BMW S1000RR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

641 - 660 of 668 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Having had my ‘21 S1KRR for two weeks now I certainly agree with the Nissin v Brembo “bite”. Had Brembo on my Ducati and as am I’m learning the new BMW with Nissins, I’ve had one “puckering” moment where I thought I was applying typical hand force for breaking and made the nose dip considerably. This was during my first weekend with the bike. Probably also my fault in riding some twisties I’d never ridden before so soon and coming in too hot in a right-hand switchback. Haven’t done it again but definitely is more top of mind when braking on the BMW.
Yes, this is exactly what I am talking about.
You will get used to it, its all lever control, but at the same time in a panicking situation the brembo/hayes are probably going to keep you out of trouble if you don't know what you are doing. If you grab a handful of the Nissins you are going to get more trouble than you ask for.
Most guys will probably opt for a brake pad that goes the opposite way of the brembo's, to give the nissins less bite.
I am definitely interested in hearing more input on these from more riders.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
My dealer is saying they wont have Calipers till middle of May. Ridiculous!
And this is just the Calipers... We also will have to wait for those affected by the cylinder head recall... a really annoying headache right now.

·
Registered
722 Posts
And this is just the Calipers... We also will have to wait for those affected by the cylinder head recall... a really annoying headache right now.
Have you heard about the wait on head replacement?

I'm hesitant to take mine to the dealer for fear they will keep it for months, and I'll miss track days.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Have you heard about the wait on head replacement?

I'm hesitant to take mine to the dealer for fear they will keep it for months, and I'll miss track days.
My dealer has no idea... I told them to call me when they get parts, not going through the nonsense like I went through with the clutch retrofit and coil replacement

Reactions: cjc

·
Registered
617 Posts
My dealer has no idea... I told them to call me when they get parts, not going through the nonsense like I went through with the clutch retrofit and coil replacement
A big majority of them have no idea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
A big majority of them have no idea

I’m sure it will be just like my dealer in that they will have no idea when they will be getting replacement calipers until they receive a BMW communication that parts are in route to them for a specific serial number.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi deedub ,question. What area of the country are you from ? i think BMW is dispensing Nissin calipers area by area . My dealer has 25 sold bikes waiting and has heard nothing . There is roughly 5 million people in the surrounding area so BMW isnt going by size/population . Thank You
I’ve been
Hi deedub ,question. What area of the country are you from ? i think BMW is dispensing Nissin calipers area by area . My dealer has 25 sold bikes waiting and has heard nothing . There is roughly 5 million people in the surrounding area so BMW isnt going by size/population . Thank You
im in New York and been waiting to get my bike for the last two months ... any idea on the eta for the calipers ?

·
Registered
841 Posts
I’ve been im in New York and been waiting to get my bike for the last two months ... any idea on the eta for the calipers ?
BMW is fulfilling recalls for existing customers before unsold bikes. That's your problem. Your unsold bike is way down the list. It will depend upon how many customers come in for the recalls as to when they get to dealer inventory.

Despite my calipers not weeping, I pushed for a recall replacement because my pads were shot and I figured this was a good way to get that done free. My bike is also one of the oldest K67s in the US and has 14K miles on it, so I imagine that gave me some priority.

·
Registered
119 Posts
BMW is fulfilling recalls for existing customers before unsold bikes. That's your problem. Your unsold bike is way down the list. It will depend upon how many customers come in for the recalls as to when they get to dealer inventory.

Despite my calipers not weeping, I pushed for a recall replacement because my pads were shot and I figured this was a good way to get that done free. My bike is also one of the oldest K67s in the US and has 14K miles on it, so I imagine that gave me some priority.
I agree I pushed to have mine replaced too and BMW shipped parts to my dealer in less than a week (last week). Calipers showed up yesterday and work was completed that same day. Less than 1 week from time of request to work completed. My guess is BMW doesn’t want existing customer bikes piling up at dealers with parts on back order for weeks as this could expose them to a litany of expensive lemon law claims. So it would make sense to allocate current supply to existing customer bikes first

·
Registered
50 Posts
My dealer is telling me the only way I can have the recall completed is if I leave the bike there from the time they order the parts to the time they arrive and are installed. I’m really hesitant to do that as for some others I’ve talked with the parts took almost a month to arrive. Has anyone’s local dealer allowed them to just bring the bike in once the parts arrived?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I’ve been

im in New York and been waiting to get my bike for the last two months ... any idea on the eta for the calipers ?
I’m in northern Virginia and I waited 4 and a half months for my calipers to arrive before they would release my ‘21 to me.

·
Registered
119 Posts
My dealer is telling me the only way I can have the recall completed is if I leave the bike there from the time they order the parts to the time they arrive and are installed. I’m really hesitant to do that as for some others I’ve talked with the parts took almost a month to arrive. Has anyone’s local dealer allowed them to just bring the bike in once the parts arrived?
let them have it if you want it done, If it takes more than 30 days BMW could be liable for a lemon law claim which is great news for you.

·
Registered
2004 BMW R1150R, 2017 BMW R1200GS, 2020 BMW S1000RR
322 Posts
Weird. I had my bike taken to the dealer last Saturday for an unrelated issue (fuel pump). Called yesterday for an update. New fuel pump has been ordered and they are expecting delivery of it by tomorrow or early next week. The surprising part was that they had also ordered the replacement calipers (my calipers are not leaking). They were scheduled to arrive yesterday afternoon. At least in theory, why am I getting the calipers so quickly while they want to make you wait? I live in CO, which is hardly a center in the world of sport bikes. I was also told they had already replaced the calipers in 10 bikes. Maybe they are blowing smoke up my butkus.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
My dealer is on it's 11th set of Nissen caliper installs. They have mine but I don't have time to come and get them.

·
Registered
119 Posts
My calipers were replaced last Thursday. Rode it in the canyons earlier this afternoon. No leaks and the brakes work. The Nissin calipers look better in my opinion. Hopefully, this concludes the the Hayes experiment.

641 - 660 of 668 Posts