BMW S1000RR Forum banner
141 - 144 of 144 Posts

· Registered
1,479 Posts
Nope .... you are happy with your understanding. I am happy with mine and willingness to generally keep my o-ring off of bottom by a bit.
Y no smack the pony!?
I'm asking this just because, by far, you have been the only one in this thread who has had some intelligence in counter arguments.

· Registered
20 Posts
Y no smack the pony!?
I'm asking this just because, by far, you have been the only one in this thread who has had some intelligence in counter arguments.
Well, some intelligence, I will accept that. Not that it matters much to you and this forum but improved my best time 2 weekends back (3s lower) and in doing so got into your bottom point squirm under brakes. I still don't like/want it :) So though you state
that is why you can not use compression damping if you want your front end to be able to handle more braking force/ harder braking.
I used 2 clicks of compression on the fork and repeating the lap times (with.5s) have kept the squirm away and my o-ring above bottom. I am OK with this :) I suppose I could have maybe adjusted the air gap a bit and tried that as well but 🤷‍♂️then I would have also had to mess with fork oil etc.

One thing which may mislead a lot is the name "shock absorber". In reality the spring(s) is the shock absorber. Spring is the component which (mainly) stores the energy impulse. And comp and reb damping is only used to control the energy going in and out from the spring(s). So the actual damper is a spring movement damper.
Spring (and air spring) is also the component which carries the actual weight/ weight transfer/ load /braking force, that is why you can not use compression damping if you want your front end to be able to handle more braking force/ harder braking.
So since you somehow convinced me to type some more. I dont understand your thought of not using compression damping in the braking case. So lets assume the bike has proper fork springs (sags seem reasonable with reasonable amount of preload and grip is generally good in corners). So bottoming of forks can be 2 situations, it bottoms and stays there which I would think is a case of insufficient spring (effective spring which includes air gap effect). The other case is the momentary bottoming and settles away from the bottom case. This could be (usually is?) a velocity issue where you are effectively overshooting the position where your spring can be happy supporting you in the stroke by the fact that you stroke velocity is too high. In this case compression damping can and is there to help. Damping is there to control resonance in the system.

I dont disagree with many of your basic points, and they seem to work for you. But I also dont think a lot of your statements of 'o-ring bad', 'you must bottom', 'you can't use compression' are limited in scope. But again, it works for you. You like brake squirm, I don't. Damping is not just controlling for force movement of the spring but the rate at which that spring force is acting, I guess that goes without saying given F = ma and 'a' being the rate of change in velocity. For my case compression might be helpful (in the braking case) because effectively my forks were slightly under dampened for the braking case and adjusting for that case did not negatively effect other areas of the track. Good for me. O-ring on fork is OK for me as I agree it is not a data logger but it does tell me around a lap how much travel I am using (somewhere on that lap) and I can use that as information to make a decision. And you can use compression to help bottoming if the bottoming is more of an over-shotting problem, as long as you then dont become over-dampened for rest of the track and start putting loads into the tire which effect optimal grip. And I still dont think bottoming (without full data logging and therefore knowledge of exact case for bottoming) is a good thing for the average track rider/racer.

All that said, I think we have abused the poor pony well enough :)
You can continue to use your views to better your lap times, I'll use mine. Maybe mine will limit me at some point.
Jeff

141 - 144 of 144 Posts