BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the 2019/20 rr the lower part of the chain rests on a plastic piece on the swingarm. Looks pretty weird but I'm told this is normal. Does the chain lift off the plastic piece once the engine starts rotating the chain? If not there would be some friction on the chain from it.
Also, because of the design of the swingarm, only a very small section of the chain can be reached and cleaned before moving on to the next section, makes cleaning it more of a chore.

·
Super Moderator
9,682 Posts
suspension compresses once you sitting on the bike. There's also tension once you're on your way. As benny said, just ride.

Cleaning wise, use a stand.

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
Listen to these guys...they know what they're saying!

If you look too closely at all the moving parts on your bike, you're likely to conclude it's not safe to use, as an air traffic controller once did, over the air, regarding helicopters, while I was listening in my airplane - "Too many moving parts, too close together!"

Check your tire pressures before every ride.

:)

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I always use a rear stand when cleaning my chain, just need to get used to cleaning very small sections at a time.

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
you can't reasonably check all the bolt torques before every ride

additionally, unless you make a mistake, bolts won't loosen. in comparison, on tires, you can get a leak from road debris without doing anything wrong.
Well, actually, you can...in a way. The use of torque paint on critical bolts will give you an indication if anything has slipped out of tolerance. I have my mechanic use torque paint on axle bolts and it gives me peace of mind, even if it isn't "precise" as a torque check.

·
Super Moderator
9,682 Posts
Well, actually, you can...in a way. The use of torque paint on critical bolts will give you an indication if anything has slipped out of tolerance. I have my mechanic use torque paint on axle bolts and it gives me peace of mind, even if it isn't "precise" as a torque check.
It’s like bus and tractor trailer lug nuts. They usually have arrows indicating is anything came loose.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts