BMW S1000RR Forum banner

121 - 122 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Even if you have raced 20+ years, it seems that you do not understand that bottoming out is a dynamic event, not a static event, and that is why you do not lose control even if you bottom out.......
Well, I guess I have had enough, after reading all this stuff.

I went to pass on the inside into turn five at Laguna Seca. Hard braking bottomed the forks and I lost control. The bike would not slow down enough to make the turn, because it was bouncing on the front tire rather than absorbing the bumps. I cut off the guy I was passing (almost took him out) and went into the MotoGP trap outside of five. I didn't go down only because of experience on and off road. This is what bottoming out can do to control. (Probably a mid 1.30s lap).

I have two other examples of losing the front from bottoming. The point is that you never want to bottom your front end, unless you like risking your life for no apparent reason.

------

I need to improve the brake dive on my street DDC. It is becoming a liability. I run the compression at negative settings to deal with street bumps and dips. Yes, I have the wizbang separate sensors. This is why I was reading this thread. I want suggestions on whether to adjust pre-load, raise compression, or change oil, to help with the brake dive. I will not ride with the front bottoming out. THAT IS DANGEROUS.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Well, I guess I have had enough, after reading all this stuff.

I went to pass on the inside into turn five at Laguna Seca. Hard braking bottomed the forks and I lost control. The bike would not slow down enough to make the turn, because it was bouncing on the front tire rather than absorbing the bumps. I cut off the guy I was passing (almost took him out) and went into the MotoGP trap outside of five. I didn't go down only because of experience on and off road. This is what bottoming out can do to control. (Probably a mid 1.30s lap).

I have two other examples of losing the front from bottoming. The point is that you never want to bottom your front end, unless you like risking your life for no apparent reason.

------

I need to improve the brake dive on my street DDC. It is becoming a liability. I run the compression at negative settings to deal with street bumps and dips. Yes, I have the wizbang separate sensors. This is why I was reading this thread. I want suggestions on whether to adjust pre-load, raise compression, or change oil, to help with the brake dive. I will not ride with the front bottoming out. THAT IS DANGEROUS.
First you should understand what is "bottom out", and how long and why and where the front end bottoms out.
If the front end bottoms out, and front end/ front wheel of the bike stays on a straight (or constant) line, bottom out is no problem.
If the front end bottoms out too much/ too long, front end/ front wheel starts to act like a snake, and goes from side to side.
In both cases front end uses 100% of its total suspension travel.
Yes, front suspension should always use 100% of its suspension travel, that 100% includes also bottoming out. In ideal situation that bottoming out happens every time when you hit your brake mark and start braking. And depending on how much your bikes front end can carry load (weight shifting + braking force), it gives you a limit how much your maximum brake force can be when you start braking.
If you are using too much braking force compaired to the front end load handling capacity, front end will bottom out too much/ too long and front wheel starts to act like a snake, and goes from side to side.

121 - 122 of 122 Posts