BMW S1000RR Forum banner

Brand new tire meets screw... do I patch or replace?

Tags
battlax
3K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  MendingMotos 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,

I apologize if I am not posting this in the right spot as I am new to the forum. I had recently replaced my rear tire due to a puncture... not even two days after getting it back and probably about 60km's on the new tire I come out to see this... Now I know there are camps to this and one side will say its best to get it replaced all-together, but this is a tire with 60km's on it (Check out the new tire stubs and tire ink) and not to mention it was close to $600 to replace the last one. I'm not overly wanting to spend that again. The tire is the Michelin Battlax S21 if anyone is curious. Any experiences with patching a tire would be great. The only thing stopping me from buying the patch kit now is that I sometimes hit 250+ and am a little concerned if a patch kit would hold up to that.

Thanks in advance!

See less See more
#2 ·
I have used these on tires that do not see the race track, and the nail or screw is within the 1.5 inch of center area. Aggressive street is ok, but not the track.

Reactions: bnombe
#3 ·
I have the same Bridgestone s21 rear and the same puncture from a screw in the same location. I also have used similar patch kit mentioned. I have gone over 250kph a fair number of times and taken that tire to the track at intermediate level. It currently has about 2000kms on it. No issues whatsoever. Holds up fine. I bought the tire for 60$ because of that puncture so worked for me.

If you are not comfortable with it, i can take it off your hands lol (noticed your Canadian)

#13 ·
Like Benny said, patch from the inside and it will be fine

Reactions: bennymx
#14 ·
All the years I been riding and seen many many people patched their tires and I never seen one failed because tire was repaired. Patch it from inside and forget about it. It will bug your mind for little bit but soon you will forget tire was patched. If you have the money and peace of mind.....you can replace it too.

#15 ·
I think it's dependent on your riding style. If you're putting those wheels on a racetrack, new tire hands-down. If it's a daily rider that doesn't see a lot of abuse, the patch is likely okay.

Also... $600 CAD to replace a rear? Those look like Michelins if I'm not mistaken, and I'd think you could buy a new pair with install for $600 CAD unless tires are just way more expensive up there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.