BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to change front pads on a 2020 with Hayes calipers.

Is there a how to (preferably with torque specs)?

Looks like I might need to buy external torx plus sockets but I haven't removed the calipers yet.

The owners manual is not much help.

Also, is the search feature down? Maybe I'm doing something wrong. I tried several things but always got zero results.

·
Registered
751 Posts
You need female torx, don't remember which one, just buy a set for $8 or so.

Caliper bolts are 38nm. Pad pins can be tightened by hand, just don't overtighten them.

It's an easy job.

·
Premium Member
3,065 Posts
Thank you sir! I know what to do.
Maybe make a video for the rest of us then? Wanted to change my pads to the SBS version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good idea. Waiting for delivery of external torx plus sockets - will be several days.

After you see my video skills you might regret asking, but I'll have a go!

I got a set of SBS DS-2. Not used them before but looking forward to trying. The packaging is so fancy I thought I bought a Rolex by mistake.

So far, master cylinder and calipers seem fine (not had it on track yet).

·
Registered
751 Posts
Good idea. Waiting for delivery of external torx plus sockets - will be several days.

After you see my video skills you might regret asking, but I'll have a go!

I got a set of SBS DS-2. Not used them before but looking forward to trying. The packaging is so fancy I thought I bought a Rolex by mistake.

So far, master cylinder and calipers seem fine (not had it on track yet).
Make sure to warm them up before relying on their stopping power. They are excellent pads, but they need to be warm.

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Make sure to warm them up before relying on their stopping power. They are excellent pads, but they need to be warm.
Thanks for the warning. No stoppies at the first stop sign! I use CL 60 on a different bike and they seem to warm up quick - I drag them a little when I first start out. Hopefully SBS will be good.

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maybe make a video for the rest of us then? Wanted to change my pads to the SBS version.
Well, it's not dramatic enough for a video. I see now why people think less of the Hayes calipers. The components and finish aren't as nice as the Brembos I've had. That said, so far I can't fault their performance. (Mine haven't leaked.)

The pins that retain the pads take an external torx plus 8. Easiest to loosen them a bit before removing the caliper bolts.

Note that the back of the each pin has a retaining ring. Tiny silver ones that snap into place and that will spring to who knows where in your garage if you aren't ready for them. At some point I'll probably drill and wire the pins, and ditch the retaining rings.

Pressing the pads back into the caliper (against the anti-rattle clip) releases pressure on the retaining pins and makes them easier to remove. The pads come easily out of the front of the caliper. No need to remove the anti-rattle clip unless you need to clean the caliper.

The backs of the pads and the pad retaining pins were dry when I took them out - no copper paste or anything like that - so I put the new pads and the pins back in dry too. I think the pistons need to be retracted almost entirely into the caliper for new pads. I'll probably pick up some spare retaining pins.

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How much brake drag is "normal" with the Hayes calipers?

With some bikes my front wheel spins fairly freely, other bikes less so, but my 2020 barely makes a single rotation before the brake drag stops the front wheel.

Is that about how much drag you guys are getting?

Clean calipers/pistons, smooth pad retaining pins, new pads, not too much brake fluid, everything installed and torqued correctly.

·
Registered
751 Posts
How much brake drag is "normal" with the Hayes calipers?

With some bikes my front wheel spins fairly freely, other bikes less so, but my 2020 barely makes a single rotation before the brake drag stops the front wheel.

Is that about how much drag you guys are getting?

Clean calipers/pistons, smooth pad retaining pins, new pads, not too much brake fluid, everything installed and torqued correctly.
1 wheel rotation when pull hard

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Has anyone found pad pins for the 2020 Hayes calipers that are drilled for safety wire? (I drilled a set of OEM but am not happy with the results.)

I found these, but am not yet sure what fits:

If someone has a confirmed source (especially Ti), please share?

If not, I'll report what I get.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts