BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone use this Brembo brake cylinder? Any opinions?I have the RCS and I am looking for even better feeling. I have talked with Brembo technicians and have been told it is an upgrade from my current setup (M4 calipers).

·
Vendor
3,226 Posts
The RCS is garbage compared to the Brembo XR01171. The newest RCS Corsa Corta is much better than the old but neither are true racing parts like the XR01171. I am a Brembo dealer now in case you have issues sourcing anything.

Now if you wanna be a baller: XA7G7G0 I HIGHLY recommend CASTROL SRF fluid...

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The RCS is garbage compared to the Brembo XR01171. The newest RCS Corsa Corta is much better than the old but neither are true racing parts like the XR01171. I am a Brembo dealer now in case you have issues sourcing anything.

Well MotoGP staff is really nice but also very expensive. I always use Castrol SRF because I also think is THE best brake fluid that we can buy.
Beside been a dealer do you have personal experience with the XR01171?

·
Vendor
3,226 Posts
Well MotoGP staff is really nice but also very expensive. I always use Castrol SRF because I also think is THE best brake fluid that we can buy.
Beside been a dealer do you have personal experience with the XR01171?
Yes. I had one on my bike then foolishly sold it. Will be getting either another XR0 or XA7 here shortly.

I am not 100% sure on the new RCS but the old one is not even serviceable. Throw away piece. The build quality and feel through the lever on the XR0 puts the RCS to shame.

The RCS is really a street master. The changing ratio is a gimmick in my eyes. I changed it once to see what I preferred and it has stayed at 19x18 ever since.

·
4,664 Posts
I had/have the billet/XA one on both RR/R1 and it's the way to go. RCS is garbage (feel, serviceability, quality, etc...) compared to XA.

$700-750 new depending where you get XA. Can be had used or ordered from EU for $600-700.

·
4,664 Posts
^ That's forged MC. It's a step up from RCS, good option for a mostly street bike with some track days. Costs about the same as RCS.

Reactions: the_gooch

·
Vendor
2,619 Posts

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It is really good to be able to own THE BEST but is our riding abilities that good? Me personally not so sure. I felt that the RCS was an upgrade compared to stock but now I reached the limit of RCS and want more feeling so I can modulate my front brakes better in the track. It is time to make a step up in brakes. That is why I went for the next in line (X01171). Is MotoGP better? 100% sure. Am I going to take advantage of a 1800+ brake master cylinder...I really do not know. Maybe in 2 years I can answer this question.

Tomorrow hopefully I will have in my hands the X01171 and by next week I will have the first test on the road. Real testing will begin next month in our small local track and June in Misano World Circuit.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
:laugh: Pretty sure the guys is just using Vale's name to sell more of them. It's a standard Brembo XA.
No kidding. If you search a bit there is a specific version of these that is called Valentino Rossi. I do not know what is the difference but I know that GP versions are calibrated individually so there might be a specific calibration V Rossi.

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
Found some comments from a 2014 thread on the same subject. Both Dagor6 and Dela provide additional food for thought. The price on the MotoGp version has come down from when these comments were posted.

Great answers, here is a little more insight:

Brembo makes airtight motorcycle products for MotoGP. I mean, really great bullet-proof stuff.

They also make things for superbike racing, club racing, track day enthusiasts and aggressive street riders. All of these products are various levels of meh. Brembo knows this and couldn't care less.

On the master cylinder side, the current options are RCS which can switch between two ratio sizes and is "an improvement." Which is a fancy way of saying something you spend $250+ on is better than something your motorcycle manufacturer spent $25 on.

The fixed ratio forged models are the next up, and really around the same price. These are somehow superior (although I have no idea how) and most riders pick the 18 size, for the best amount of feel. No idea what any of that means when it's pressurizing an ABS pump and the other half of the bike.

The stock BMW ABS pump also has some sort of accelerator function in it, you push the pedal a little and get a big thump.

The next Brembo up is identical to the forged, except it's CNC'd from billet. Your first indicator that something is messed up in Brembo-land is that this model is $700! and is considered a minimum acceptable standard for pro racers. Brembo won't tell you why you would pay more than double, but I'll tell you that a Brembo engineer told me it was because the tighter tolerances had significant impact on the piston seal efficiency when the thing gets hot. YMMV, but open your eyes and ask yourself why it would cost so much and be the main race system if it has ZERO on paper performance differences.

The final model you can purchase "is for MotoGP," and costs $2800, yet has no differences on paper either. This should be another red alert for you. Here's a link:
Brembo Racing 19x18 Billet Brake Master Cylinder with Standard Folding Lever - OPPRACING Products

The actual MotoGP model is apparently different as well, and is optimized for working directly on their MotoGP calipers which are much better than what they sell over the counter.

The RCS, forged, billet and GP models all come in a standard 19x18 and span the price from $250 - $2,800.

My advice, use your head, buy the forged poor mans 19X18 model, use the savings to buy new pads and be happy you dodged the RCS.
The comments and detail is good, but as a reply I have to say I don't entirely agree. The difference from forged to billet product can be huge.
The possibility of tighter tolerance on a pressurized system is a logical step towards an even better product. If you control the tolerance tightly, you also have - possibly - a higher scrap rate and in this instance also a slower production because it's manufactured with CNC equipment.

For our use, the RCS master is a sound enough choice, but warrented, the 18x19 as suggested leaves a potential source of failure behind, since you wont have a moving part that enables you to change the stroke.

BSB (british superbike) - a lot of the riders ride with the GP-R4 or the P4 calibers, which are not exclusive or ridicules expensive. They are however enormously effective and offer up a really good brake effect. Had I an endless supply of money, then I were running with P4 32/36mm TI piston calibers and a single ratio billet master. Money well spend.

And no, you cannot see the difference on paper, but production wise it's there. You pay for the added detail in production and the minute difference in capability of keeping pressure. Would I buy the expensive masters myself? No, money can be spend on riding time instead, so the RCS is more than enough for my needs ;)

I think between the two of us we have covered this subject more than required now!! Haha

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
IRC Master Cylinder

Does anyone use this Brembo brake cylinder? Any opinions?I have the RCS and I am looking for even better feeling. I have talked with Brembo technicians and have been told it is an upgrade from my current setup (M4 calipers).
Try IRC CNC Master Cylinder. Comes in 2 variants. 19x19 and 16x19. Both have 19mm pistons. I am using IRC Power UP 16 x 19. Earlier using RCS 19. Overall IRC has more braking power and feel and very less fade compared to RCS 19. The best part, IRC sells rebuild kits as well. Check following links.

POWER UP Radial Master Cylinder 19 - IRC Store

https://www.motodracing.com/cnc-billet-brake-radial-master-cylinder-19x19

·
Registered
11 Posts

I owned 2 of the Gp Master 19x18 and I swear it is my favourite part on the bike. The feeling is so much better than the rcs or the billet. I found that while trail breaking that extra feeling gave me more confidence braking into the corner. I actually preferred the stock master on the triumph 675r over the rcs. The only thing that sucks about the Gp Master is if anything goes wrong or needs service you have to ship it back to Italy for repairs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 47 Posts