BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How many of you riders have had broken Clutch Cable Return Springs?
Part # 21528523464

I've been through two now in 22K miles.

The first one was replaced by the dealer for free at my 600 mile service back in 2010. The tech claimed he must have broke it.

Now I've found it broken again.

I can't tell the difference, but it bugs me that it is so fragile.
It breaks at the 90 degree angle that goes in the hole on the side of the unit.

WTF?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Same deal on my 2011. Clutch still works fine without it, it was only when I was detailing my bike that I even noticed it. Going to call the dealer during the week and ask them to replace it (bike still has warranty.)

BTW There isn't a hole for the spring to go in, it holds on the front of the tab. The point where you've got an arrow pointing to looks like a mark or scratch.

·
Premium Member
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Same deal on my 2011. Clutch still works fine without it, it was only when I was detailing my bike that I even noticed it. Going to call the dealer during the week and ask them to replace it (bike still has warranty.)

BTW There isn't a hole for the spring to go in, it holds on the front of the tab. The point where you've got an arrow pointing to looks like a mark or scratch.
Thanks. I'm sure you are right. The marks are probably from the same U-shaped bend in the spring that's on the upper side.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Yup, I saw that mine was broken after I got home from a yearly service.
I ALWAYS check my bikes and cars after bringing them home from any
kind of service work. Saw that the return spring on the clutch was broken.
This was after about 7,000 miles. Replaced under warranty.

·
Vendor
2,732 Posts
anyone know its function?
It is to maintain pull slightly on the pull rod against the bearing, even if you have slack in your cable at the lever adjustment point. Some people like me.. do not use BMW spec on the cable adjustment point. BMW spec is just too loose for me. However, with their spec, the cable slack is enough that if the spring was not on the actuator arm on the cover, it would slightly release the bearing inside the clutch cover. This would cause chatter and premature wear.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts