BMW S1000RR Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello fellow forum users, today I wanted to share my experience with Brentuning.

After multiple opinions and recommendations I finally decided to pull the trigger and go for the stage 3 tune for my 2019 (k46) s1krr. Throughout the whole process the guys at brentuning were very responsive with all the questions that I had, up until recently. Just out of curiosity I went ahead and put the bike on the dyno, first with the tune and after the stock map, both on 93 pump gas. Bren say that their tune increases anywhere from 6-10 HP. Unfortunately that's not the case with my bike, I've uploaded the dyno graphs and the HP is practically IDENTICAL (bike pushed 193HP both on stock and flashed) other than the disappointment in the power delivery, Im also having problems with RPM bounce (on take off specifically) at almost every stop sign and traffic lights I have to rev the bike high so it's not stalling on me (which had happened multiple times already and it's not a very safe thing to happen on the streets) Plus, for some reason the warning (!) light starts to blink when I'm on high rpms and going over 150+, I messaged them multiple times about it and explained the whole situation to them, they started to say that the dyno might be setup incorrectly, that the guy that ran the dyno didn't run it enough times, among other things, I'm sad that things didn't go as I expected, at this point I am just messaging them to try and fix the RPM bounce issue, so far no response(2 days). I even sent them all the dyno WP8 files so they can recheck and try to fix the problem...Eventually I think I will be returning the whole thing and going back to stock because I didn't pay over $1k for the fans to turn on early and a better throttle response.:( I am not sure if the people that swear by their bretune flash actually went ahead and measured the power difference or it's just a placebo. Opinions? Suggestions?

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Well Covid has played havoc with some businesses. Some are not working with all their staff. Who did the flash? Did you use a handheld or send them the ECU?

Hopefully they get this sorted out for you. If not there is another vendor on this site that knows a lot about the K46.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I wouldnt be surprised if they sent the wrong file. Im sure they will get to the bottom of this.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe they can reexamine the file they sent you. Were there any errors or hang-ups when you did the flash?
Non at all, everything went smooth, at first I wanted to bring them the bike personally so they do everything there and properly dyno the bike but they said they can’t do it because my midpipe doesn’t have the bung? I mean I guess the don’t have a sniffer...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
205 Posts
If they sent you the wrong file, they shouldn't be in business, lol. Hope they did not, because they could have blown your engine...

I am very sceptical of their tune. I asked some questions about their tune/handheld when they first introduced it here for 2020. I wasn't really pleased with them...i don't understand some people that but these blindly.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If they sent you the wrong file, they shouldn't be in business, lol. Hope they did not, because they could have blown your engine...

I am very sceptical of their tune. I asked some questions about their tune/handheld when they first introduced it here for 2020. I wasn't really pleased with them...i don't understand some people that but these blindly.
Yeah I have a friend that blew his 2018 engine (not sure if it was because of the tune) I’m trying to work things out but they’ve been kinda slow with the whole situation and I’m running out of patience, I think I’m just going to end up returning it :/

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hmmmm. I bought the handheld. Felt something wasnt right. Took it to his shop. 10 hour drive each way. They baseline dynoed it, made adjustments, took it for a test ride, then gave it back. 93 and MR12. Super professional. Pleasure to work with. I had to pay extra, but seeing you just bought the tune they should take care of you. I see you are in NJ. Should be super close for you. I'd say try talking to them again. BTW mine had no bung either. Stock decatted headers. Good luck brother. I think I spoke with Chris setting up my appointment.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I would definitely visit them with the bike since they are not far. Use their dyno so you know that it’s setup right. They could do a full real tune on your bike which would probably be much better then a “shelf flash”. I’m definitely happy with my flash I got on my k67 but would love to get a full real tune done by them at some point. Let us know how you make out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I decided to just return the device, tried to work things out with them but I’m tired of the million emails, I can’t even call them because they don’t want to be bothered with questions. I’ll just go back to stock and stay happy with it, it’s stupid fast anyway but personally I would not recommend Brentuning.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'll just add an opinion take it for what it is an opinion, every bike I have owned that was EFI has been dyno tuned because it's the only way to know the tune you receive is 99.9% correct for your bike as there will be differences between bikes & loading a yumcha tune just isn't complete peace of mind. On saying that a tune isn't really about extra hp, it's about operating the engine as best as possible over the complete rev range, so throttle response is everything way more important than seeing a few more hp. Unfortunately because we are individuals we differ on what we think is important, so my only question would be does the bike with your seat dyno feel better to ride & with the hunting rpm I would say not. I personally would never pay big money for a tune that wasn't real time on a dyno because any other way has allot of guess work.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Contacted them to go and properly dyno the bike and do all the mods in house, the guy told me he needs the bike for a whole week and since I don't have the bung on the midpipe that it wasn't possible to do the dyno tuning. Anyway, shipping it back as we speak. Maybe in the future I'll try another company.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I would love to know Brens version of your story. Something is sketchy here. Everyone is giving you solid advice. And you just dismiss it. It costs $$$ to have a top notch setup. Most of what you claim is not what I experienced.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I would love to know Brens version of your story. Something is sketchy here. Everyone is giving you solid advice. And you just dismiss it. It costs $$$ to have a top notch setup. Most of what you claim is not what I experienced.
They claim that the dyno didn’t provide the correct numbers, and I sent them all the files they asked for, the only thing I was asking them to do at the end is to fix the rpm bounce and they said that “nothing is wrong with the bike nor the power delivery” so I just decided to return my device. Brentuning is a vendor that’s in here so I hope they step in and tell their side of the story, would be an interesting read for me as well to see what they’ll say this time.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Plus when you spend that kind of money idk about you but I expect my riding experience to improve overall and not the opposite, as mentioned, the rpm bounce was the main issue and annoyance I had at every stop sign, and of course the lack of the 8-10hp gain that they claim everywhere on their website, plus other minor things. To each their own, I’m glad that it worked out great for you, but it didn’t meet my expectations. Would be interesting to see the before and after graphs of multiple people with a similar setup as mine. But I guess not many people actually go and dyno their bikes after the flash.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.