BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
I have watched a few youtube videos where they have a camera helmet mounted usually on the chin guard of the helmet and can commentate while recording the ride. Does anyone know what camera they use or is it a separate camera and microphone?

Also, I want a rear-facing one and not sure what to use. Any comments would help a great deal thanks.

Cheers

·
Registered
361 Posts
The most popular chin-mount is the GoPro, currently Hero 8. I use an older Sony FDR-X3000 with very good results. The chin mount gives the important rider view. It obviously shifts with the body/head position.

I have also recently been using a Insta360 One X mounted on the triple-clam behind the windscreen to give a full 360 view. This gets not only the front view (through the windscreen), the instrument dash, side views, me (both head and body), and even some lower body position. Because the rider obstructs, it doesn't get a good rear view except around corners because of body lean and bike angle.

If you want a good rear view, I would recommend such a 360 camera mounted to the rear of the bike. It will provide not only the rear view, but a full rider body position view and everything in between. If you mount this on a stick and extend it laterally (see MaxWrist), you get a view of the full bike from the side as if a drone were flying next to it.

Popular 360 cameras include the Insta360 One X (the one I have), the GoPro Max, and the new (modular) Insta360 One R.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your reply. Yes, I have already seen maxwrist with the stick hanging out the side of the bike and I did wonder how it was done but looks a little vulnerable. Does the camera pick up your voice from outside the helmetso clearly without any microphone attachment?

·
Registered
361 Posts
The built-in camera mics aren't very useful in a motorcycle environment because of wind noise, though my Insta360 One X behind my windscreen isn't totally useless.

All Motovloggers use an in-helmet mic. Some are connected to the chin-mount camera. Others use a separate audio recorder and sync the audio in post. The GoPros are a big pain here because they require a large $50 adapter to connect a mic to the camera. Getting good audio is a challenge - the choice of a good-quality mic, mounting it inside the best part of your particular helmet and getting some wind-insultation (foam, fur).

Audio gets even more difficult when you want to integrate Bluetooth and intercom sources. I still haven't found a good phone app to record my Cardo Packtalk Bluetooth audio stream.

·
Registered
935 Posts
The most popular chin-mount is the GoPro, currently Hero 8. I use an older Sony FDR-X3000 with very good results. The chin mount gives the important rider view. It obviously shifts with the body/head position.

I have also recently been using a Insta360 One X mounted on the triple-clam behind the windscreen to give a full 360 view. This gets not only the front view (through the windscreen), the instrument dash, side views, me (both head and body), and even some lower body position. Because the rider obstructs, it doesn't get a good rear view except around corners because of body lean and bike angle.

If you want a good rear view, I would recommend such a 360 camera mounted to the rear of the bike. It will provide not only the rear view, but a full rider body position view and everything in between. If you mount this on a stick and extend it laterally (see MaxWrist), you get a view of the full bike from the side as if a drone were flying next to it.

Popular 360 cameras include the Insta360 One X (the one I have), the GoPro Max, and the new (modular) Insta360 One R.
hey mate, I'm thinking of getting a One X, have you posted any of your vids on vimeo or youtubes?

·
Registered
361 Posts
I have just been watching this if this helps you?

I like the guy. He produces great content, but I would never mount a 360 cam on the helmet where it loses about 180 degrees of view and doesn't do as well as showing the rider view as a traditional chin-mount action cam. The 360 is a bit of a pain in post production because you need to aim it continually with constant key frames. Regular 30d cams don't have this need nor some of the distortion you have in a 360.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts