BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I have a question about registration.

Is it legal (in Florida) to buy a bike (used and from a private seller), not to do registration, use it for a while, and the re sell it?

I’m not thinking in making a profit, but in trying a bike.
If it’s legal, for how long can I keep the bike before re selling it?
What plates should I use?
Would I have to contact the original seller at the time of re selling?

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
44 Posts
As a track bike or road bike?
If a road bike, uh, no. You need to register it in order to get a plate and insurance.

·
Administrator
6,687 Posts
You should be asking your local DMV and/or insurance carrier, their opinions are the ones that matter.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Hi guys, I have a question about registration.

Is it legal (in Florida) to buy a bike (used and from a private seller), not to do registration, use it for a while, and the re sell it?

I’m not thinking in making a profit, but in trying a bike.
If it’s legal, for how long can I keep the bike before re selling it?
What plates should I use?
Would I have to contact the original seller at the time of re selling?

Thanks for any advice.

For road bikes - Legally here in Florida you have 30 days to register a vehicle from the date of purchase (for used vehicles). After that they can slap you with a fine. All you need to do is carry the bill of sale or the title (bill of sale is probably a better option). The Bill of sale needs to have the date you purchased it clearly and not be past 30 days.

I am not sure how much the ticket is but ive heard they can be hefty.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For road bikes - Legally here in Florida you have 30 days to register a vehicle from the date of purchase (for used vehicles). After that they can slap you with a fine. All you need to do is carry the bill of sale or the title (bill of sale is probably a better option). The Bill of sale needs to have the date you purchased it clearly and not be past 30 days.

I am not sure how much the ticket is but ive heard they can be hefty.
Thanks @DJOrlando
Ok, so for 30 days I'm fine carrying the title and/or bill of sale.

What about the license plate? I guess I should ask the seller to let me use his tag.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As a track bike or road bike?
If a road bike, uh, no. You need to register it in order to get a plate and insurance.
It would be a road bike. Insurance is optional here in Florida. The plate is the only concern.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Thanks @DJOrlando
Ok, so for 30 days I'm fine carrying the title and/or bill of sale.

What about the license plate? I guess I should ask the seller to let me use his tag.

You do not need a plate for those 30 days..just the title and bill of sale. After those 30 the Leos might have an issue.

BUT...just to cover everyones ass....call the DMV and confirm. Since you know you are going to buy a bike..register it...tag it...and if you decide to sell..transfer the tag.

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
I don't know Florida law but here is what I think.

First you are asking a few questions - on the first one - unless Florida has temporary tags (even if that is the case you are still going through the registration process) you need to have plates.

Now would I sell a bike to someone and let them ride around on my license plate - no way. Why would they want to keep paying for insurance - not to mention they are now part of any accident you get into.

It's not legal - if the previous owner in fact cancelled the registration - here in MA you need to return the plate to the registry to cancel the registration.

In regard to can you buy the bike and ride around for say a month and if you don't like - sell it to someone else. Again not if the previous owner made the sale to you legally - bill of sale - signed the title over to you - and he/she cancelled their registration.

Once they sign the title over to you - the title for all intents and purposes must be presented to the registry to pay all sales tax and title and registration fees.

Sure if this was done - and for some reason you wanted to get out of the deal and return the bike to the previous owner - and you had not gone to the registry yet - you could give him/her back the title and paperwork and in fact cancel the deal.

Again if you don't register the bike - here in MA it is illegal to ride on a bill of sale - unless you had another registered bike that you traded in towards that bike - so in fact your registration for the bike traded and the bill of sale for the new bike becomes the documents needed to be on your person until you get the new bike registered. You have seven days here in MA.

The only entity if you will that can purchase vehicles and not pay the sales tax - title fee - reg fees and transfer the vehicle to another party is a licensed dealer.

Hope all this clutter helps - I guess in short I would have said no you can't do it legally - at least not here in MA.

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
You do not need a plate for those 30 days..just the title and bill of sale. After those 30 the Leos might have an issue.

BUT...just to cover everyones ass....call the DMV and confirm. Since you know you are going to buy a bike..register it...tag it...and if you decide to sell..transfer the tag.
Well I'm glad I said I didn't know Florida law - MA doesn't let any vehicle on the road under any condition that is not registered and insured. As I said even when trading in - you still have a reg and insurance and proof that the old vehicle is no longer in your possession.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks @BruceV

So, 'open titles' held by privates are not legal? Or they are good as long as you don't ride the bike?

An open title is a title signed by the seller, but left empty on the buyers part.

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
Thanks @BruceV

So, 'open titles' held by privates are not legal? Or they are good as long as you don't ride the bike?

An open title is a title signed by the seller, but left empty on the buyers part.
Many private deals - the seller is willing to not assign the title in fact leaves the buyer section open. It is not legal - but done all the time.

Here's the deal the seller takes all the risk in doing this. You sell the bike to another party - but legally you didn't sell the bike the guy that sold it to you just sold it to the guy you are selling it to.

So if the deal goes bad and you don't take care of it - legally the guy you bought the bike from is on the hook to remedy the problem with the guy you sold it to.

If he is willing to sell the bike to you and give you the title open then sure you can re-sell it without paying any fees or getting plates.

But the way I read Florida law you still need a plate to ride the bike so I don't know how you get around that?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
^^ There is no 'deal', or anything 'wrong' here. I'm just trying to understand what can and can't be done when buying and selling.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You didn't read it well. My OP starts with 'Is it legal to...'? I'm asking, not doing or saying I will do it. Just trying to understand the process.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You should be asking your local DMV and/or insurance carrier, their opinions are the ones that matter.
Yes, they have the last word, obviously, but getting to call them is quite hard, and going there just to ask is a lot of time.

Maybe someone in the forum had the right answer (as @BruceV did), so I could save some time.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
The issue that has not been mentioned is sales tax. The state wants its money so if you never register the bike, no sales tax is paid. The state does not take this kindly. I was recently in the DMV here and someone mentioned that the fine is like $250 for failing to register after the sale.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Still shady and wrong no matter how you look at it.

Florida Statue 319.22 (3)

In the case of a private or casual sale, except for transfers by a surviving spouse as provided by s. 319.28, no title shall be accepted for transfer unless the name of the person who is selling the vehicle is shown as the owner on the face of the title.
And (5)

It is illegal to transfer title to a motor vehicle when the purchaser's name does not appear on the title. Any buyer or seller who knowingly and willfully violates this subsection with intent to commit fraud commits a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.
Penalty: Up to one year in jail and/or fine of up to $1000.

So whether you are doing it with negligent intent or not, it's still illegal.

·
Administrator
7,669 Posts
In CA the state wants the sales tax even for exporting a vehicle! In the case im familiar with it was an offroad ATV purchased in Los Angeles for export to Germany!

The issue that has not been mentioned is sales tax. The state wants its money so if you never register the bike, no sales tax is paid. The state does not take this kindly. I was recently in the DMV here and someone mentioned that the fine is like $250 for failing to register after the sale.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts