BMW S1000RR Forum banner

141 - 160 of 225 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
What facts do you have about how the other Supplier don’t braid the wheels as well? Not because a company makes promotion of their achievements automatically means the other don’t have something.
Who knows maybe they have a 8.5m braiding machine? Not the biggest but...?

It’s more dangerous the oil cooler topic yet o did race track going 270 on the small straight and even on the German highway 300 km/h!

For sure a bad finishing for such an expensive option I will also go and claim a new wheel but that I cannot judge what is safe or not, is another matter.

If you cannot judge I understand but I do feel safe on mine as they are perfect at the moment. And the material looks like the TK (saw them in a shop here).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
93 Posts
Oddly, I’ve gone 5700 miles, on nyc streets, and a track day, and numerous pot holes and speed bumps in the highway, and my wheels don’t show any imperfections as seen on here.. I’m not sure if I’m just lucky, and y’all are jumping your scooters over table tops or what..

·
Registered
146 Posts
Oddly, I’ve gone 5700 miles, on nyc streets, and a track day, and numerous pot holes and speed bumps in the highway, and my wheels don’t show any imperfections as seen on here.. I’m not sure if I’m just lucky, and y’all are jumping your scooters over table tops or what..

We have to acknowledge the others concerns and they do have visible defects on their wheels.
If these are a representative risk or not is hard to say.

When one watches 44 teeth interview with the project lead of the hp4 race. On the topic of falls on track and the carbon frame. Basically he says if the frame has superficial scratches you just don’t mind and keep going. He says of course if you see a hole or broken then of course don’t use it because bike frame is done.

So here scratching seems not compromising the integrity of such a component.

Just hope bmw keeps changing them and not come back with such arguments for the wheels.

Mine as yours are perfect so far.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Maybe in the split with BMW they are not getting license to make them for the new RR. Would be logical to think.

Exclusivities to the other vendor to get better conditions on the deal.
How do you know if the other vendor don’t have a similar or better method of manufacturing these wheels?

in the EU are you required to get a license to make an aftermarket part for a vehicle? Here in the US it isn't required. if the manufacturer likes an aftermarket supplier they might provide them with specs ahead of time, or promote them, but I don't believe there's any way of keeping someone from making wheels for a motorcycle you make (here at least).

·
Super Moderator
6,403 Posts
There are DOT testing requirements for motorcycle wheels, the DOT number will be found somewhere on the wheel if it (aftermarket) has been approved. OEM may differ as the vehicle could be tested as a complete assembly not as a component.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Even if the cracks do not lead to failure, imagine resale and trying to convince a buyer that the cracks are normal and fine.

very true... not to mention its just unnacceptable to have cracks on brand new wheels on such an expensive flagship motorcycle... even if its just purely cosmetic (which in some cases its already proven to be more than cosmetic) this is just NOT something that should be happening... what if your seat leather was splitting open, or your fairings splitting in half, or your tires cracking open within the first few months... no one should be making defenses for BMW on this issue, trying to rationalize that its only cosmetic, would still not be acceptable... maybe on an entry level super cheap bike, but not their top model.

whoever the supplier is that BMW used has really screwed up... just another sign (like the hacked up US tuning) this bike was rushed to market without proper evaluation.

·
Registered
146 Posts
As said above. Very justified to ask for replacement under these cracks. Didn’t meant otherwise.

I recall such heated discussions also when on the R forum where the fairings of many were coming off at speed due to wrong fixing. There was recall afterwards.
Same type of conversation.

Panigale V4 had rear brake caliper coming off then big issue. Pics of bike rear in pieces = recall. Same conversations on those forums as well.
Not to forget the burning Panigale. Also another recall.
And many more.

So we are clear here, yes use your right to claim, get your cracked wheels changed very time as long as you have guarantee. I’d do same.

Make your own judgement. This forum is very helpful when we all contribute to it :)

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Excuse the ad hominem comment here but: @CYCLE_MONKEY do you always speak down to people like you're better than everyone? Or just on this forum?

Believe it or not it's possible to disagree with people without belittling them or insinuating that they're idiots.
LOL Remind me again who said who would be better off riding a Hardley???

No, I just don't want to see anyone getting hurt or killed over ignorance. THAT'S why I'm passionate about it. Certain materials are good at certain things, certain others they totally suck at. In my opinion, using a material PROVEN to have major issues with minor impacts or scratches in a component where there is a VERY big possibility of them getting just that (tire changes, potholes, etc.), and then failing catastrophically like metal wheel will almost never do, is a mistake. Name a racing series that allows C/F wheels, I'll wait. As I said, we were extremely careful to make sure we ONLY used C/F in areas that would not see any of that OR take any heat. Metals, as shown, are far more forgiving. I'm not going to claim I'M an expert, but I worked closely with several.

Isn't being paranoid and somewhat of an "alarmist" about our bikes and when we ride what keeps us alive?

And for the record, I formally apologize to PNorris for equating him to peanut butter.... :)

·
Registered
146 Posts

No, I just don't want to see anyone getting hurt or killed over ignorance. THAT'S why I'm passionate about it. Certain materials are good at certain things, certain others they totally suck at. In my opinion, using a material PROVEN to have major issues with minor impacts or scratches in a component where there is a VERY big possibility of them getting just that (tire changes, potholes, etc.), and then failing catastrophically like metal wheel will almost never do, is a mistake. Name a racing series that allows C/F wheels, I'll wait. As I said, we were extremely careful to make sure we ONLY used C/F in areas that would not see any of that OR take any heat. Metals, as shown, are far more forgiving. I'm not going to claim I'M an expert, but I worked closely with several.

Isn't being paranoid and somewhat of an "alarmist" about our bikes and when we ride what keeps us alive?

And for the record, I formally apologize to PNorris for equating him to peanut butter.... :)

So you say BMW and other CF wheel manufacturers as well as other brands that do this are doing a MISTAKE.

I wonder why all of them follow the trend.

·
Registered
400 Posts

I like peanut better, especially in icecream. I have this new flavor that is a vanilla chocolate swirl with peanut butter. Sweet baby jesus.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
So you say BMW and other CF wheel manufacturers as well as other brands that do this are doing a MISTAKE.

I wonder why all of them follow the trend.

IMO, C/F for THIS use IS a mistake. I don't see one, maybe 2 manufacturer's offering them OEM and rare aftermarket offerings as a "trend".

Now, if they made a HYBRID with an aluminum spool for brake disk and sprocket attachment (which the do now anyway), and the outer rim itself (the part most subject to scratches/gouges/dents) connected with C/F spokes, NOW I'm interested. I take issue with the APPLICATION, not the material itself. In short, don't use it where it's going to get dinged up because that's when it's going to fail. ;)

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I like peanut better, especially in icecream. I have this new flavor that is a vanilla chocolate swirl with peanut butter. Sweet baby jesus.
Maybe instead of "Skippy" I should call you Reese's Cup? LOL :)

·
Registered
146 Posts
It’s not like I’m going to borrow my bike to the other half and she will park it like she does with the cager and the wheels scratch over the curb.

In 17 or so years riding bikes (not doing enduro btw) the only dent any of my rims had was a mishandling by the dealer when changing a tire. Small one.

And well if you were not aware big auto manufacturers put CF wheels on their super sport or hyper cars. More and more bikers buy CF wheels from other brands maybe those live where no turns exist and only do highway launches with their friends, still these are trending among us.
Then BMW comes with this idea of mass making them for the RR....

Well I just hope all of us are not wrong for our safety sake.

·
Registered
146 Posts
2020 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 with...... yes, CF wheels!

Mustang and exclusive car? Hmm

·
Registered
63 Posts
With all those cases and replacements by dealers, how is it that BMW and or related entities in any country taking any action, obviously high risk issue, what am I missing here ?

141 - 160 of 225 Posts