace as needed (when leaking). Oil is supposed to be changed every 30,000 kms, although I am certain that changing it before then will improve the performance of your suspension. You are certainly free to try your modified setup, I doubt you will harm the forks. However, you may experience more exaggerated suspension movement.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Seals will be fine. They last a while. As for the air gap. Don't set it different. Set it as per the manual. It's set that way for a reason.
Sounds good. Now to just find that Silkolene Pro Rsf 7.5w, or the Red Line Medium. Both have good Vi ratings, just cant seem to find em in Canada, or shipped here. Any of my Canadian buddies have some advice?

·
Super Moderator
6,463 Posts
I use the Motul 7.5 fork oil. Easy to find, works better than the stuff that came in the bike. More air gap could mean suspension issues, like bottoming out harder and 100 ml is a LOT of air.......don't forget the air gap is there to cushion the end of fork travel before it hits the hard stop. Bigger gap would make it easier to compress at a given stroke.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I use the Motul 7.5 fork oil. Easy to find, works better than the stuff that came in the bike. More air gap could mean suspension issues, like bottoming out harder and 100 ml is a LOT of air.......don't forget the air gap is there to cushion the end of fork travel before it hits the hard stop. Bigger gap would make it easier to compress at a given stroke.
That makes alot of sense. Thnx. Im learning quite a bit since ive decided to do alot of the maintenance work myself on this bike.

·
Vendor
2,312 Posts
Sounds good. Now to just find that Silkolene Pro Rsf 7.5w, or the Red Line Medium. Both have good Vi ratings, just cant seem to find em in Canada, or shipped here. Any of my Canadian buddies have some advice?
This company ships worldwide. I have ordered my 7.5wt from them. Takes about 12-14 days to get to US.

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
I order from gpbikes in Ajax. Over $40 and free shipping. In spring, they do no tax sale too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts