BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thought I'd post a weight comparison . All wheels weight with discs ,cush drive and sprocket.
HP4 forged wheels F-14.4 R-15.6
BST Carbon wheels F-13 R-13.2
Total savings 3.8 lbs
Cast stock wheels F- 15.8 R-30.2

·
Registered
107 Posts
Thought I'd post a weight comparison . All wheels weight with discs ,cush drive and sprocket.
HP4 forged wheels F-14.4 R-15.6
BST Carbon wheels F-13 R-13.2
Total savings 3.8 lbs
That's just the dead weight saved. The reduction in the rotational inertia would be even more impressive and noticeable.

Do us a favour, let us know how it "feels" compared the the HP4 forged wheels.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Does anyone know how that compares to the stock cast wheels?

Huge change going from stock to Rotobox on my 899, however I can't tell very much apart between those and the HP4 wheels on the RR.

Most of the mass is moved to the hub on both the forged and carbon fiber, so not as noticeable a difference between them compared to cast.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Are those weights with tires. My bst rear wheel weighs 9.75 lbs ready to mount without a tire. The front was around 6.75 without rotors. I weighed the oem wheels, hp4 wheels, and bst wheels. The oem to hp4 wheels was a little over 5 lbs and the hp4 wheels to bst wheels was almost 6 pounds. I weighed them over the winter all on my scale without tires. The bst wheels did have galfer rotors so that may throw it off some

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
Cast wheel/ rotors/ sprocket & Cush Drive assembly weight

Does anyone know how that compares to the stock cast wheels?
Huge change going from stock to Rotobox on my 899, however I can't tell very much apart between those and the HP4 wheels on the RR.
Most of the mass is moved to the hub on both the forged and carbon fiber, so not as noticeable a difference between them compared to cast.
I weighed everything on the USPS scale when I switched from OEM Cast to Titax Forged Aluminum wheels.

Rear wheel with Cush Drive Rubbers,OEM valve stem, bearings, but w/o sprocket, carrier, rotor, ABS wheel, spacers and without tire 13 lbs 3.0 oz
OEM Sprocket/ Carrier/ Spacer 4 lbs 13.10 oz (I saved 2 lbs here with Titax carrier, spacer, and Driven Hard Anodized 45 tooth same 525 pitch as OEM)
Rear ABS ring 2 oz
Rear rotor 1 lb 11 oz
Front wheel with OEM Valve stem, bearings, otherwise bare no rotors, ABS wheel, tire or spacers 9 lbs 14.2 oz
I did not weigh the front rotors, ABS wheel, etc, because they were reused on the front Titax, the components on the rear I weighed because they were swapped out to essentially Aprilia RSV4 Factory bolt pattern stuff. Don't ask me why they didn't do the same for the front or vice versa, don't care, I think they look bitchin' and I saved a bit over 9 lbs.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are those weights with tires. My bst rear wheel weighs 9.75 lbs ready to mount without a tire. The front was around 6.75 without rotors. I weighed the oem wheels, hp4 wheels, and bst wheels. The oem to hp4 wheels was a little over 5 lbs and the hp4 wheels to bst wheels was almost 6 pounds. I weighed them over the winter all on my scale without tires. The bst wheels did have galfer rotors so that may throw it off some

No tires but everything else

·
Registered
94 Posts
After the release of HP4 Race I think we can also order Carbon Wheels from BMW. Will they fit to 15-16 S1000RR?

I'm planning to buy BST wheels but they use a different sprocket and I'm not sure if OEM rear brake rotor will fit on BST :frown2: Rims came with front rotor adapter for OEM brake rotors but as long as I understand rest of the parts must be replaced which is the main problem for me. In the future I'll be limited to specific brand of sprockets and rotors which causes me to withheld this purchase :crying:

If HP4 Race Carbon Wheels would fit with all OEM parts that would be a better alternative if the price won't be insane (but I think BMW will sell them at least double the price of a BST set).

·
Registered
210 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
You can order bst for the 2015-2016 bikes or for the hp4 and then all of you parts outside of the sprocket will be a direct fit over

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
At least sensors and rotors have been saved that's something :laugh:

You won't be ordering carbon rims for the standard RR I can tell you that.
I also have the same thinking but just to be sure it's better to wait for it before ordering BSTs :grin2:

·
Administrator
6,686 Posts
The OEM rear rotor and ABS ring fit the BST wheels. The rear sprocket is a Kawi pattern, so there's lots of choices. Like Pimped said, if you order the 2010-14 BST wheels, your cast wheel front rotors and ABS ring will fit. If you already have forged wheels, order the newer BSTs.

·
Registered
94 Posts
The OEM rear rotor and ABS ring fit the BST wheels. The rear sprocket is a Kawi pattern, so there's lots of choices. Like Pimped said, if you order the 2010-14 BST wheels, your cast wheel front rotors and ABS ring will fit. If you already have forged wheels, order the newer BSTs.
I didn't bought the bike with forged wheels since I was going to purchase carbon fiber wheels with ceramic bearings. So I need to order 2010-14 BSTs :surprise: Is there any improvements or design changes on the new BST models for the 15- ?

And thanks for the info :D I'll select the sprocket according to my preferences than :D Which exact Kawi model is it?

·
Administrator
6,686 Posts
No improvements, the same front wheel but with provisions to mount the forged wheel style rotors directly. Rear is the same. The sprocket pattern is ZX10 Kawi I think, you can find out if you look carefully at Brock's site. Sprocket Dimensions: 5 (10mm holes) with a PCD (Pitch Circle Diameter) of 100mm and a sprocket ID of 76mm.

·
Vendor
3,435 Posts
BST's are nice wheels, but personally I think the thin spoke design is starting to get a little dated. They look like the older Yamaha wheels to me.

I think Rotobox with the new Boost model has gotten a lot more attractive, and even the hated RBX2 look much much nicer in person than pictures.

https://www.motomillion.com/collections/bmw-s1000rr/products/rotobox-boost-carbon-fiber-wheel-set-for-bmw-s1000rr-s1000r-hp4

Weight comparison:

Rotobox Boost wheels: 12.4lbs
Factory S1000RR Cast wheels: 25.5 lbs

·
Vendor
3,435 Posts
After the release of HP4 Race I think we can also order Carbon Wheels from BMW. Will they fit to 15-16 S1000RR?

I'm planning to buy BST wheels but they use a different sprocket and I'm not sure if OEM rear brake rotor will fit on BST :frown2: Rims came with front rotor adapter for OEM brake rotors but as long as I understand rest of the parts must be replaced which is the main problem for me. In the future I'll be limited to specific brand of sprockets and rotors which causes me to withheld this purchase :crying:

If HP4 Race Carbon Wheels would fit with all OEM parts that would be a better alternative if the price won't be insane (but I think BMW will sell them at least double the price of a BST set).
Do you currently have forged wheels? I'm not sure what adapter you are speaking of for rotors.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts