BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Saw an article saying it was due to a gradual decline in attendees and the weakening UK economy.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Their prices here in the US are very high... must have been higher in the UK. Must be a way to check and compare.
Might be a casualty of the general decline in motorcycling. Bike sales have been declining for a while. Millennials appear to prefer the relative safety of video games.

I don't agree that US CSS prices are high. In fact, I'm surprised they can provide such top notch instruction on top notch equipment at the price they do. I didn't realize how totally spoiled I was by the CSS experience until I just did a RideSmart track day at COTA on my own RR. While it was a third of the CSS price, I had less than half the track time, and that was continually interrupted by red flags and so I was on cold tires most of the time. I was using my own bike, tires, brakes, gear, trailer, etc. I got approximately zero instruction and even had to pay for a crappy lunch. The experience is worlds apart.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Flyrider got it right (as usual?) a few posts up- the release CSS UK put out specifically cited Brexit and a weak economy for causing the drop in attendance. And unlike CSS in the states, the UK franchise has a lot more competition from outfits in Europe operating from GP tracks, can't escape poor riding weather, and (spitballing a bit) I'd wager their Ducati fleet generated a larger upkeep bill than one for BMWs.

A+ casting blame on millennials, always good for a laugh :D

·
Registered
365 Posts
Flyrider got it right (as usual?) a few posts up- the release CSS UK put out specifically cited Brexit and a weak economy for causing the drop in attendance. And unlike CSS in the states, the UK franchise has a lot more competition from outfits in Europe operating from GP tracks, can't escape poor riding weather, and (spitballing a bit) I'd wager their Ducati fleet generated a larger upkeep bill than one for BMWs.

A+ casting blame on millennials, always good for a laugh :D
Track days/classes in the rain suck; a miserable waste.

Britain clearly loses out on the weather. Even when choosing a CSS venue in the US, I look to the desert tracks (Vegas, Willow Springs) first for this reason.

I just booked a trip with buddies through the Pyrenees (Edelweiss Pyrenees Extreme) in June and the main reason for switching from the Alps Extreme tour (Dolomites) was (likely) weather.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Track days/classes in the rain suck; a miserable waste.

Britain clearly loses out on the weather. Even when choosing a CSS venue in the US, I look to the desert tracks (Vegas, Willow Springs) first for this reason.

I just booked a trip with buddies through the Pyrenees (Edelweiss Pyrenees Extreme) in June and the main reason for switching from the Alps Extreme tour (Dolomites) was (likely) weather.
Dolomites/South Tyrol weather can often be bad indeed. Altho amazing scenery if the weather is right

·
Premium Member
546 Posts
Apparently this happened.

Dylan any more insight on why this happened?
First, the UK Calfornia Superbike School is in business and has dates in the UK and abroad for 2020.

The company we previously licensed to went out of business due to a string of bad luck with weather. It had changed hands a few times with different managers and it only takes a few bad moves in this industry to get buried.

A new company was chosen to continue the school in the UK that is composed of previous long term coaches there with proven successful business experience.

·
Premium Member
546 Posts
Saw an article saying it was due to a gradual decline in attendees and the weakening UK economy.
Their prices here in the US are very high... must have been higher in the UK. Must be a way to check and compare.
On the prices, we often get comments from our students in the USA who are businessmen saying things to the effect of: "I have no idea how you stay in business with how little you charge for your school."

Consider some of the overhead: each school we do has 22 paid staff in attendance (not volunteers). Pay them, feed them, fly them to tracks, hotel rooms, rental cars, etc. Rent a track, two ambulances all day, insurance, maintenance on bikes, transport two 18-wheelers all over the USA complying with all the strict regulations on that, book keeper, two full-time office staff, feed up to 63 students a day, have literally over a ton of spring water always on hand for the students and staff to drink, place to store the bikes, office space, utilities, it goes on.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for update Dylan!

CSS school is great and have done 4 levels in the UK, that helped me to bootstrap my track riding.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I did a class just last year at willow springs. It was by far on of the most informative and in depth teaching/training I’ve been too. If it wasn’t for my company paying for most of the trip (I incorporated a business trip in it too) I would have paid for it myself a lover again. I’m looking to 2020 to train again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts