BMW S1000RR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

621 - 640 of 668 Posts

·
Vendor
3,690 Posts
There are 7 modules in the K67. anytime ISTA connects to the modules it will update either all of them depending on current code, or just the one needing update. the one thing you cannot do is select only one module and ignore all others if they need updating. So, it makes it complicated to leave the flash tune in the ECU and allow ISTA to connect. The flash tune process can only update the ECU, where if you work with me directly, I can update all modules in the bike, or maintain a previous working code back to the ECU so that you get exactly what was already running great and you know the character of the tune.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Why would you have to flash it back to get the calipers replaced?
From what I read it sounds like the abs needs updated when they replace the calipers, but wouldn't you lose this when you put your flash back on?
Or do you have to send the ecu file back out to the tuner for a redo?
Excuse my ignorance, trying to figure out how these ecu's work.
The dealer will do a full software update, thus wiping out any existing flash.

I had my calipers replaced yesterday. I reverted the flash to stock prior to bring it to the dealer. When I got it back, I reread the new ECU state and emailed it to BT. Unfortunately, this was on a late Fri afternoon and so I won't get the updated BT flash file until Monday. I'll ride some today with the BMW torque optimization tune (I got this previously to avoid paying for a software update).

Initial impressions on the brakes are very favorable. I seated the pads and then played with them some. Their feel is at least as good as the Hayes - very progressive going to hard bite.

The dealer thinks the calipers are the same as for the M (other than color). He also believes the pads are the same as the M also. He can't tell from the part numbers though because the recall part numbers are always different from the normal part numbers for the otherwise identical part.

This recall is costing BMW a shiton of money. The dealer says if you wrecked the front and wanted to buy these, the replacement parts would be over $3500. BMW is taking this extreme action (a full front brake system replacement/upgrade) for reputation and customer relations after the initial recall with new Hayes replacements failed (replaced weeping calipers with new weeping calipers).

·
Registered
337 Posts
This recall is costing BMW a shiton of money. The dealer says if you wrecked the front and wanted to buy these, the replacement parts would be over $3500. BMW is taking this extreme action (a full front brake system replacement/upgrade) for reputation and customer relations after the initial recall with new Hayes replacements failed (replaced weeping calipers with new weeping calipers).
Not all 21's are weeping, I think it's a relatively low number

New Brembo Stylemas are about $850 and I don't think they require a flash

·
Registered
841 Posts
Not all 21's are weeping, I think it's a relatively low number

New Brembo Stylemas are about $850 and I don't think they require a flash
Mine weren't weeping, but were replaced under the recall. BMW appears to be replacing all Hayes for all that ask, weeping or not. I asked because my pads were shot and I figured the recall was a great way to get a pad replacement and possibly a general brake system upgrade.

I rode about 150 miles with the new calipers, pads and master cylinder. I liked the Hayes, especially relative to the old K46 Brembos, but the new Nissin are noticeably better. They are still progressive like the Hayes, but definitely have more bite. It took me a bit of time to get used to the more sensitive feel - less pressure is required to get any level of stop - but I really like the new ones. Note, this is only on the street and I won't have the ability to track them for a while. But I expect them to be a significant upgrade in all venues.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I rode about 150 miles with the new calipers, pads and master cylinder. I liked the Hayes, especially relative to the old K46 Brembos, but the new Nissin are noticeably better. They are still progressive like the Hayes, but definitely have more bite. It took me a bit of time to get used to the more sensitive feel - less pressure is required to get any level of stop - but I really like the new ones. Note, this is only on the street and I won't have the ability to track them for a while. But I expect them to be a significant upgrade in all venues.
Mate, what you are describing has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with calipers, but 100% braking pads effect.

You have no idea what pads you had in Hayes and no idea what pads they put in Nissin and yet making far reaching conclusions about superiority of calipers.

This upgrade is not going to change anything at all.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Mate, what you are describing has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with calipers, but 100% braking pads effect.

You have no idea what pads you had in Hayes and no idea what pads they put in Nissin and yet making far reaching conclusions about superiority of calipers.

This upgrade is not going to change anything at all.
Probably. You appear to know way more about brakes than me. I was just reporting on the perceived effect of the recall, which replaced the calipers, pads and master cylinder. I've been told that the pads have the largest effect on brake performance and feel - sensitivity/power, linearity/progressiveness, bite, etc. -but you appear to be saying that all of this effect is due to different pads? So what effect would you expect from upgraded calipers and master?

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Probably. You appear to know way more about brakes than me. I was just reporting on the perceived effect of the recall, which replaced the calipers, pads and master cylinder. I've been told that the pads have the largest effect on brake performance and feel - sensitivity/power, linearity/progressiveness, bite, etc. -but you appear to be saying that all of this effect is due to different pads? So what effect would you expect from upgraded calipers and master?
Calipers = heat dissipation mainly

MC/Bore size/Piston size = lever feeling

Pads = sensitivity/power, linearity/progressiveness, bite, etc

Obviously, if you put 19RCS on 30mm pistons you would think you have aggressive bite and lots of power, but this is not true ofc. and vice versa.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Calipers = heat dissipation mainly

MC/Bore size/Piston size = lever feeling

Pads = sensitivity/power, linearity/progressiveness, bite, etc

Obviously, if you put 19RCS on 30mm pistons you would think you have aggressive bite and lots of power, but this is not true ofc. and vice versa.
I certainly have no comment on heat dissipation. That would require a long session at a track at a fast pace. The OEM brakes never faded away in the stock config even on a super-hot/fast day at COTA even as I melted my front Q4 - the Hayes with the stock pads - so have no evidence/opinion here about the Nissin other than the claim (by my service SA and others) that they are an upgrade over the Hayes and previously OEM Brembo.

The lever feeling is very different as is the sensitivity and power. The change is very significant so I expect others to say the same as recalls are done.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I certainly have no comment on heat dissipation. That would require a long session at a track at a fast pace. The OEM brakes never faded away in the stock config even on a super-hot/fast day at COTA even as I melted my front Q4 - the Hayes with the stock pads - so have no evidence/opinion here about the Nissin other than the claim (by my service SA and others) that they are an upgrade over the Hayes and previously OEM Brembo.

The lever feeling is very different as is the sensitivity and power. The change is very significant so I expect others to say the same as recalls are done.
It would be good to compare both calipers with same pads - say Z04s.

Altho, I bet the end results will be that both calipers are identical.

·
Registered
97 Posts
What I am about to say is based on dirt bike knowledge and different calipers.....so with that said Nissins are usually way more sensitive, they start to grab way earlier than Brembo's, which I think is what Tom B is saying.
Brake pads do make a difference, but in my experience not as much of a difference as the rest of the package. I run same pads on my Brembo KTM calipers as I ran on Honda Nissin calipers and the 2 are night and day. The brembo don't really start biting until 20-25%, where the nissin start biting almost immediately. Its rider preference but I think most people prefer the brembo because it takes a handful of lever with little issue whereas if you grab a handful of the nissin you could be in trouble.
When I would jump on my Honda after riding the KTM I literally almost went over the bars on the first couple lever pulls until I got used the bite again.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Just moved to NoVA, what's a good dealership? Bob's?
I deal with Bob's all the time. They'll do you right. Also, there's BMW Motorcycles of Gaithersburg. Not sure which is closer to you

Reactions: WingZeroX5

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Does anyone know the piston size of the new Nissin calipers/master cylinder? I want to know if the Brembo RCS 19 Corsa Corta I purchased a few months ago will be compatible.

·
Registered
2021 BMW S1000RR Hockenheim Silver
32 Posts
What I am about to say is based on dirt bike knowledge and different calipers.....so with that said Nissins are usually way more sensitive, they start to grab way earlier than Brembo's, which I think is what Tom B is saying.
Brake pads do make a difference, but in my experience not as much of a difference as the rest of the package. I run same pads on my Brembo KTM calipers as I ran on Honda Nissin calipers and the 2 are night and day. The brembo don't really start biting until 20-25%, where the nissin start biting almost immediately. Its rider preference but I think most people prefer the brembo because it takes a handful of lever with little issue whereas if you grab a handful of the nissin you could be in trouble.
When I would jump on my Honda after riding the KTM I literally almost went over the bars on the first couple lever pulls until I got used the bite again.
Having had my ‘21 S1KRR for two weeks now I certainly agree with the Nissin v Brembo “bite”. Had Brembo on my Ducati and as am I’m learning the new BMW with Nissins, I’ve had one “puckering” moment where I thought I was applying typical hand force for breaking and made the nose dip considerably. This was during my first weekend with the bike. Probably also my fault in riding some twisties I’d never ridden before so soon and coming in too hot in a right-hand switchback. Haven’t done it again but definitely is more top of mind when braking on the BMW.

621 - 640 of 668 Posts