BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my files from Brentuning. Email states I need to load file 000 onto the handheld and bike before loading the 001 file. Going to get them loaded tonight. I'll post here with my thoughts after loading the tunes and riding.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I don't know if this is the right place for handheld support, but I am a bit confused and stuck in the process of getting the current ECU state from my 2020RR. I obviously don't want to screw anything up and brick my ECU, so here is what has been done thus far:

Downloaded/Installed MyGeniusClient software, updated it, ran it, connected the handheld via USB, updated all firmware.

Took handheld to the bike, connected it to the OBD2 port (after snipping zip-tie),
1. Turned on ignition/dashboard
2. Pressed Work and Select on handheld
3. See BMW Motorrad displayed and press Select on it
4. Selected S Series and pressed Select
5. See long list of S series models (R, RR, XR) with 4-5 RR in it. I pick the last RR, which appears to be the latest (it says 204HP and others are less) and press Select.
6. Select OK on all prompts to attach stabilizing power to battery – I have a new battery and don’t want to my seat unscrewed, battery charger out and hooked up.
7. Turn on dashboard and Select OK.
8. Switch off dashboard
9. Continue Select
10. Switch on dashboard and Select OK
11. Switch off dashboard to continue. Select OK
12. Shows Protocol Identify. Select OK
13. (Now unclear whether anything has been done)
14. Start MyGeniusClient and USB hook it to handheld. Try to press Download, but it says the device is not in a state that allows the operation

The instructions are incomplete and there isn't a good video that shows the entire process. The one I found already had a previous flash installed and was installing over it with a file already in the handheld. I am obviously not there yet.

Help! I'm being cautious instead of experimental for obvious reasons.

·
Super Moderator
9,640 Posts
I don't know if this is the right place for handheld support, but I am a bit confused and stuck in the process of getting the current ECU state from my 2020RR. I obviously don't want to screw anything up and brick my ECU, so here is what has been done thus far:

Downloaded/Installed MyGeniusClient software, updated it, ran it, connected the handheld via USB, updated all firmware.

Took handheld to the bike, connected it to the OBD2 port (after snipping zip-tie),
5. See long list of S series models (R, RR, XR) with 4-5 RR in it. I pick the last RR, which appears to be the latest (it says 204HP and others are less) and press Select.
6. Select OK on all prompts to attach stabilizing power to battery – I have a new battery and don’t want to my seat unscrewed, battery charger out and hooked up.
8. Switch off dashboard
9. Continue Select
14. Start MyGeniusClient and USB hook it to handheld. Try to press Download, but it says the device is not in a state that allows the operation

The instructions are incomplete and there isn't a good video that shows the entire process. The one I found already had a previous flash installed and was installing over it with a file already in the handheld. I am obviously not there yet.

If this is a Bren tune, you should contact them directly to get support.

·
Super Moderator
9,640 Posts
I appreciate the offer, but I don’t need any help. I have a 2014 HP4 that runs just fine. I don’t need to flash my bike.

·
Registered
146 Posts

8. Switch off dashboard
9. Continue Select

PM me if you still need help!

·
Super Moderator
6,406 Posts
I meant why would you ask someone else for help when you can get information directly from the vendor? Like asking your neighbour for tire pressures when you get home with new tires. I can understand that people are so anxious that they would rather brick an ECU that wait a couple of hours to get Bren to respond. The guy is on email at least 18 hours a day to help people out, give him a chance.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Just tried brens stage 1 for the first time. Its so fast! Grinning from ear to ear. I notice the fan goes on sooner than before and keeps the bike running cool. It was around 74 deg today and i didnt hit 200 temp. I know it was a cool day so ill monitor it more. Quickshifter was smoother also. Cold start is also better. No sputtering of any sort. Before it would sputter slightly but would correct itself. This time, nothing whatsoever. The power... wow. Love it! Transition from 1st and 2nd gear at redline almost made me shii my pants lol. I def need to get used to it again. 2nd to 3rd and so forth is a lot better. Will do further testing when there are not much cars on the road.

For those who are still contemplating on a bren tune, Do It! Bike should have came like this from factory. I feel like i purchased another bike. That excitement and all.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Early fan on means more stress (shortens lifespan) on electrical components; battery, rectifier, fan itself, without need. If BMW engineers, and all other manufacturers run the fan on on the similar specs, I certainly would not change just because of the hype.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Early fan on means more stress (shortens lifespan) on electrical components; battery, rectifier, fan itself, without need. If BMW engineers, and all other manufacturers run the fan on on the similar specs, I certainly would not change just because of the hype.
The majority of manufactures that run the temp so high, are doin it for emissions, not for performance, or livelihood of the fan..

·
Registered
266 Posts
I meant why would you ask someone else for help when you can get information directly from the vendor? Like asking your neighbour for tire pressures when you get home with new tires. I can understand that people are so anxious that they would rather brick an ECU that wait a couple of hours to get Bren to respond. The guy is on email at least 18 hours a day to help people out, give him a chance.
Bren didn't respond to Friday's email. They seem out for the long weekend, but I did get some help from others here that got me over the hump. I've now extracted and emailed the stock tune file. I hope to get the tune file in the next day or two from Bren.

They really need some doc on their handheld. It comes only with a link to the MyGeniusClient software download/install. There was nothing specific to Brentuning in the package. I got a bit of doc from a facebook forum, but that was incomplete and got me to the point where I got stuck. They should have a YouTube that shows in detail on how to do the whole process on a completely stock 2020 RR. I found one YouTube, but it began with already having the new tune flash file in the handheld device.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts