BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does Anyone know or have experience with the Brembo T-drive rotors (Brembo Part Number 208A98553)?

thx
R

·
Vendor
2,321 Posts
Does Anyone know or have experience with the Brembo T-drive rotors (Brembo Part Number 208A98553)?

thx
R
I had them on a GSXR. They seem to work fine. They are a full floater rotor so you will get some rattle once in a while going really slow speed in bumpy parking lots.

I have the BrakeTech rotors on my S1000RR. I have the Axis Iron for the race track and the Cobra SS for the street. Love them both. Being a full floater again, at really slow speeds on bumpy surface you get a rattle once in a while.

The selling point for me on rotors was to have 6mm rotors. I am really hard on brakes. I have the GP4 RX calipers and bite point is exactly the same cold or hot. I wanted the 6mm rotors for the better heat dissipation. I have about 15000 miles on my Cobra SS and they show hardly any wear and perform the same as new.

Axis Iron Rotors when they were brand new

This is the Axis Iron when I still had the HP4 calipers

Cobra SS Rotors

·
Vendor
1,207 Posts
How are these holding up?
I had them on a GSXR. They seem to work fine. They are a full floater rotor so you will get some rattle once in a while going really slow speed in bumpy parking lots.

I have the BrakeTech rotors on my S1000RR. I have the Axis Iron for the race track and the Cobra SS for the street. Love them both. Being a full floater again, at really slow speeds on bumpy surface you get a rattle once in a while.

The selling point for me on rotors was to have 6mm rotors. I am really hard on brakes. I have the GP4 RX calipers and bite point is exactly the same cold or hot. I wanted the 6mm rotors for the better heat dissipation. I have about 15000 miles on my Cobra SS and they show hardly any wear and perform the same as new.

·
Super Moderator
6,483 Posts
Not to barge in here with a sales pitch, but I have an almost new set of "Braking" wave rotors that were too grabby for Vickie. They fit cast wheels, $300 plus ship if anyone wants to give them a go.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts

I have the BrakeTech rotors on my S1000RR.
I had to put Brembo's (not T-drive) on my old '01 Gixxer 1K when the stock ones lost a bunch of the wavy-washers under the semi-floating buttons. I loved the disks. I've seen those BrakeTech disks before, and I really like the theory/geometry behind what they're doing with the flat surfaces taking the load instead of the buttons. Same reason I like the T-slot Brembo's. How do you think they compare, if you could compare them directly?

I might still lean towards the Brembo's because I'm used to the name, I've used/loved them before, and they seem to be used by more people/race teams. If I can afford it some day, I'd probably get them, those new calipers you have, and a Brembo M/C...

But I'd be curious to see your opinions directly comparing them (feel, feedback, fade resistance, friction, etc.), so, if you would, I'd be much obliged! :)

·
Vendor
2,321 Posts
I had to put Brembo's (not T-drive) on my old '01 Gixxer 1K when the stock ones lost a bunch of the wavy-washers under the semi-floating buttons. I loved the disks. I've seen those BrakeTech disks before, and I really like the theory/geometry behind what they're doing with the flat surfaces taking the load instead of the buttons. Same reason I like the T-slot Brembo's. How do you think they compare, if you could compare them directly?

I might still lean towards the Brembo's because I'm used to the name, I've used/loved them before, and they seem to be used by more people/race teams. If I can afford it some day, I'd probably get them, those new calipers you have, and a Brembo M/C...

But I'd be curious to see your opinions directly comparing them (feel, feedback, fade resistance, friction, etc.), so, if you would, I'd be much obliged! :)
@M GmbH also ...

I love the BrakeTechs. I have had many types of rotors.. WSBK BatWing, Grafler, Brembo this Brembo that, alot..

So the T slots rattled. At low speed type parking lot , or pit area, the T slots moved and I could hear the rattle. Its like they fell forward alot when moving slowly forward.

The BrakeTechs, they rattle once in a while, but you can tell it is a left right shake between the pads. Again, only parking lot, or pit area moving around.

Performance rules. The braketech Axis Iron are flawless. I have put so many laps together at one time and never had a fade, and they got really hot. Wear, at this point .. none on the Axis Iron in about 3000 miles most likely as I only use them on racetracks and when I go to the Dragon/Dells Gap.
Now my BrakeTech Axis Cobra SS rotors, I have faded those on a racetrack. I used them one morning when it was wet and about 15 laps in, I had some fade. That was the only time however, and pad choice was not right for the SS material, as I knew my Ductile Irons were on next when it dried out. On the street I have over 18k miles on those rotors. 6mm and barely show wear. Love them.

At $800 a set, well worth the money. I love the 6mm rotors. They give me the feel I want in the lever. There is a difference between the 5.5 and the 6mm thickness here in feel.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
@M GmbH also ...

I love the BrakeTechs. I have had many types of rotors.. WSBK BatWing, Grafler, Brembo this Brembo that, alot..

So the T slots rattled. At low speed type parking lot , or pit area, the T slots moved and I could hear the rattle. Its like they fell forward alot when moving slowly forward.

The BrakeTechs, they rattle once in a while, but you can tell it is a left right shake between the pads. Again, only parking lot, or pit area moving around.

Performance rules. The braketech Axis Iron are flawless. I have put so many laps together at one time and never had a fade, and they got really hot. Wear, at this point .. none on the Axis Iron in about 3000 miles most likely as I only use them on racetracks and when I go to the Dragon/Dells Gap.
Now my BrakeTech Axis Cobra SS rotors, I have faded those on a racetrack. I used them one morning when it was wet and about 15 laps in, I had some fade. That was the only time however, and pad choice was not right for the SS material, as I knew my Ductile Irons were on next when it dried out. On the street I have over 18k miles on those rotors. 6mm and barely show wear. Love them.

At $800 a set, well worth the money. I love the 6mm rotors. They give me the feel I want in the lever. There is a difference between the 5.5 and the 6mm thickness here in feel.
I'd read various article talking about how cast iron had better friction properties, had better wear properties, and better thermal properties, but then had the disadvantage of being brittle, rusting, and, probably most importantly, were not as tolerant of the various different types of pad material. Also, stainless can be made thinner. So, I think for me, it being a streetbike first and foremost, I'd have to go with stainless....at least until carbon-ceramic bike disks became reasonably priced!

The Brembos I had probably rattled even more than your T-slots, but I quickly got used to it after at first thinking I'd F'd something up! :) But, I definately thought they were a big upgrade from the stock disks, which were pretty good.

I believe the T-slots are stainless, did they ever fade on you? I think I'd get the 6mm thick as I'd rather have more than enough braking capacity than worry about a lb or 2. $800 was about what I paid for the Brembos I bought, so that's all in the ballpark. I've seen some good deals on T-slots lately, just don't have the $$ right now.

LOVE those new calipers of yours though. How do they compare vs the HP4 monoblocks (which BMW was stupid not to make an option)?

Grazie!

·
Vendor
2,321 Posts
I'd read various article talking about how cast iron had better friction properties, ..........

LOVE those new calipers of yours though. How do they compare vs the HP4 monoblocks (which BMW was stupid not to make an option)?

Grazie!
the ductile iron rotors are awesome. I had zero issues with them on the track. Been as many as 25 hard laps at one time in 100 degree temps.

The GP4 calibers. Awesome. Bite point is the same every time you pull the lever no matter hot or cold. Consistent feel of pressure however goes to my Brembo CNC 19x20 master. $2000 for the CNC version, but well worth it too.

The M4 HP4 calipers were nice. I only ran them 2000 miles, and maybe 2 track days. I was on the Dragon with them 5 days however. Never had an issue, but I can say that the bite point of pad pressure contact was not near as good as the GP4 are.

The GP4 save weight. The GP4 just look cool.. the GP4 bite point is so nice.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
the ductile iron rotors are awesome. I had zero issues with them on the track. Been as many as 25 hard laps at one time in 100 degree temps.

The GP4 calibers. Awesome. Bite point is the same every time you pull the lever no matter hot or cold. Consistent feel of pressure however goes to my Brembo CNC 19x20 master. $2000 for the CNC version, but well worth it too.

The M4 HP4 calipers were nice. I only ran them 2000 miles, and maybe 2 track days. I was on the Dragon with them 5 days however. Never had an issue, but I can say that the bite point of pad pressure contact was not near as good as the GP4 are.

The GP4 save weight. The GP4 just look cool.. the GP4 bite point is so nice.
Yeah, sounds like the setup, for sure! Not sure I could ever swing the CNC M/C, maybe just the other (forged?) one. As long as the material and working geometry are the same it should feel the same, just maybe a little heavier.

I'd probably go with the forged M/C and the T-Slot's for street and the very occasional track use, and either the M4 (or M5?), or if I could afford it, the GP4's, which leads me to.....

How much were those stunning GP4 calipers? Me likey! :)

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
@M GmbH also ...

Time for an upgrade...6.75mm thick
BTW they're on sale here...
https://www.omniaracing.net/en/pair-brembo-pistabassa-front-brake-disc-320mm-for-bmw-hp4-20132014-p-40234.html

EDIT ~ Taking 20% off for VAT Google says 865.36 Euro equals
1062.68 US Dollars

Shipping couldn't be much more than $50 to the USA, $100 tops.

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts