BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I dropped bike on side.
After that I started bike and run for 20Km, after that bike shutdown and showed me VDS error.
I tried many things:
- Inserted working VDS sensor
- Checked battery and replaced with good battery
- Checked fuses
And nothing

When I insert key I got only VDS error..and I don't hear fuel pump.

I go to service and they try to do diagnostic but bike wont connect on ECU. They say no signal on K-Line.

Bike is S1000RR 2010 bayed with original alarm as equipment.

Any suggestion? Why no signal on K-Line?
Can be alarm problem and is he responsible coz no signal on K-Line?

Can I somehow avoid alarm or what to do to get communication with bike?

·
Vendor
2,080 Posts
Hi,
I dropped bike on side.
After that I started bike and run for 20Km, after that bike shutdown and showed me VDS error.
I tried many things:
- Inserted working VDS sensor
- Checked battery and replaced with good battery
- Checked fuses
And nothing

I go to service and they try to do diagnostic but bike wont connect on ECU. They say no signal on K-Line.

Bike is S1000RR 2010 bayed with original alarm as equipment.

Any suggestion? Why no signal on K-Line?
Can be alarm problem and is he responsible coz no signal on K-Line?

Can I somehow avoid alarm or what to do to get communication with bike?
The !VDS has so many meanings in the BMW electronics. Most think it is Vertical Drop Sensor. While it can point to the VDS, it is usually not the issue. However what is usually the problem you have already addressed it appears. The battery get a dead cell in it. While the battery can show 11.9 volts with a multi-meter, when you actually try to start the bike with the starter you get nothing. Wont turn over. The VDS has no meaning for this battery issue, that is just what BMW decided to put up on the cluster when the battery is not working correctly.

The alarm can be the issue too. Because the alarm is the CAN BUS terminator. If the alarm is not plugged into the connector at the rear of the bike, then you have to have the CAN BUS terminator plug in there. This will cause different issues on the cluster. Some like 17-19 will put a red engine light and show NO CAN on the cluster. Seems I remember seeing !VDS on the 10/11 because of this issue in wiring on the CAN BUS.

If you find the issue is the alarm, I can remove the coding for the alarm system from the ECU. Just be sure you have a terminator plug to put back in there. I have those also if needed.

·
Super Moderator
6,406 Posts
As far as removing the alarm, on the 2010-11-12 I know for sure that you don't need the alarm module or the terminator cap. The system on that version is pretty dumb. The only time it needs it is if you try to update the software, then it looks to see if everything is as originally configured. But for 2017, for sure it's needed, or the traction control goes mental. But this guy's bike is a 2010.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As far as removing the alarm, on the 2010-11-12 I know for sure that you don't need the alarm module or the terminator cap. The system on that version is pretty dumb. The only time it needs it is if you try to update the software, then it looks to see if everything is as originally configured. But for 2017, for sure it's needed, or the traction control goes mental. But this guy's bike is a 2010.

What I need to do to remove alarm? I just need to unplug or?

I got VDS on board..but K-Line not work. It looks that CAN-BUS work between ECU and display..but for diagnostic he use K-Line...and something cut that off

·
Registered
784 Posts
I dropped bike on side.
Bike is S1000RR 2010
I had the same error in my 2011 after crashing it on track.
Remove battery.
Check the IMU unit wireing, it is behind the battery, a box with white cover, one screw on both sides.
Disconnect the IMU unit, install battery, power on off, connect IMU unit.

·
Super Moderator
6,406 Posts
Yes, on the earlier versions you can unplug the alarm and remove it. Sometime after that things changed, and you need either the cap with the resistor or the alarm.

·
Premium Member
1,476 Posts
Did you or who ever the mechanic is make sure the drop sensor is still in the right position, on the right side, and hasn't popped out of the holder or moved to a bad position?
I'd have started there or at least acknowledged it was checked.

On my '10, I got an intermittent !VDS when the wiring harness got scuffed on the down tube. My dealer found out which wire it was and repaired it. Maybe look there.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Here is what is done and still nothing....it is strange:

- Replaced battery
- I was try with working VDS sensor (from 2011 s1000rr)
- I replaced all relays with working relays
- I checked all fusses (even for loose connection)
- I replaced my ECU and Key with my friends working ECU and key (whole system ECU, KEY, LOCK)
- I replaced right Kill switch
- I disconnect connector from alarm and inserted terminator on connector.

I see even if is ECU completely disconnected and removed from bike I can give contact with key and my Instrument Cluster..display...still show VDS error, so it meant that he not read that from ECU he is memorized that in Instrument Cluster or Instrument Cluster read some problem before he even contact ECU.

I don't know if is Instrument Cluster directly connected with Anti Theft Alarm or not but It not allow connection on K-Line.

If you say that it is possible to just unplug alarm then I don't know what is reason so I cant connect on K-Line....It looks that something block electric power to ECU.

It looks that Instrument Cluster check something and don't allow connection on OBD interface.

Just to repeat it is only little slide on right side and with cowl nose I hit parked car with 5km speed....not so hard hit...it is only cowl nose broken..

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
By you having that small crash, it may have just been the catalyst for the issue to present itself.

I suspect there might be something wrong with the CAN-BUS communications between the various modules on the bus. This maybe due to the CAN-BUS wires getting damaged, pinched or maybe even one of the modules finally went faulty. This would explain why the bike just stopped all of a sudden.

If I'm correct, your model has the 10-pin round diagnostics connector, which only has 4 x wires in it? Something like the image below?

Pin #1 (DIAG) <- This pin goes directly to the ECU (pin #34 on the ECU connector) and is entirely separate from the CAN-BUS
Pin #4 (GND) <- This pin is connected to the bikes chassis/ground and is often referred to as Terminal-31
Pin #6 (T30) <- This pin is connected to +12VDC (unswitched) via a fuse (F2) and is often referred to as Terminal-30
Pin #10 (T15) <- This pin is connected to (switched) +12VDC through the ignition switch via fuse (F7) and is often referred to as Terminal-15

If you have a multi-meter, have you checked that +12VDC appears on pin #6 (doesn't matter if the ignition is off or on) and +12VDC on pin #10 (ONLY when the ignition is turned on)?

I'd then test the CAN-BUS wires for any shorts (ground shorts or shorts to each other), by firstly unplugging all the connected CAN-BUS modules; the ABS, angular rate sensor (if fitted), DWA (Alarm), instrument cluster and finally the DME/ECU.

The ignition (EWS) module appears to be connected directly to the DME/ECU and not the CAN-BUS like it is in the later models, so it should be fine to leave connected.

If everything with the CAN-BUS wires checks out OK, just connect the DME/ECU only (leave all the other modules disconnected) and see if the diagnostics tool can communicate to the DME/ECU.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
By you having that small crash, it may have just been the catalyst for the issue to present itself.

I suspect there might be something wrong with the CAN-BUS communications between the various modules on the bus. This maybe due to the CAN-BUS wires getting damaged, pinched or maybe even one of the modules finally went faulty. This would explain why the bike just stopped all of a sudden.

If I'm correct, your model has the 10-pin round diagnostics connector, which only has 4 x wires in it? Something like the image below?

Pin #1 (DIAG) <- This pin goes directly to the ECU (pin #34 on the ECU connector) and is entirely separate from the CAN-BUS
Pin #4 (GND) <- This pin is connected to the bikes chassis/ground and is often referred to as Terminal-31
Pin #6 (T30) <- This pin is connected to +12VDC (unswitched) via a fuse (F2) and is often referred to as Terminal-30
Pin #10 (T15) <- This pin is connected to (switched) +12VDC through the ignition switch via fuse (F7) and is often referred to as Terminal-15

If you have a multi-meter, have you checked that +12VDC appears on pin #6 (doesn't matter if the ignition is off or on) and +12VDC on pin #10 (ONLY when the ignition is turned on)?

I'd then test the CAN-BUS wires for any shorts (ground shorts or shorts to each other), by firstly unplugging all the connected CAN-BUS modules; the ABS, angular rate sensor (if fitted), DWA (Alarm), instrument cluster and finally the DME/ECU.

The ignition (EWS) module appears to be connected directly to the DME/ECU and not the CAN-BUS like it is in the later models, so it should be fine to leave connected.

If everything with the CAN-BUS wires checks out OK, just connect the DME/ECU only (leave all the other modules disconnected) and see if the diagnostics tool can communicate to the DME/ECU.
Where is located "angular rate sensor" is that VDS or?
ABS? Is that White box behind battery?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It is strange that when I disconnect ECU (unit on top of tank, right?) Instrument cluster (display) still show VDS error?

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Where is located "angular rate sensor" is that VDS or?
ABS? Is that White box behind battery?
It is the same module that @speedfinn was talking about:

Check the IMU unit wireing, it is behind the battery, a box with white cover, one screw on both sides.
The ABS unit is the large unit in front of the battery which all the brake lines are connected to. Maybe some photos of these two areas might help, so we can point them out.

It is strange that when I disconnect ECU (unit on top of tank, right?) Instrument cluster (display) still show VDS error?
As @BMW_388 said:

The !VDS has so many meanings in the BMW electronics. Most think it is Vertical Drop Sensor. While it can point to the VDS, it is usually not the issue.
In later models, the instrument cluster shows an !ENGINE warning when it cannot see the ECU. That is why the issue might be pointing to the CAN-BUS communications more than anything else.

With every other CAN-BUS module disconnected (except the DME/ECU/unit on top of the tank). If the CAN-BUS wires are good, the diagnostics tool should be able to communicate with the DME/ECU.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Remove battery.
Disconnect the IMU unit, install battery, power on off, connect IMU unit.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Can you tell me why little red triangle flashing in right top corner of cluster even if I not activate alarm with fob?
I noticed that when I transport bike to dealer and when I take off bike from van it flashing. I then activate/deactivate alarm with fob and he stop to flash.

Is alarm somehow auto-activate even without fob?

Can alarm be a problem so that he cut K-LINE communication?

I insert terminator on alarm connector with some resistor in terminator but it is terminator from S1000RR 2015y, don't know is it same like on terminator from 2010.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Can you tell me why little red triangle flashing in right top corner of cluster even if I not activate alarm with fob?
I noticed that when I transport bike to dealer and when I take off bike from van it flashing. I then activate/deactivate alarm with fob and he stop to flash.

Is alarm somehow auto-activate even without fob?
I don't have the BMW OEM alarm (DWA), so I cannot tell you from first hand knowledge. I believe that the 'auto-arm' feature is the default operation and it maybe a programmable option through the alarm fobs.

Did the alarm manual come with the bike when you purchased it?

Can alarm be a problem so that he cut K-LINE communication?
I would expect the DWA module is not causing the problem with being able to access the ECU via the diagnostics port, especially if the alarm is deactivated with the key fob or ignition is turned on with an authorised key (not unless you have stolen the bike :grin2:).

I insert terminator on alarm connector with some resistor in terminator but it is terminator from S1000RR 2015y, don't know is it same like on terminator from 2010.
If the terminating cap fits and there is a resistor between pin #5 and pin #6, it should be OK.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Finally...dealer solved...they say..all modules are ok..and they fixed some 2 wires in electric installation?...strange coz bike was stopped on riding...how those 2 wires are broken? Some fabric problem? Strange.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts