BMW S1000RR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
22' S1000RR
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!

Just trying to gather some opinions and do my homework before moving forward with anything. ( I'm not one to work on my own bike If that says anything )

I currently have a 22' S1000rr with a SC Project Slip on Exhaust
Was looking into a Tune with a local company that works with the S1000's pretty often.

Loving the way it sounds and pops during deceleration.
However a few questions..

1) Shop wanted me to remove cats, as I described how I like the popping sound, and wanted to accentuate it and make it happen more often.. ( They will not perform the removal themselves )..
Can the Cats be removed easily without welding and chopping away at exhaust system? And can it be put back in easily, before warranty work if a problem ever occured?

1-½) Is it simple as just removing Cats,
Or o2 sensors and much more to go along with it?

2) I will find out what kind of Tuning will be performed on my bike,
He mentioned something about saving a 'map' on his computer to restore tune before warranty work if needed...
Does Tuning always void warranty?
It would make sense that yes, it does.

3) Is it possible when removing Cats & after tune, can my bike possibly shoot any type of flames out of a Slip on Exhaust?
Or does it have to be a full exhaust system?

4) Does Brentune have a tune specifically for what I'm looking for? It looks like it does the opposite and lean out fuel to remove popping.. ( I understand it maybe should not be happening as much to run smoother )

Sorry for all the dumb questions.
Just not mechanically inclined myself, so wanted input.

Thank you very much in advance for the feedback!

· Registered
22' S1000RR
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm sure out of 300+ views
One person could have chimed in.

Just not knowledgeable about this type of stuff.
I'll wait for "the one" to come along, and help a brother out :cool::p:cry:

· Vendor
5,239 Posts
Why dont you just email to BT support and see what result of answers you get from that.

All the 'person' you talk to so far is doing is getting a BT handheld and pushing you that direction. I no longer offer the handhelds, I only do direct ECU programming so its not me he is talking to.

Reactions: Srrkush

· Registered
22' S1000RR
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very true.
Just wasn't sure if anybody can help answer who has first hand knowledge.

If you don't mind me asking,
What is the difference between direct ECU programming vs a handheld tuner?

Thanks for reaching back out! I appreciate it more than you know.

· Registered
452 Posts
Very true.
Just wasn't sure if anybody can help answer who has first hand knowledge.

If you don't mind me asking,
What is the difference between direct ECU programming vs a handheld tuner?

Thanks for reaching back out! I appreciate it more than you know.
Direct ECU programming means you have to remove your ECU and ship it to him. He'll then program the ECU and ship it back. Handheld tuner is just that. A handheld programmer that connects to the OBD2 port and does the programming through that.

· Registered
22' S1000RR
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a full exhaust and bren tune and have noticed that when flashing the bike back to stock it pops flames. With the stage 1 bren tune on it doesn't as much. Maybe they have a tune to help encourage the pops but I haven't inquired.
That's pretty neat!
I originally Inquired about this before I moved forward with a purchase of my full Akra titanium exhaust.

Unfortunately still not tuned yet.
(I have inquired about specific tuning to keep the backfire) BT does not create other maps/tunes for people who have specific needs...

I've been going back and forth with the idea. Just really don't want to lose my warranty I guess.
I've already had the bike in the shop four different times so far for warranty work.

Thankfully running no tune, the exhaust with the popping on deceleration is incredible and has nice flames majority of the time. Probably not the most healthy I can imagine. But looks awesome nonetheless. 😁

· Registered
1,544 Posts
That's pretty neat!
I originally Inquired about this before I moved forward with a purchase of my full Akra titanium exhaust.

(I have inquired about specific tuning to keep the backfire) BT does not create other maps/tunes for people who have specific needs...

I've been going back and forth with the idea. Just really don't want to lose my warranty I guess.
I've already had the bike in the shop four different times so far for warranty work.

Thankfully running no tune, the exhaust with the popping on deceleration is incredible and has nice flames majority of the time. Probably not the most healthy I can imagine. But looks awesome nonetheless. 😁
Waranty? BMW could void the warranty for the full exhaust. I would not worry about the warranty and my Stage 1 Bren tune has plenty of pops, crackles and backfire. For me it gets annoying, its to much.

· Registered
316 Posts
That's pretty neat!

How do you like the bike w/the headers/exhaust + stock tune?

Tune options are ECU, Handheld, BMW TO.

· Registered
452 Posts
Waranty? BMW could void the warranty for the full exhaust. I would not worry about the warranty and my Stage 1 Bren tune has plenty of pops, crackles and backfire. For me it gets annoying, its to much.
Yes, BMW could harass you about having a full exhaust. But they would have to be pretty specific as to why an exhaust would cause issues say with your quick shifter. The modified part has to relate to the failure. I've spoken to my BMW dealer which is a BMW only dealer and doesn't sell any other brands; except when used. My contact there was very specific as to going to bat for me if there were any problems with warranty work on anything unrelated to the modification. But yes, in the end, it's up to BMW as to whether they will cover any repairs.

I had my bike in the shop with the optional Akra headers a couple of months ago. It was originally in for the timing chain tensioner recall which expanded to a failed oil/water pump. I watched the tech take pictures of my bike which undoubtedly is part of the warranty procedures to be on file with my bike. So BMW knows I have a modified exhaust. They covered the entire repair for the oil/water pump to even include new exhaust manifold gaskets.

The issue I have with putting a tune on my bike outside of other things I've yet to get some good clarity on is that the tune touches so much of the bike; meaning pretty much anything electronic. I don't want the headaches of finger pointing. From the car side, I felt comfortable having a Dinan tune put into my 135i because of Dinan's long established reputation along with their spelled out warranty terms. If BMW has an issue with their tune, Dinan will step in. I saw one documented case on the forums that Dinan did just that. We don't have this with any of the tunes available for this bike. I really wish BMW would release something similar to the PPK that was available for the N54/N55 engines of which I did have the PPK2 installed in my 135i. Factory sanctioned step up tune that would still carry the factory warranty. The other issue I have is if I needed to have a firmware update done on my bike, I would have to pay BT to get my DME reflashed or have to reship my DME to BMW_388.

Right now, my bike is running fine with the stock tune and a full exhaust so I don't see a need to screw around with any potential issues while my bike is still under warranty.

ETA: I just realized after some thought that the factory TO tune is the factory sanctioned "PPK". Really wished it didn't kill top end HP on the bike too. The PPK didn't affect HP. It added 20 HP and 17 lb ft to my DCT equipped 135i.

· Registered
1,544 Posts
Yes, BMW could harass you about having a full exhaust. But they would have to be pretty specific as to why an exhaust would cause issues say with your quick shifter. The modified part has to relate to the failure. I've spoken to my BMW dealer which is a BMW only dealer and doesn't sell any other brands; except when used. My contact there was very specific as to going to bat for me if there were any problems with warranty work on anything unrelated to the modification. But yes, in the end, it's up to BMW as to whether they will cover any repairs.

I had my bike in the shop with the optional Akra headers a couple of months ago. It was originally in for the timing chain tensioner recall which expanded to a failed oil/water pump. I watched the tech take pictures of my bike which undoubtedly is part of the warranty procedures to be on file with my bike. So BMW knows I have a modified exhaust. They covered the entire repair for the oil/water pump to even include new exhaust manifold gaskets.

The issue I have with putting a tune on my bike outside of other things I've yet to get some good clarity on is that the tune touches so much of the bike; meaning pretty much anything electronic. I don't want the headaches of finger pointing. From the car side, I felt comfortable having a Dinan tune put into my 135i because of Dinan's long established reputation along with their spelled out warranty terms. If BMW has an issue with their tune, Dinan will step in. I saw one documented case on the forums that Dinan did just that. We don't have this with any of the tunes available for this bike. I really wish BMW would release something similar to the PPK that was available for the N54/N55 engines of which I did have the PPK2 installed in my 135i. Factory sanctioned step up tune that would still carry the factory warranty. The other issue I have is if I needed to have a firmware update done on my bike, I would have to pay BT to get my DME reflashed or have to reship my DME to BMW_388.

Right now, my bike is running fine with the stock tune and a full exhaust so I don't see a need to screw around with any potential issues while my bike is still under warranty.

ETA: I just realized after some thought that the factory TO tune is the factory sanctioned "PPK". Really wished it didn't kill top end HP on the bike too. The PPK didn't affect HP. It added 20 HP and 17 lb ft to my DCT equipped 135i.
This bike is crap from 6k rpm to 8k rpm in stock form, which is huge for me riding on the street. If you are happy with it, Im happy for you.

· Registered
316 Posts
This bike is crap from 6k rpm to 8k rpm in stock form, which is huge for me riding on the street. If you are happy with it, Im happy for you.
When is the "flat spot" an issue? Based on what I have read it is 2 & 3 gears 6K-8K?

Is it only a problem when winding out 2nd and/or 3rd?

Wouldn't short-shifting past the gears and RPMs resolve the issue? or that only fixes accelerating and not corner exits?

· Registered
452 Posts
Yep. So far I haven't had any issues with how my bike is performing on the street compared to when I used the TO tune at the track on the CSS bikes. If I track my bike, I might feel differently.

But this thread isn't about the flat spot. It's about the specter of having a warranty issue if something comes up. The OP doesn't seem to be complaining about the flat spot. Only wants to ensure the exhaust pops are still there/preserved. From what I can tell, he's being fed the generic line that you need a tune without him discovering a problem. So the problem a tune is supposed to fix is being manufactured into his head without there being an actual one.

· Registered
1,544 Posts
Yep. So far I haven't had any issues with how my bike is performing on the street compared to when I used the TO tune at the track on the CSS bikes. If I track my bike, I might feel differently.

But this thread isn't about the flat spot. It's about the specter of having a warranty issue if something comes up. The OP doesn't seem to be complaining about the flat spot. Only wants to ensure the exhaust pops are still there/preserved. From what I can tell, he's being fed the generic line that you need a tune without him discovering a problem. So the problem a tune is supposed to fix is being manufactured into his head without there being an actual one.
As I said if BMW wants to they can void the warranty as easy with exhaust as they could a tune! I was even told that by one dealer I went to, they said "Put exhaust on and warranty is VOID". Also as I said the pops , crackles and backfire is still there with the tune! Dealer I use now just tells me to put stock tune back in when bringing it in when it needs to have software update done!
Ride more, worry less

· Registered
452 Posts
As I said if BMW wants to they can void the warranty as easy with exhaust as they could a tune! I was even told that by one dealer I went to, they said "Put exhaust on and warranty is VOID". Also as I said the pops , crackles and backfire is still there with the tune! Dealer I use now just tells me to put stock tune back in when bringing it in when it needs to have software update done!
Ride more, worry less
And I said the same thing. But putting the stock tune back into the DME is not a guarantee you're good. As has been indicated BMW can tell you've had a tune put into the DME at some point. This has been born out by various threads over on Bimmerpost with the auto side of things. Do you think they wouldn't have that capability on the Motorrad side?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts