BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have the hardware for a 2017 S1000rr front seat and tank cover?

Banned

Registered
these are simple, over the counter metric bolts. I went to my local hardware store and bought some stainless metric screws as spares, and also have bought eBay colored 'bolt kits', and the third option is to buy the factory hardware from a BMW dealer.

The metric screws from the hardware store were roughly the same cost as OEM BMW screws.
The colored ones off eBay were VERY soft and easy to strip, and also tend to fade quickly in the sun.

If you are really desperate and do not have a BMW dealer near you, and don't know of one that will mail you the screws you need, I would help you. But to be clear, these are off the shelf standard screws and are not anything unique or hard to find.

Reactions: S.Dot

Banned
these are simple, over the counter metric bolts. I went to my local hardware store and bought some stainless metric screws as spares, and also have bought eBay colored 'bolt kits', and the third option is to buy the factory hardware from a BMW dealer.

The metric screws from the hardware store were roughly the same cost as OEM BMW screws.
The colored ones off eBay were VERY soft and easy to strip, and also tend to fade quickly in the sun.

If you are really desperate and do not have a BMW dealer near you, and don't know of one that will mail you the screws you need, I would help you. But to be clear, these are off the shelf standard screws and are not anything unique or hard to find.
Note: Typically, consumer grade stainless fasteners are a LOT softer, easier to strip, and easier to break than plated carbon-steel fasteners, which are almost as good for corrosion resistance. Don't get the cheap black oxide ones, that's not a good coating for preventing rust, it's basically just an oil bath and will rust immediately.

The colored ones you got were anodized aluminum, something I'd ONLY use for fairing fasteners.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5

Thanks for the info. I have a dealer not that far from me that I will go to. I had the damn screws but put them somewhere and now I can鈥檛 find them.

Registered
using aluminum screws for a seat - that wouldn't bother me as I am always sitting on it while riding.
using aluminum screws for the passenger seat cover - the plastic fairing pieces are not very strong. The plastic mount for the metal piece will break before the hardware will (I had one break on my bike)

Reactions: S.Dot
1 - 6 of 6 Posts