BMW S1000RR Forum banner

BMW Recall for Leaky Front Brake Calipers

Tags
recall
99K views 681 replies 97 participants last post by  Carlito 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Well, that had to happen some day, and it is now that day.

#3 ·
Better this day than a day down the road when someone has an accident from it or the leaking brake fluid eats someone's paint and/or ABS fairings!

#11 ·
Maybe I missed it, but where is the leak? I thought it was in the bleeder threads, or maybe I'm wrong. HOPEFULLY it isn't in the seals for the pistons!

#14 ·
They leak between the 2 halves or from the piston seals. Originally they said that if it leaks between the halves then replace the caliper. If it's piston seals then replace the seals as a kit. But you would just replace them with the same part and it would happen again. Pretty much every new bike that rocked up in the crate had leaking calipers. Brake fluid on the crate and on the wheels. My new M sport had brake fluid stains on the wheels. Was going to get it replaced. Didn't matter in the end lol. Some people have retained the calipers and bought a set of alpha pistons I think they are.

#16 ·
Was going to get it replaced. Didn't matter in the end lol. Some people have retained the calipers and bought a set of alpha pistons I think they are.
Well, I don't recommend plowing a perfectly good bike into the side of a cow at high speed just to get a new set of brake calipers, but I guess it IS an option!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Reactions: bennymx
#15 ·
Man, that sucks! It's not that hard to machine a flat surface to seal an o-ring to. I wonder how brake fluid affects carbon fiber??? It could EASILY be something that cause the resin to fail, and the wheels to start delaminating in that spot....not good. Wow, looks like BMW totally fornicated the canine on this version... And I was even toying with the idea of selling my '15 for a new one...

Reactions: bennymx
#18 ·
BMW Motorrad is announcing a recall and stop sale for the K50, K51, K52, K67 and K69. The recall is related to a potential leak of the front brake calipers in vehicles produced from 8/27/2018 up to 2/28/2020. A process is currently being developed to inspect the affected vehicles and repair if necessary.

This is a low-pressure condition that does not occur with brake actuation because the fluid loss (leak) path is closed. This effect will not cause a spontaneous and unexpected loss of brake pressure while riding or when the front brakes are actuated. BMW did not see any immediate safety risk.

Note: Out of the 9,392 bikes concerned, this affect approx 297 US S1000XR models manufactured from 02/03/2020 through 03/13/2020.

Info:

Overtime, a leaking front brake caliper can reduce the amount of brake fluid in the reservoir. Low volume could affect brake performance, increasing the risk of crash.

NHTSA Campaign Number: 20V476000

Manufacturer BMW of North America, LLC

Components SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC, SERVICE BRAKES

Potential Number of Units Affected 9,392

Summary

BMW of North America, LLC (BMW) is recalling certain 2019-2020 R 1250 GS, GS Adventure and R 1250 RT, 2020 S 1000 RR and S 1000 XR motorcycles. The front brake calipers may leak brake fluid when parked. As such, these motorcycles fail to comply with the requirements of the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard number 122, "Motorcycle Brake Systems."

Remedy

BMW will notify owners, and dealers will inspect and if necessary, replace the front brake calipers with an improved version, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin October 6, 2020. Owners may contact BMW customer service at 1-800-525-7417

#19 · (Edited)
When is the mid-cycle refresh model coming - hopefully late next year for 2022? They might as well accelerate and use it as a pretense to fix some of these mistakes. So many safety issues and recalls is an expensive lawsuit waiting to happen plus permanently damaging the quality reputation of s1000.

#23 ·
If anything, the problems would delay a more significant refresh, though I don't expect this. BMW has found a number of component/supplier-level problems (misdrilled crankcase hole, bad oil cooler connector, leaky calipers and a few more rare/minor). These have been fixed along the way (1.5 years of production) through normal warranty and a few recalls.

So now that they are stamping out the last of the most significant bugs, you think that a refresh with new/untested parts and/or suppliers will help the situation? Really?

My take is that the problem set with the K67 is par for the course - maybe a bit more difficult than expected - and that BMW will stay with its normal plan.

I do expect a new performance variant on the RR with some component upgrades, but that's different from a full model refresh.

#25 ·
I have told this story before about the Brembo issue with BMWAG.

I was told by an employee of SMR that the reason Brembo was bailed on was nothing more than money. Brembo and BMWAG signed a 10 year deal with the S1000RR which would have been the 2009-2019 years. The licensing fees from Brembo were just too high to engage in another 10 year deal. BMWAG having some stake in the Hayes Caliper company decided they could do as good or better with more control. maybe that will happen some day, but it is not today still.

Brembo owns the patent to 5.5mm disks. If you notice any company like BrakeTech offers only 5.0 and 6.0mm disks. They would have to pay Brembo to sell a 5.5mm disks.

Reactions: Tom Bernhardt
#26 ·
Patent law seems off track if someone can hold a patent on the width of a brake disc, but what do I know?

Leaking aside, for my skill level the Hayes mash brake pads into discs as well as the Brembos I've used. I can't tell if there is less feel - I would need to compare the calipers back to back on the same bike with the same pads, disks and master for me to have a chance of noticing a difference in feel.

Even though it makes pads harder to get in and out, I prefer how Brembo monoblocks retain pads over the retaining pin system the Hayes use.

Anyway - Hayes leaking sucks, and I'm glad Vinales is ok.

#27 ·
Patent law seems off track if someone can hold a patent on the width of a brake disc, but what do I know?

Leaking aside, for my skill level the Hayes mash brake pads into discs as well as the Brembos I've used. I can't tell if there is less feel - I would need to compare the calipers back to back on the same bike with the same pads, disks and master for me to have a chance of noticing a difference in feel.

Even though it makes pads harder to get in and out, I prefer how Brembo monoblocks retain pads over the retaining pin system the Hayes use.

Anyway - Hayes leaking sucks, and I'm glad Vinales is ok.
Patent law is a mess IMO.

I like the feel of the Hayes better than the previous Brembos, which had too much initial bite IMO. I don't have an opinion on their performance/durability though the Hayes have generally gotten good reviews.

Of course, the leaking calipers is a big, expensive and embarrassing problem for BMW.

#34 · (Edited)
Brake calipers largely function in the same way. Pads change the feel. I hated the initial bite of my 2016 stock pads. Changed to ebc and problem solved. Just put in Veshra XX's into the Hayes Calipers we shall see how those go at the next track day. Also don't be a noob like me and not know about the retaining clips on the retaining bolts on the Hayes calipers.

#39 ·
I got this recall notice in the mail yesterday about the calipers however at the top it has a stamp on it that states, "Remedy is not Available!" Fortunately I do not have the leaky caliper issue however does this stamped letter mean they cannot fix this situation or does it just mean they have no fix for the ones that are leaking and have to replace?

#41 ·
I had the dealer call me for the front brake inspection, oil pump/water pump replacement and wire harness tie down recalls. They did all 3, new front brake calipers (I had not noticed any leaks), new oil/water pump and harness tie down. Took them from 8:30 am to 6:20 pm to do the work. quite a day. At least there was a free early (2800 miles) oil and coolant change. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.