BMW S1000RR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter HERE to be a part of August's Bike of the Month Challenge!
101 - 120 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
A bit related to fork oil change.

How many of you who are riding on a track with stock front suspension know what is hydraulic bottom out locks and what it does to front end functionality?
Have you checked if your stock front end has hydraulic bottom out locks or not?

Or are you just staring the (maybe even the very expensive Ohlins one!) zip tie, and smiling, because it always stays "20% off from the bottom out"...
And in reality you might already be in a situation which is almost the same as mechanical bottoming out, and you just dont understand it.

BTW, I have a K-Tech "zip tie" in my front fork. Maybe that is why my front fork is bottomig out? Should a switch to Ohlins zip tie, would that help? Or how about if add Ohlins zip tie to the other front fork? Win-Win!?

You might have seen this one in Ohlins(!) guide:

Well that's all from me...

https://media.giphy.com/media/13aE3Nj8HxO0us/giphy.gif

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Well, I'm not racing, so a zip tie is perfect for me.

Reviewing a video after each session is quite the comical job for suspension adjustments by the rider. I get that it's a data point, but it's more time consuming for probably little additional benefit.

And what about the rear? We should be putting a way to measure rear stroke and top out as well. A camera isn't going to do that very well.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Well, I'm not racing, so a zip tie is perfect for me.

Reviewing a video after each session is quite the comical job for suspension adjustments by the rider. I get that it's a data point, but it's more time consuming for probably little additional benefit.
Take one set, check the zip-tie, and let your imagination fly away, and write down your thoughts.
And then at home, watch the video, and compaire it to your imagination.
You might learn something...

·
Registered
231 Posts
Take one set, check the zip-tie, and let your imagination fly away, and write down your thoughts.
And then at home, watch the video, and compaire it to your imagination.
You might learn something...
I'll learn that the zip tie will fix my suspension issues that day. And that reviewing footage is really boring 3 days later and utterly pointless.

I'll be expecting a large package with a kit ECU and front and rear data loggers on you. Thanks buddy!

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
why don't you list some things in that video that you don't agree with, and show your work why you are correct.

instead of just sh!t posting
I'd disagree with Dave on a few things. The front isn't collapsing like that at Willow because of camber and speed loading the suspension. It would be going from 0 to 100% braking in turns 1,3 and possibly 5. 1:38 is dfs (dead f-ing slow) at Willow. I was turning high '35s/ low 36s on a stock prod GS 550 Suzuki on race compound Michelin Hi Sports in '85 for crying out loud. In '85 1:32s were fast!

I find the zip tie useful in one respect. If the bike feels okay in all the corners but is a little skittish in the high braking zones, a quick glance will tell me I need more compression. Otherwise I'd probably just try to ride around the issue. :rolleyes:

Edit: Timed a lap on my Gamma at Willow from an old vid. It was between 1:33 and 1:33.2 despite a Sunday Morning ride buddy crashing in front of me in turn two.
Almost fast when 1:32 was fast. :laugh:

Reactions: smash adams

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
Suspension techs probably all do a very similar base setup in terms of sag etc. based on their experience with the bike. After that your experience depends solely on how you communicate what the bike is doing in which corners. If you give them bad info, you aren't going to be happy. No one gets it right 100% all the time. Pretty sure Dave has made more people happy than unhappy or he wouldn't still be in the business. :wink2:

Reactions: CYCLE_MONKEY

·
Registered
243 Posts
Youll know when you bottom out, its that clunk you can feel/hear from the front end.

In 20+ years of racing Ive always avoided bottoming out. No travel = no control. Ever ridden a bike with no front suspension?

140mph stoppies entering corners and not bottoming forks.

But Maybe physics are different in Europe

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Youll know when you bottom out, its that clunk you can feel/hear from the front end.

In 20+ years of racing Ive always avoided bottoming out. No travel = no control. Ever ridden a bike with no front suspension?

140mph stoppies entering corners and not bottoming forks.

But Maybe physics are different in Europe
Even if you have raced 20+ years, it seems that you do not understand that bottoming out is a dynamic event, not a static event, and that is why you do not lose control even if you bottom out.

It is easy to do stoppies, from any speed, if you have short wheel base and high cog (rider and bike combined).

On thing is common with all riders, newbies and experts, they feel/hear all kind of ridiculous stuff. That is why I rather analyse data and/or video, and tell them what is actually happening.

Do you have/ have you ever had front suspension sensor and data logging in your bike...?

·
Registered
761 Posts
I read a few posts here and saw the debate, figured I'd add something to shed some light.... I'm far from someone who knows suspension well but I saw this Instagram and i remembered this thread so i took a screen shot....... definitely looks like he's got the front suspension bottomed out..... I'm just saying....

Attachments

101 - 120 of 143 Posts