BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently upgraded from the "M+" mapping to Stage 1 mapping. The bike definitely runs stronger and smoother from the bottom to the top of the rev range. The quick shifter/blipper is also noticeably smoother EXCEPT when blipping from 3rd down to 2nd gear the rev-matching is abrupt and has a tendency to upset the chassis. However, my biggest gripe about the flash upgrade is the changes made to the throttle valve/ engine brake settings. Basically, all the engine braking has been eliminated in all settings (at least that's how it feels to me) and the throttle seems to remain open for an instance even after I've closed it completely. I don't like it and it feels dangerous. I like a lot of engine braking in the canyons and I don't know if i can live with such little engine braking (even when set to level 3/ highest). I could be mistaken but I didn't see any mention of adjusted engine braking in the brochure.

Has anyone experienced these changes? I'm going to call them and get a better explanation before I go fully in on this latest tune.

·
Registered
2016 S1000RR
35 Posts
Do you own a GS911? It is useful to use after newly flashing your bike, it sounds like it would solve all the issues you listed.

·
Registered
2016 S1000RR
35 Posts
With a GS911 you can reset your adaptations like the throttle valve and quickshifter that are causing you trouble. A possible solution for engine breaking would be a lower mode for when you want it to be more aggressive.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, did you get any answers?
Some... They were able to correct the issue with the autoblipper when downshifting from 3rd to second and the fly by wire throttle valves from remaining open after shutting the throttle at the grip. However, he seems to be stuck in regards to correcting the engine brake(or lack thereof) settings. The is no discernable change in engine brake levels when switching between levels 1-3. Any level I select behaves like level 1 (least amount). The bike just freewheels like a 2 stroke. To make matters worst the little engine braking it does have seems to cut on and off like a light switch as the bike decels from the top of the rev range. It's really distracting especially in traffic.

We've been going back and forth via email. I'm frustrated because I think this needs to be discussed over the phone to avoid further confusion. I've tried to call them several times, left messages asking to be called back, I've even emailed them asking them to call me to further discuss the situation to no avail. At the moment I've been waiting more than a day for someone to reply or call me back. The last response I got was from them offering to refund my money for the upgrade and return me to the M+ stage tune. Performance-wise the bike runs so much stronger with the stage 1 tune it's hard to give up. The M+ was basically a stock map without the annoying flat spot in the mid-range. The stage 1 map is pure power from top to bottom.

My hope is something is just slightly out of wack and causing the hang-up with EB settings. Like an overlooked update or something silly. I'll post again once they've made contact again.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Glad its getting worked out. Yeah, I hear you about the phone thing, Ive called numerous times and never get anyone. Very annoying to say the least, especially when you were trying to purchase something.

·
Registered
2021 s1000rr
170 Posts
Fwiw I definitely feel the lack of engine braking. It's not like it was. Before coasting in gear to a stop you could really feel the shift cam. Now I can't. I have almost no complaints with my stage 1. Other than the intake flappers not being commanded open 100% of the time. Without the relocation of the IAT. It's a bloody well strong bike with the tune. Surprisingly so. But you know that, good luck with the issues you're experiencing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts