BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anyone install race radiator on their S1000RR? Just bought one and I am looking for ways to install it. What should I expect in performance? It is a Febur race radiator.

·
Administrator
6,728 Posts
Looks like it uses the stock top mounts, does it have a peg at the bottom for the lower mount?

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think the installation will not be too hard. Performance wise is it 10-15C better? It is huge compared to stock (thickness and high), almost x2. In the winter on the track did you have to use tapes to keep the temperature high?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I think the installation will not be too hard. Performance wise is it 10-15C better? It is huge compared to stock (thickness and high), almost x2. In the winter on the track did you have to use tapes to keep the temperature high?
this is actually a thing, had a mate that had to tape up all the front and side ducts as the engine wouldnt come up to temp in the middle of winter.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Is this for Gen4 model ?

I'm very interested to buy one too. Practice shows that when you dont have fans, its tricky to keep engine temp down in paddock. Especially if you do standing start races.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is for my Gen 1. I noticed in Misano in Summer trackdays the water temperature to be high (100-102C) even with my race water pump (without race pump it was worst). So I decided to go for racing radiator. Honestly it is huge compared to the stock one. In the race start if you do not wait for too long and you do not, I do not think it will be a problem. Above a certaine temperature I know you loose power .

·
Registered
899 Posts
It is for my Gen 1. I noticed in Misano in Summer trackdays the water temperature to be high (100-102C) even with my race water pump (without race pump it was worst). So I decided to go for racing radiator. Honestly it is huge compared to the stock one. In the race start if you do not wait for too long and you do not, I do not think it will be a problem. Above a certaine temperature I know you loose power .
The issue with Rehm races, they often start 20mins after you finish the session. 20mins is not enough to bring the engine temp to reasonable numbers...

Club level racing can be a problem too, usually there is 1hr min between sprint races but if you add warm up laps and etc can be tricky in hot conditions. But UK isn't that hot as Misano.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I believe in the warm up laps, things with the larger radiator will be way better. The first tests even in 40C/104F with city traffic were beyond expectations.I will wait for some local track use and compare water and oil temperature.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The difference is really big and I believe it is going to be even bigger in the track. This is a comparison between the OEM radiator (red) and aftermarket radiator (blue). Even if it was hotter and I started with 5C higher temperture with the aftermarket radiator when I exit the traffic (after 5 min of driving) the difference was >10C in water temperature. Same with oil temperature with difference >6C which I am sure will be more when driving for longer period or in the track .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts